Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford & GM co-developing 9 & 10 Speed Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Oh good god...just go CVT and be done with it...9 or 10 speeds? For christs sake...I wonder how much extra all the complexity adds to the cost of a vehicle?

I even saw a VW Amarok out at the Emerald VW dealer that had a huge sign on the door saying "I am now 8 speed auto!!".

I know the reasoning behind going for more and more speeds and closer and closer ratios...but why not work on a current technology like CVT's and get them working properly in all applications and all engine types instead? Would have to be cheaper than developing whole new gearboxes from scratch...
Cause CVT's are rubbish thats why, and because they are limited to how much torque they can handle. I think about 300nm is about as much torque as someone has been able to get them to handle. And alot of people complain about the way they work. Like the clutch is continually slipping and the engine drones away along with it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Wonder how long a CVT would last behind a Powerstroke diesel F-Series or 3.5 V6 Ecoboost?

I think Ford (and GM) are going down the right path torque converter autos, I think American Ford buyers have shown a dislike of the 6 speed powershift in various models form memory
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the point...CVT's exist, so why aren't they basing new tech on an existing idea instead of trying to stuff more and more gears into a box?

If you put ten gears in an auto box that's pretty much the same size as they are now (I mean, surely they won't make them heaps heavier and larger...will they...?), something has to give. The gears won't be as large, the bands and whatever else is inside won't be as large, they have to be more fragile than a similar sized five or six speed auto because unless you enlarge the box markedly, you have to make things smaller and more petite to fit inside it.

CVT autos now have a few issues...but who honestly thinks they just won't advance at all to be better boxes??
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The new Porsche 911 already has a 7 speed manual.
Would be awesome to see it in a falcon/taurus/mustang
Lets hope with all this focus placed on autos that they dont forget us backwards individuals who dont mind being a couple 10ths of a second slower
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's the point...CVT's exist, so why aren't they basing new tech on an existing idea instead of trying to stuff more and more gears into a box?

If you put ten gears in an auto box that's pretty much the same size as they are now (I mean, surely they won't make them heaps heavier and larger...will they...?), something has to give. The gears won't be as large, the bands and whatever else is inside won't be as large, they have to be more fragile than a similar sized five or six speed auto because unless you enlarge the box markedly, you have to make things smaller and more petite to fit inside it.

CVT autos now have a few issues...but who honestly thinks they just won't advance at all to be better boxes??
Just no.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

CVT's are horrible. Nothing can be done to fix their inherent design flaw. When you drive one, it's like operating a sling shot.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

CVT is junk but they could expand into it and improve the technology if they wanted.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #37
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Work colleague had her SSV smashed by a numpty, got an Xtrail CVT as a courtesy car. I asked her if it was the CVT one, she said whats that? I told her what it was and she said "Ohhh!!! So that explains what it drives like s***t" haha!

Ill stick to my awesome 4sp with cheap servicing, fairly easy to rebuild, good ratios since i dont race and still returns me 9's on the highway

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #38
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We went from the four speed auto in a VX Lumina, to a five speed auto in a Landcruiser 100 series, to the six speed auto in our G6E. You could notice the gear changes in the four speed clearly, the five speed in the Landcruiser was pretty much seamless, and the six speed in the G6E is just sublime. You virtually never feel teh changes, and the gears don't drop the revs much as they change.

Put eight or ten gears in an auto, and the engine will run at pretty much steady revs while the box changes up between very close rations almost imperceptibly...I doubt you'd even be able to sense the changes with that many gears which would have to be set close together in ratios.

...pretty much like...a CVT...where the engine "drones along" at a certain most-efficient rev range, and the gearbox does all the changing unnoticeably...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #39
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No. It will feel nothing like a CVT. Check out the link I posted about how a CVT transmission works. There's a big difference in the operation of a CVT compared to a traditional torque convertor automatic. I see what you're getting at, but they're nothing like the same.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #40
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Work colleague had her SSV smashed by a numpty, got an Xtrail CVT as a courtesy car. I asked her if it was the CVT one, she said whats that? I told her what it was and she said "Ohhh!!! So that explains what it drives like s***t" haha!

Ill stick to my awesome 4sp with cheap servicing, fairly easy to rebuild, good ratios since i dont race and still returns me 9's on the highway
My sister had a Mitsubishi ASX as a hire car and the CVT was letting the engine rev up to 5000rpm and the engine noise was ridiculous. I told her to use the sequential shift function to change ratios - this got around the high-revving problem, but shouldn't have been necessary.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #41
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Fiat/Chrysler have a 9speed coming out next year within their Guiletta based SUV.
Same on is going in the Chrysler 200. It's ZF box for FWD applications only.

The interesting thing is these new Ford-GM units will be there own, viz oot zee Cherman conekzion.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #42
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

How much to replace/recon a 10 speed tranny that goes bang just out of warranty ?
No thanks.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post