Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #31
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagnt
don't want to sound rude but if you don't like them DON'T READ THEM and leave them to those of us who do like them.
Reminds me of Larry Flint; "If you don't like hustler magazine, don't read it".
Actually, I'm suing Larry at the moment for giving my wrist carpel tunnel syndrome. Afterall, smokers get to sue cigarette manufacturers, so why not?

Oh, and to agree with the concensus, wheels does indeed suck balls.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #32
Falchoon

In these modern times of computers and internet it is very hard (impossible) for monthly hard copy magazines to be up to date with the rumour. No doubt the staff at these magazines do surf forums like ours and snip pieces of info to publish in their magazine. No different really than what a lot of people on this forum (and others) do. Lots of people find interesting motoring stories in other forums or online motoring magazine such as drive.com.au. Technically we are worse than Wheels or Motor because we may be infringing copyright where as the magazines are generally just copying rumours and spy pics posted by indviduals (no copyright).
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #33
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheel is utter garbage, and why people read it is beyond me, it's exaclty what you have said, "speculative" yet they will advertise that they have as "exclusive power figures" and all the other rubbish. Exactly what they did when a while back when they had what they claimed were exclusive photos of the new VE Commodore, and all it turned out to be was a computer generated image (CGI) of what they "THOUGHT" the new Commodore would look like, and as it turned out it was not close at all what the actual VE Commodore looked like, even the so called "exclusive new Orion pictures" which yet again where CGI images of what they "THOUGHT" the Orion would look like, and it didn't look like it now we have the pictures first seen in the Herald Sun.

Why people hold this magazine with such high regards is beyond me.

Wheels where just ****ed they didn't get these images of Orion, and the Cars Guide got them, so Wheels quickly pubslished on their site that they had the power figures....losers....

It seriously would not at all suprise me if half there information is gathered from forums as someone said, which would be all speculative.

Those power figures will not be the GT would have close to 310kw one would think, but we will wait and see.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:21 AM   #34
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I enjoy reading Wheels magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #35
mean & green
EL XR6

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
I enjoy reading Wheels magazine.

so do i!!!

i cant get over how many of you who say its shyte,holden biased & that it sucks are on here posting quotes(often out of context or innaccurate) and ing about a story ,month after month after month

if you dont like it stop reading it!!!!

andrew bolt,s columns in the courier mail always made my blood boil so now i dont read him ,simple just skip that page

i find wheels entertaining and have read every edition for over 20 years ,but of course i take it with a grain of salt, at the end of the day its just someones opinion ,like much of what is written on this forum ,some will agree some wont . get over it!!! :togo:
mean & green is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #36
gs1973
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean & green
so do i!!!

i cant get over how many of you who say its shyte,holden biased & that it sucks are on here posting quotes(often out of context or innaccurate) and ing about a story ,month after month after month

if you dont like it stop reading it!!!!

andrew bolt,s columns in the courier mail always made my blood boil so now i dont read him ,simple just skip that page

i find wheels entertaining and have read every edition for over 20 years ,but of course i take it with a grain of salt, at the end of the day its just someones opinion ,like much of what is written on this forum ,some will agree some wont . get over it!!! :togo:
Who needs to get over it? Read the rubbish if you want! I have read it for twenty years too, But it is still Shite! My old man has got copies dating back to the early seventies, So big whoopy do da! People can still comment on a thread that is on a public forum after all! Who needs to get over the fact that a lot of people think it's trash? sunshine?
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #37
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Hey I enjoy reading Wheels too I just want to believe what I read.

When we had the Orion thread earlier and everyone was speculating how the GT was going to make more power I made the suggestion that they could increase the rev range and make more power at higher RPM to which I was told quite bluntly that it was impossible and the stroke on the BOSS was waaaaaay too long. Wheels says it and everyone goes nuts.

I would also like to point out that during the BA development days they were easily making 320kw in the BOSS but the torque was very unimpressive so they pegged it back to 290kw and fattened the torque curve.

I often buy Wheels and Motor magazine as they are a interesting read but I want to know if I can believe what they say.

I remember when the GT was released it was considered PERFECT by Wheels now they consider it so crap they don't even bother testing it. Same as the XR6 Turbo read the first review back then the only downside was a "whooshy engine note" now it has a "meaty engine note" but a million other problems with it.

I'm confused.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #38
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Neither are worth buying in my View.
Both are published by ACP Magazines Ltd, ABN 18 053 273 546.

Buy either one and your screwed!
Old 28-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #39
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1973
Wheels and Motor Magazine are both Trash..Their articles are Written by snooty nosed Knob jockeys paid under the table by GM!
Like Martin Donnan, aka Street Tuner. I think you'll find he's responsible for the Aug Wheels article about the '08 Falcon.
Old 28-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

i guess , they will always sell mags, cars are like wedges, seen one seen em all ,but still want to see new ones, in the hope they may be differant, and there is always new models, and differant colours being released . i'm hooked .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #41
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels go a bit overboard with Ford and Holden when either brings out a new model. Remember they went completely insane when the BA was to and eventually was released. You'd be spewin' if you weren't into Ford or Holden.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #42
VSSII

Wheels, like many other high volume mags is so much more than just two Australian marques. But it is smart enough to understand a great deal of it's readers (young males with disposable income) still get off on the latest Ford Holden etc.. Hence the front page hoo ha.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #43
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
I dropped my subscription to Wheels about a year ago because I got sick of them having a "new" release on the cover but no actual road test inside, just the normal waffle about what the car was going to be. Whereas Motor and drive would have a test shortly after release. Also they would regularly test a high performance car and not have the acceleration figures!!
Same here, I stopped buying it along time ago for the same reason. Now, I have to thoroughly check it and see if its worth buying...

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't think there's bias in either Motor or Wheels... but what they do is beat up alot of drama to keep this Ford V Holden thing alive. That way it gives us (the gullible people we are) something to look forward to in the next issue or comparo... its just a game to them, and we buy the comparo's (especially when our brand wins the comparo) to watch the two clans take battle. Thats what we like so thats what they give us. They're in the business to sell and at the same time feed our hunger for more Holden/Ford bashing.

When Orions released and Wheels/Motor tell us how great the new Falcon is, alot of us will be eating our words.... and buying their magazines.
Old 30-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #44
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Now let's all go hold hands like good little zealots and read our latest Blueprint!
Old 30-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #45
3vXT

The current copy of wheels is the first i've bought in a few years, not because i dont like it (though i did always like motor more) but because i'm just not as interested as i used to be.
I see them both as being the same kind of thing as an internet forum, only in magazine form. There is always going to be stories that are a purely speculative and most of what you read is going to be someones personal idea. To me they are just a little bit of entertainment and as i can get the same thing on here and other forums i don't bother buying them anymore.
If you need more accurate details than is currently available on the orion or any other car that isn't available yet the only way is to wait for it to be released. Until then the best we are going to get is what you read on here and in magazines etc...

and yes, i do think they throw out some pretty wild ideas masquerading as facts.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #46
OLDYELLA
GOD BLESS TORQUE!!

Well there was obviously enough in the current WHEELS Orion issue..because 16 Hrs after the Wheels spoiler was posted on LS1 ,I was unemployed due to pressure and threats of action against WHEELS from Ford's Top brass...
..all this was before pic's at the tip and the Sun Herald Cars Guide release so it may well be as others have stated very close to the mark!! :hihi:
OLDYELLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #47
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDYELLA
Well there was obviously enough in the current WHEELS Orion issue..because 16 Hrs after the Wheels spoiler was posted on LS1 ,I was unemployed due to pressure and threats of action against WHEELS from Ford's Top brass...
..all this was before pic's at the tip and the Sun Herald Cars Guide release so it may well be as others have stated very close to the mark!! :hihi:
WOW!!!!!!!! GREAT 1ST POST . you know with a 1st post like that , you will have to keep up your profile. :
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #48
OLDYELLA
GOD BLESS TORQUE!!

All is good now ..Just been picked up by a new employer more $$$$ and a 3 day week : God knows where or what my next post will bring!! :
OLDYELLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #49
56L
a.k.a PAULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
:Wheels magazine! Not even worth using to light a fire.
LOL totally agree,is this the magazine that once voted the P76 car of the year : :togo:
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #50
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56L
LOL totally agree,is this the magazine that once voted the P76 car of the year : :togo:
Or the Camira car of the year.

Quote: