Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #511
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VF Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
We are talking about two different things here.

Exterior styling - which is a matter of personal taste but which does nothing to lift the standard of anything anyway and certainly not in this case.

Features / technology where it does lift the barrier and bring us closer to attaining global standards.

I've little doubt that FoA will be watching this closely but I'd be equally sure that much of the tech is already on the drawing board for the next round of updates.

Still doesn't change the simple fact that the biggest problem Ford has is the dealer network - the same as it has been for two decades.

Russ
Dead right about exterior styling and I would suspect the powers that be at Holden would be jumping for joy as the masses have taken to the styling. A Holden dealer told me that all Holden dealers were pleasantly suprised by both the looks and feature upgrades.

I would be very suprised if FoA weren't already aware of the features that the VF was going to have sometime ago as they both share similar suppliers and general trade speak.

The think your comment in regards to the dealer network is not valid at all seeing the large car segment has not just diminished for Ford but has for Aurion & Commodore as well. Oh and the fact that there hasnt been a Falcon ad for 18 months now can't be the fault of the dealer body cant it? And I am not here to blame Ford for the lack of advertising at all. There is no point spending your marketing bikkies on somethin the masses arent overly interested in. Harsh but ture.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #512
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
We are talking about two different things here.

Exterior styling - which is a matter of personal taste but which does nothing to lift the standard of anything anyway and certainly not in this case.

Features / technology where it does lift the barrier and bring us closer to attaining global standards.

I've little doubt that FoA will be watching this closely but I'd be equally sure that much of the tech is already on the drawing board for the next round of updates.

Still doesn't change the simple fact that the biggest problem Ford has is the dealer network - the same as it has been for two decades.

Russ
Its not the dealers. Its Ford themselves. Up here in Queensland 2 of the major Brisbane dealers are great. I've had them go out of their way to help me, but I was buying a decent amount of cars off them (for myself personally and business). Ford CRC on the other hand have given me the worse impression of any business I have ever dealt with.

For this reason alone I will never buy a "New" Ford again.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #513
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Interior yes!, the rest looks like a cheap Korean Aurion copy!
Old 13-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #514
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
It's also the fact they're taking that weight off the wheels and distributing it easily - Like pushing a trolley with 20kg on the front is much harder than doing it with 20kg in the middle, and improves handling and how easily it turns, so on.

as for fuel burn, a lot of it also has to do with advances in transmission losses, fuel cuts and EFI tuning that they learn over the years. Use of lightweight materials in the interior helps a ton with this too.

I tend to use my phone as an mp3 these days instead as well. I find it easier than faffing about with cd's and I can play what I want
looking forward to some real world road test`s.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #515
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Commodore hasn't had a body change in seven years, it understandable that VE sales are low,
so I have a feeling that VF will give Holden a healthy boost in sales, especially when the
fuel economy numbers are released..

Styling is a matter of taset and I can either take or leave the VF, it's not an offensive design,
so Ithink it will probably do quite well against the Asian imports in so far as attracting buyers
who would normally buy Camry, Accord, even the Sonata. If the 3.0 V6 gets close to 8 l/100 km, look out..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #516
gtfpv
GT

the VF . will compete driectly against the FU , the FU will have an in your face styling kit, which ford believes will leave the VF behind the FU falcon , the FU will feature new technologies like WTF , and LOL , - Weather Traction Feature, and Luxury Onboard Logistics , which will leave the perception of the commadore in a VF ordinary state .

Last edited by gtfpv; 13-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #517
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
the VF . will compete driectly against the FU , the FU will have an in your face styling kit, which ford believes will leave the VF behind the FU falcon , the FU will feature new technologies like WTF , and LOL , - Weather Traction Feature, and Luxury Onboard Logistics , which will leave the perception of the commadore in a VF ordinary state .
I personally, am not sure if this is a pun or the FU will actually have WTF and LOL

I sure hope that the FU is also DTF... Digital Technological Flappy gearbox
Old 13-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #518
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is WTF & LOL technologies?? Those letters mean something else to me that arn't technologies!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #519
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
What is WTF & LOL technologies?? Those letters mean something else to me that arn't technologies!!
You speak computer?!

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #520
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Dead right about exterior styling and I would suspect the powers that be at Holden would be jumping for joy as the masses have taken to the styling. A Holden dealer told me that all Holden dealers were pleasantly suprised by both the looks and feature upgrades.

I would be very suprised if FoA weren't already aware of the features that the VF was going to have sometime ago as they both share similar suppliers and general trade speak.

The think your comment in regards to the dealer network is not valid at all seeing the large car segment has not just diminished for Ford but has for Aurion & Commodore as well. Oh and the fact that there hasnt been a Falcon ad for 18 months now can't be the fault of the dealer body cant it? And I am not here to blame Ford for the lack of advertising at all. There is no point spending your marketing bikkies on somethin the masses arent overly interested in. Harsh but ture.
Despite VE getting older and older and only getting relatively minor updates, Falcons market share has never picked up, even though for many of those years it was clearly the better car.

Other models Ford have imported have been highly competitive, but have failed to set the charts on fire. The usual explanations are bandied around, supply problems, marketing etc, but the truth is during the life of those cars they never really pick up.

The common link is not the cars, but the dealer network and the lack of after sales support from Ford. Sure marketing plays a part too, but some on here seem to believe that everyone forgets the local Ford dealer is a jerk the moment they see a good car commercial.

I think the rot started with the success of the BA Falcon. It was a dam sexy and well equipped car and was ahead of the game for its time. Ford sold a lot of them with a strong marketing campaign and a car with great road presense. Lots of folks who hadn't considered a Falcon in years, went and sat behind the wheel of the B series cars as an owner or as a fleet driver.

Then as the problems started to show up and Ford did their usual duck and weave around warranty issues, which can be summarised as do the least and inconvenience the customer the most, people had to have a lot of interaction with their dealers and Ford CRC and what they saw and experienced they didn't like.

FG is still paying the price in sales for that.

Then almost incomprehensibly Ford repeated the bad customer experience for Territory. Some months Terri now struggles to outsell Kluger, a very much inferior vehicle that isn't exactly a young design either. Chalk that up to the negative media coverage and past owners of Territory that Ford and the dealers let down. Territory might be a success compared to Falcon, buts not much to boast about. Given how it drives, it should be doing better.

The Ford range today is the strongest its been in years if not at any time in the local companies history. These days it takes an exceptional Ford product to break through the bad rap Ford has in the marketplace. They can't crack the top three, let alone be number one as a brand. Are people going to seriously argue that the reason is a supply issue for every imported car and the lack of a a decent tv add as the ONLY problems Ford has right now?

Like Russ said its a two decade problem and Ford have utterly failed to address it. It simply can't be brushed away as a non issue.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 13-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #521
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know what you're saying DanielXR8. While I now have a good relationship with my dealer (servicing, sales was top notch) it's hard to compete with the likes of say Lexus.

I guy I know bought a Lexus IS 250 (not sure of model, was about the same as my F6) and every time he goes for servicing he gets:
- Loan car for the day
- Tea, coffee, breakfast etc provided at drop off
- Bottle of champagne in the passengers seat when he picks it up

He thought it was a joke the first time, then they did it again for the next service, and the next service after that. He queried the service manager and he said it was about the "experience" of owning a luxury car rather than just good service. They want you to feel like you've got something special, not just because of the money you spent but because of the brand you bought.

This philosophy could see the revival of many local manufactures, unfortunately, that's got about as much chance of happening as me winning the lotto.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 13-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #522
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

what do they charge for a service? wont be $250
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #523
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is all relative, for the lexus treatment you pay in other ways, buy parts, take a hack saw to give them an arm and a leg.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #524
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
it is all relative, for the lexus treatment you pay in other ways, buy parts, take a hack saw to give them an arm and a leg.
This is true... and I would guess this is where the local market has the advantage of cheap / after market parts in steady supply.

Giant Cranium, it was about the same as mine ~$300.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #525
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
Seriously the FU will need to have Facebook and Twitter as standard so you let your friends know where you are (and the thief) plus you can have a FB page so your car will like other cars as they drive past each other.

Also don't forget the GPS so the COPS can find you and know when you ripped a skid or you went over the speed limits

Pray and hope that they don't use Windows 8 as the OS
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #526
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Yep the 2014 Ford is going to be awesome

I think I will put my order in for one of these in 2014

djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #527
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Despite VE getting older and older and only getting relatively minor updates, Falcons market share has never picked up, even though for many of those years it was clearly the better car.

Other models Ford have imported have been highly competitive, but have failed to set the charts on fire. The usual explanations are bandied around, supply problems, marketing etc, but the truth is during the life of those cars they never really pick up.

The common link is not the cars, but the dealer network and the lack of after sales support from Ford. Sure marketing plays a part too, but some on here seem to believe that everyone forgets the local Ford dealer is a jerk the moment they see a good car commercial.

I think the rot started with the success of the BA Falcon. It was a dam sexy and well equipped car and was ahead of the game for its time. Ford sold a lot of them with a strong marketing campaign and a car with great road presense. Lots of folks who hadn't considered a Falcon in years, went and sat behind the wheel of the B series cars as an owner or as a fleet driver.

Then as the problems started to show up and Ford did their usual duck and weave around warranty issues, which can be summarised as do the least and inconvenience the customer the most, people had to have a lot of interaction with their dealers and Ford CRC and what they saw and experienced they didn't like.

FG is still paying the price in sales for that.

Then almost incomprehensibly Ford repeated the bad customer experience for Territory. Some months Terri now struggles to outsell Kluger, a very much inferior vehicle that isn't exactly a young design either. Chalk that up to the negative media coverage and past owners of Territory that Ford and the dealers let down. Territory might be a success compared to Falcon, buts not much to boast about. Given how it drives, it should be doing better.

The Ford range today is the strongest its been in years if not at any time in the local companies history. These days it takes an exceptional Ford product to break through the bad rap Ford has in the marketplace. They can't crack the top three, let alone be number one as a brand. Are people going to seriously argue that the reason is a supply issue for every imported car and the lack of a a decent tv add as the ONLY problems Ford has right now?

Like Russ said its a two decade problem and Ford have utterly failed to address it. It simply can't be brushed away as a non issue.
When you have a dealer network of nearly 300, you will have a few bad eggs. Think of it as a classroom with 30 kids. Some will tell you the truth, some won't. That's life. The Forum Chairman and now yourself talk about 2 decades of issues with ford dealers. Well the last time I checked 2 decades ago started in the year 1993 Ford Australia was #1 through to 1996 with a smaller number of Ford Franchises than what is today. It wasnt till 1996 that there was a sales slide. Enter AU falcon. Great car mechanically but at the time very polarising in looks. Made it very difficult for Ford and its dealer network. Then, they pull a Ford Dealer Principal in as President of Ford Australia and guess what? The company turns its local production dilema into a ovetime. And if it wasnt for that person, the likely hood of a 2014 Falcon would have been zlich as there would not have been a Territory. There would have instead have been a high ride BA Wagon as it was going to be sort of like the advertura which was a roaring success. I can see how a couple of people could come to the conclusion that based on 1 or 2 experiences that the Ford Dealer Network is useless but really when this statement stemmed from a Forum Director/Chairman, I am a little suprised.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #528
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if it's been posted but have been told that the HSV's will have Camaro style small square tail lights.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #529
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but have been told that the HSV's will have Camaro style small square tail lights.
If WHEELS is accurate..photo in December issue....
Old 14-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #530
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

An long as the next Falcon doesn't look like another update of an AU then I'll be happy.
Old 14-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #531
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
An long as the next Falcon doesn't look like another update of an AU then I'll be happy.
Really? I reckon if it looked like an updated AU, I'd buy 3.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #532
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a picture of a SS VF in todays herald sun, looks okay.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #533
FPV

SS-V Details are due at 12am tonight according to Car Advice.

Here is the Herald Sun article:
http://www.news.com.au/news/revealed...-1226577925184
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #534
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VF SS-V Video has just come out. Looks nice to me:

http://video.carsguide.com.au/233506...-Commdore-SS-V
Old 14-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #535
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
VF SS-V Video has just come out. Looks nice to me:

http://video.carsguide.com.au/233506...-Commdore-SS-V
No more unpainted matt black trim on a Sporty Aussie sedan, yay. The high gloss painted black trim and chrome detailing makes it look like it could pass as a new HSV. The black wheels really work on it.

It would look great in white.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #536
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
It would look great in white.
+1

That orange does not look great in the video.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #537
BHDOGS
Banned

the rear of the car looks ugly as
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #538
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure what I think about the back of it but they say the cd of the thing is less than .30 and you can't complain about that. Its MUCH more slippery than the VE. First time they've made a gain since the VN in aero goodness.

Silver wheels have been a fashion dead end since 2011 so its lucky they picked up on the trend and went dark. Otherwise it would have looked dated very quickly.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #539
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it has rear seat airbags and a knee airbag bringing the count to 9.

Am I the only one surprised at how comprehensive this VF is looking like? I wasn't expecting half the stuff - electric park brake, auto parking, front city crash, lane departure, Internet apps, head up display, rear cross traffic warning. I was thinking it would be just keyless start, blind spot assist and maybe standard rear view camera.

I wonder if Ford was expecting this considering Holden is just simply plugging into the GM parts bin and so no secrets being released through local suppliers.

Last edited by Brazen; 14-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #540
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I reckon it has rear seat airbags and a knee airbag bringing the count to 9.

Am I the only one surprised at how comprehensive this VF is looking like? I wasn't expecting half the stuff - electric park brake, auto parking, front city crash, lane departure, Internet apps, head up display, rear cross traffic warning. I was thinking it would be just keyless start, blind spot assist and maybe standard rear view camera.

I wonder if Ford was expecting this considering Holden is just simply plugging into the GM parts bin and so no secrets being released through local suppliers.
This is the most extensive update for a midlife model I can remember. Maybe AU to BA is the only real other comparison.

I can't imagine that Ford thought this car would be quite as extensive a make over as it really is. If they haven't got some of those electronics gadgets already to go in what would have been the premium trim Falcons before VF's release, I would say its probably to late now to be thinking about putting them in at all at this point. Falcons release really isn't that far away and you can bet the last thing they want to do is delay it and give Holden even more months with no new competition.

As for trim and surface details in the cabin, I would think they were completely surprised. No Australian car has ever tried to raise the bar like this before.

I suspect Ford will be putting more standard equipment in then they anticipated and having to buy much higher grade materials then they had planned. It probably still won't match Commodore model for model, but unless Holden has changed the engines, Ford should still have the upper hand on engines and transmissions.

Having seen the SS-V now I really think Ford should give serious thought to the 2014 GS morphing into a better equipped and cheaper XR8 to take on SS-V and be Fords Halo car in the Ford range. GT can stay as a premium only option with FPV.

The other company this car causes a real headache to is HSV. They are really going to have to raise the bar in their VF based offerings.