Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Last Generation?

With the oil companies slowly and gradually putting the squeeze on the world with the demand (car numbers increasing) on diminishing oil supplies, I think its clear that our generation may be the last to enjoy big powerful cars. If it wasn’t for the Global economic crisis, look at what was happening to oil/petrol prices. A barrel of oil got up to $160.00, and was climbing EVERY day by a few dollars. Look at whats happening now, the price is very slowly creeping up to pre GEC prices again. $1.28.9 today

All this hybrid/hydrogen/electric debate started going into overdrive (excuse the pun). How many more years before the traditional big aussie family/performance car will not be sustainable? 10 years max? we can drive what we have now, big cars with big engines/grunt, for a little while now. Our grandkids will be driving prius/smart car/hydrogen eco friendly type cars. I don’t know how these eco friendly type cars will be able to tow boats or caravans (can you imagine reversing an electric car or prius into a boat ramp….)

I decided to buy an LPG car at the height of the barrel/petrol prices (I chose a VE over a BF because my kids kneeboard wouldn’t fit in the raised boot of the LPG falcon!), but even my car WONT start without petrol in the tank, then it changes over to LPG automatically. My EA duel fuel was an unexpected acquisition as my dad died, so I have 2 LPG cars, but I am still RELIANT on petrol for both.

Do you think your grandkids will be driving 1800KG cars with 4-6 litre engines….dont think so.

Enjoy your big powerful cars now while you can, we may be the last to do so

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post