Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #31
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Mechanics school???? Don't know which one you went to but I was never taught that. In fact I was told as kid with my first motorbike to give it full throttle operation as much as possible but limit the engine revs.
Don't know where you guys have been living.

Even the packets that the rings come in have specific instructions about the run in of new engines. Its states that the engine needs to be loaded up hills with full throttle runs to bed new rings in. It also states that synthetic of friction modified oils are a big NO NO. Synthetics are much to slippery for new rings. The increased load bearing capacity (shear load)of synthetic oil will not allow the rings to contact the cylinder walls correctly and smooth down the peaks of the cylinder wall finish. This will mean that much more compression gasses and fuel will "blow by" the rings and contaminate the oil. I would make 5000km the absolute minimum Kms for a new engine to travel before synthetic is put in it.

Long gone are the days of babying a new motor. It was done a long time ago and it was mainly due to excessively tight clearances caused by poor production techniques and low tech materials in engine parts.
Now days we know much better. Engine life suffered considerably due to this "old" way of running in engines. We have precise engineering with very hightech meterials in our engines. It is critical to load the rings with as much combustion pressure as possible. Its the only way to seat the rings in and create the perfect seal. Poor ring seal will effect engine performance considerably.
I see the evidence of poor run in procedures every day.

I hope like hell you don't mean me RAPID TYPHOON. Why don't you grow up and get a life. Act like a child just cause someone is trying to educate you a little. Next time I will keep my mouth shut.
A simple search on here will show you many, many instances of guidelines on how to run in a new engine. the internet is flooded with thousands of pages and examples of how to correctly run in a new engine.
And if you read your OWNERS MANUAL properly you will clearly see that NOWHERE does it state to drive it like a baby or drive easy. There is NO mention of it. If I remember correctly it says to drive it normally and to make sure you don't sit at one speed, you must constantly vary your speed. Why??? Cause running your car down the freeway at 100kms/h takes NO LOAD. If you slow down and accelerate constantly you are loading the rings up on accel and sucking the crap off the bores on de-accel.

I challenge you to find ANYTHING from the manufacturer that states you need to baby a new engine.

So believe whoever the hell you want. I will be safe in the knowledge that my new engines will far outlive yours and will cost me considerably less in repairs as it gets on in life.
I will also blow yours away at the lights and it will also use less fuel, idle nicely, be less polluting and will be one of those "built on Wednesday" engines that just seems to go better than all the other cars the same.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #32
Fi.ES.TA

I think its just a lack of information 1st hand and i think thats what rapid is trying to get across one person telling you one thing and three telling you another i can certainly understand why he is pi#*ed about finding this out especially when you no you could of lost power which could of been prevented,ive always known from other
people around me to take it easy with a new engine.Being no mechanic and never will be i've just gone with the flow,altough when i asked my ford dealer about running it in he just said drive it like a car theres no running in to be done which i thought bulls#*t
but after reading your link to that site it seems he was pretty much spot on.

The old saying goes,you live and learn from your mistakes "Amen"
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #33
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By 'baby' I mean not taking it to revvline. Yes, you are correct it doesn't tell you to baby it, but it also doesn't say revv it. All I'm saying is according to you I've done nothing right, but when I asked the question to so many people both here and outside of the forum I got so many different answers. I searched the net, again too many variables. So I went half way. The car never went over 5,000 RPM in the first 1,500. Because I never really revv that high in real life. I've done what the manufacturer reccomends, and no one once told me I couldn't put synthetic oil in, not even the dealer. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying I wish you were here when I first got my car. I'm over having so many different people tell me different ways to drive my car. I don't mean any offence to you here, your educated in engines and the runnings of them, I'm not, so Ive just followed what I believe is correct and no one until now has questioned it. Honestly, no need to get sand, I'm a novice and not questioning your knoledge, rather comparing it to what I've discovered. Grow up and get a life, act like a child? Real mature man.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #34
Zetec Dave

Well said mate. You never stop learning until the day you die and we all mature and learn the right way of doing things by making mistakes and learning from them. I personally don't see why some people are so negative. Life's too short to blow a fuse on simple little things.

P.S. For the record, I only did the first few months of mechanics school and decided after the poor experience and the way you get treated at work as an apprentice mechanic I decided to change career from being a grease monkey to something a little more satisfying without the need to watch my back or *** everytime I bend over and have can't be any happier now with what I'm getting into :
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #35
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Nice. Real nice.....
You guys obviously don't need me in here..... Exit stage left.

Old 21-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #36
Fi.ES.TA

I would'nt go as far as that blownba i value everyone's info with a good knowledge of cars and your input is appreciated.
Old 21-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #37
Zetec Dave

Come on mate...just playin with ya. Can't we have a lil laugh sometimes? Besides the article you posted was interesting reading.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #38
curik

Guys, speaking of not putting synth oil into a new engine, I think the first oil change mentioned in the manual is at 15000 kms (which is the 2nd service)? Doesn't that mean Ford uses synth oil? I don't think any other type of oil has a service life that long...
curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Curik, yeah they seem to have synth in them right from the start, but it's a little thicker than 5-30 that's all, Synthetic is fine, the only time it's a problem is in older non roller cam pushrod engines, sometimes it's too slippery for the lifters to spin around on the cam (Holden 5 liters can have a issue with this on Synth)
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #40
StormyKnight
'09 Vision 5 Dr Man Zetec

For everyones information Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 - $29.90 - SuperCheapAuto (Starts 4/11/09)

I don't use this oil myself, but I know of a few who do so this may save you a few more pennys...
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #41
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys,
Missus took car in for 3000km service this morning. We asked if they were replacing the oil and filter. She got told that it wasnt needed. So I rang and asked.

I was told there is no swarf in new engines anymore and that there was no need to change the oil in the engine till its first service at 15k.

Also that it would cost $98 to change the oil and filter.

What should I do? Get my normal mechanic to replace it anyway? I thought it was always a good idea to replace the oil, even if you didnt have too for the engine sake?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #42
StormyKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
I thought it was always a good idea to replace the oil, even if you didnt have too for the engine sake?
I would have thought that besides the oil & oil filter, there is a whole list of things that need to be checked & tightened etc....

I mean it would be in Fords best interest to check fluid levels for example & check for leaks......

I'm sure our first service is free (3000km), but maybe it doesn't include an oil change & filter?

Interesting....but then all my recent cars have been older Diesels & I can guarantee it would be done on them!

Cheers
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #43
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I changed my oil and filter. No difference in anything really. Others claim it did wonders to their cars though...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #44
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
We sent ours for the update only (its only at 1000kms) and it did nothing. the trans still shifts like a tractor and it gets lost when going around coners and you put your foot back in it.

Vision Zetec.

VERY bad move running a synthetic oil in such a new engine. I would NEVER put a super slippery synthetic engine oil in any engine untill it had done at least 5000km.
They run a mineral during break in to help ring seating. I droped my oil at 500km and replaced it with a multigrade 15w 40 (stay away from sm grade) and will run a synthetic after 7,500km.

Go on the mainlube site on here (sponser section) and ask the question you will get the same answer.

A sythetic will not allow your rings to rub down the bores properly as its just too slippery.
3000km is probably alright as most of the ring bed in it done in the first 20 miles but its still not preferred practice.
What you do to your new engine in the first 20 miles are so important its not funny. It will set the tone for ring sealing for the life of the car and will mean the differnce between no power, short engine life and dirty oils from excessive ring blow by compared to maximum HP and super clean internals.
Thats a very interesting statement. After discussion with a reputable Ford dealer in SE melbourne I confirmed that they service all of the new falcons (xrt's) with 5w30w castrol edge.
hodge_williams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #45
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car is still working. Not running any rougher, isn't any more gutless, it feels the same, and I had 5W30 put in at 4,000km. The dealer didn't have any qualms with doing it either, infact they were quite happy to do it. When I said I wanted the transmission oil changed they rang me asking why, as some members had reported smoother shifts. I'm sure if they had concerns with the oil they would have raised this also, as I told him it was Castrol 5W30. Not to say blownba is wrong by any means, I'm clueless, just saying what I know...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #46
Fi.ES.TA

I never had my oil changed at the 3000klm free service
waited till i had my 15000klm.It definatley runs smoother and quiter with mobil 1 5w30.
Old 17-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #47
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Damn Bastards!!!
We got duded by Knox Ford on our 3000km service.
I had a list of things I wanted looked at, auto trans problems still going on (we suposedly had a reflash at one week old when we first complained), rattle from back seat, air con not cold and car ran like a bucket with it on, panel alignment of back doors, and a OIL LEAK from the sump, and massive fuel consumption (never see better than 9.6L/100)
We were asked to come in the day before to go for a drive with the service advisor. he wasn't there when we went in but we got some old git who drove it instead....All I can say is he needs a MASSIVE lesson on customer service as all he did was systamatically blow us off on everything we say and treat us like ignorant fools. All I can say is the stuff that was comming out of his mouth showed how much of an ignorant fool he was AND a very poor excuse for a mechanic as he was WAYYY off the mark.

Anyway we drop it in the next day and this is what they found.

1. Oil leak from sump. 2 bolts loose (yeah right, we'll see)
2. Air con was over gassed. It had .59kg of gas when it should have .36Kg. (WTF??? looks like the factory likes to over gas the cars, I have seen it before though)
3. Trans or ECU accepted another program update from Ford when it really shouldn't of as we already susposedly had it flashed to the latest (they obviously didn't do it in the first place)
4. They couldn't find the rattle in the back seats they suspect parcel self (Now I will have to fix it my self)
5. Panel alignment acceptable, they looked at other cars and they are the same (crap)
6. Economy should improve once car has done a few more Km's. (I don't even know where to begin in telling you what is wrong with that statement, any good engineer or mechanic will understand)

So we go to pick the car up and guess what!!! There is a massive DENT in the bonnet!!!!!!!

I am feeling pretty bewildered at this stage and remember why I never deal with Knox Ford.
It turns out that the have had alot of this happen when the 'boys' don't drop the bonnets to shut them but rather push on the bonnet right on top of the latch and they dent really easy. They have had to fix quite a few apparently and have had had team meetings on the subject. WTF????

So know we need to give them the car to get the bonnet fixed and resprayed 9can't remove the dent cause its twin panel under there) it'll take up to 5 days!!!!!

To say i am over this car is an understatement. Lucky its not my car, I don't drive it my wife does, but she is starting to wonder if we should have gone with the mazda instead. If it was my car I would drive it into a brick wall cause it would drive me nuts how badly it actually drives.

Had enough of Ford and their poor quality of service. If I treated my customers the way they do I would have none left.....Or someone would knock me out for being such and arrogant twit.

They better spray this bonnet PERFECTLY is all I can say. If its not right and matches the car perfectly they will be doing it over and over again till they get it right.

I think a call to Ford customer service might be in order too.

End Rant.

Old 17-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #48
StormyKnight

Mate don't be too dishartened! I have a feeling I know how your feeling.

When we picked up our new car it had a scratch on the passenger door, apparently done by the detailer!

So we had to have it returned for a day which ment for us 2 days since we live out of town. Luckily we were lent a car from our Ford dealer, are you getting one?

Anyway the spray job was good, they did the whole door + part of the rear door on that side to blend - you can't even tell it has been done it matches really well.

The only other issue we had was since that repair the window wouldn't fully go down...

To Ford's credit they had a guy travelling past & he came & fixed the issue - the side mirror wiring wasn't routed correctly thus stopping the window.

So at the moment we have no issues, I think we have done 1000km total.

Cheers
Old 17-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #49
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get stuck into them blownba... They honestly dont know how lucky they are, that the fiesta's in general (more so the manuals it seems) are good cars... Because I cant see them selling anything...

We have the same crap you do with service... Honestly I wish the fiesta was made by mazda sometimes, their service is that awful...

Ring up Ford Oz... The only way for them to know is for you to tell them how it is....

also on a note... I noticed our rear passenger door doesnt shut quite so easily as the other side... is that what your saying by panel alignment?
Old 17-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #50
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Pretty much.
Our rears have the bottom rear of the doors sticking out more than anywhere else.

I noticed because I was trying to look where everyones stone chips were occuring and I thought there is no way in hell a stone could hit the door frame cause the door sits out further. Its dumb.
And yes the passenger door is heaps harder to close and my girls complain about it.
When I look in the rear view mirror (both sides) I can see the panels badly misaligned... But they all do it!!!!

If I get that from a Ford service rep again I'll do my nana.

Old 17-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #51
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Very interesting read. It makes me think $ hit @ the same time.

Last edited by vegabass; 17-11-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: crappy AFF filter
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #52
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ours is only on the passenger side rear door.. But its not too bad... Im not happy, but its passable. Its like the hindges are a little loose or something and its sagging because of it....

Also in regards to the flash upgrades... Isnt there a thread here somewhere that shows you how to get into the computer software by starting the car with some buttons pressed. I seem to remember it saying it shows the firmware number...

That'd be awesome... Take a photo of it before you take it in.... When they say they'd done it for you..... you go to the car, switch it on and check.... then ask why its the same version number as before...

I think i will do that for the next service...
Old 17-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #53
StormyKnight

Just let us know which buttons please.....
Old 17-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I got 1850km on my Fiesta, what happens on the first service? Will they replace oil/filter and should I request an ECU firmware upgrade?

Did anyone bring in their own oil/filter?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #55
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the oil and filter changed at the 3,000km service. Normally Ford will just do a look over the vehicle, nothing major. But I wanted the oil changed. I put Castrol Edge Sport 5W30 in it. Some have suggested that putting a fully synthetic oil in so early could be bad for the engine? Not 100% sure. But it's definitely not compulsory. They should by default look for new software, but if you tell them they have no excuse to forget it. Just get the staff to put it on your service request. :-)
Old 17-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #56
BruceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
Damn Bastards!!!
....All I can say is he needs a MASSIVE lesson on customer service as all he did was systamatically blow us off on everything we say and treat us like ignorant fools. All I can say is the stuff that was comming out of his mouth showed how much of an ignorant fool he was AND a very poor excuse for a mechanic as he was WAYYY off the mark.
I must admit I love my new Fiesta, but Ford Service has been .

We need a new family car and I was thinking Falcon, but I'm not going to trust both our cars to a company that competes with telstra Australia's poorest customer service.

Every other car company I've dealth with - Mitsubishi, Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru, Toyota - seem to manage a half decent job. Sure there are some bad dealers, but you learn to avoid them. With Ford I don't know how you find a decent dealer. You'd think they'd get on this. :togo:

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #57
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See I understand how people say their dealer is bad, but the good dealers exist. I know there are crap loads of dealers, but why give them your money? I went to something like 15 dealers before I got my car. When I found the dealer that treated me the best, I stuck with them and got my car. I'm telling you guys, good Ford dealers exists. I know plenty of VW, Toyota, Holden and Mitsubishi dealers that suck balls too.

If your part of the South-East coast of QLD, Pacific Ford Sunshine Coast! Top dealer.
Old 17-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
I had the oil and filter changed at the 3,000km service. Normally Ford will just do a look over the vehicle, nothing major. But I wanted the oil changed. I put Castrol Edge Sport 5W30 in it. Some have suggested that putting a fully synthetic oil in so early could be bad for the engine? Not 100% sure. But it's definitely not compulsory. They should by default look for new software, but if you tell them they have no excuse to forget it. Just get the staff to put it on your service request. :-)
Sweet, I drive the car fairly hard, I'll leave it until 10,000km for the filter/oil change and then we'll go full synthetic from then on

Thanks for the help.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #59
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife dented the bonnet on hers the first time she looked at the engine (very shallow one), you have to be carefull with them as they are very soft, a dealer should know this. It's a hold and drop job for sure. But all the panels line up fairly well, there's a mm difference between sides maybe where the doors sit but pretty close.

I'm friends with the guy that does the pre delivery checks and I know he does a good job making sure everything is torqued up as it should be but then again I bet alot of dealers don't check, he's told me most cars come from the factory with a few loose ones
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #60
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Sweet, I drive the car fairly hard, I'll leave it until 10,000km for the filter/oil change and then we'll go full synthetic from then on

Thanks for the help.
No worries bru.