Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #511
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
ignition system problems, car was undrivable on LPG, lots of missing and backfiring, limped car back to steves on petrol, got new leads and plugs and its been ok since, not 100% sure the problem is fixed but fingers crossed.
seems to be the time of year for ignitions to ***** themselves.. i'm still trying to pinpoint my problem. it's been pinging and missing, but is intermittent...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #512
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. crackers
seems to be the time of year for ignitions to ***** themselves.. i'm still trying to pinpoint my problem. it's been pinging and missing, but is intermittent...
Arrrggghhh you post this in every thread Chris!!! I thought you pinpointed it to be the number 1 lead or coil lead! Just go and bloody change it!!!! It's not under a EA manifold ffs :P

Sundeep
Old 10-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #513
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Weathers cooled down a bit so i thought i'd get stuck into the remaining items on the car.

Tried running the handbrake cable today, and to my amazement it's looking to be an incredibly easy job. I'm not finished tho as i need to have a look at an EF to see exactly how the cable runs under the car, but it looks like I should be able to use the existing brakets to hold it into place. Need to wait for my mum to come back so i can have a look at her EF.

Basically if everything goes right and no more mods are involved, it'll mean that the EF handbrake setup should go relatively easily into EA-ED's without "too" much modification. I'll let yous know how i go (and write up a list of exactly what's needed ;))

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #514
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good stuff Steve, an EF handbrake would be awesome compared to these other shitty things we have.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #515
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Good stuff Steve, an EF handbrake would be awesome compared to these other shitty things we have.
It's not the handbrake that's the problem. EA-ED use the actual back brakes, while EF/EL uses a drum type system inside the rear disc.

The cable/handbrake itself is not the issue..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 10-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #516
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

OK had a look at my mum's EF just now. There are two brackets that secure the cable underneath the car. The EA-ED's have one of these brackets which is identicle to the EF/EL one, but the other bracket either hasto be cutoff an EF wreck or something needs to be made up. Wont be difficult to make so i'll probably go with that option (it's just a tube shaped bracket that holds the handbrake cable into position). Other than that, i've hooked up the cable and it works perfectly Another item crossed off the list

For anyone wanting to convert to an EF/EL handbrake, you will need to do a few things.

Firstly you may possibly need to install an AU centre console which will allow the handbrake to clear. I haven't done this but i couldnt imagine it being overly difficult. Secondly you will need to make a bracket on the floorpan so that you can fit the handbrake into position. Next a small hole needs to be cut into the floorpan to run the cable through. You will then need to install the EF/EL diff. This will require you to change to the EF/EL style brake calipers aswell. To fit the diff, you will need to get EF/EL bushes pressed into your trailing arms. Also you will need to remove the rear section of your origional brake lines and swap them over with EF/EL lines. This is not overly difficult as the fitting is in the correct position and there is already a mounting point to hold the brake line distribution block into place. You will then need to fit two L shaped brackets that will allow you to bolt the solid lines to the rubber section of the line that goes to each caliper. After that, you will need to make up the second bracket underneath the car that secures the cable, then it's simply a matter of hooking up the cable as you would on an EF/EL.

Ok it's not that simple but nonetheless it's completely do-able

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #517
Damo
Banned

in other words just buy an EF/EL.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #518
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
in other words just buy an EF/EL.

What's wrong, scared to get your hands dirty?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #519
Dezza
Parts bin special

Gee Steve, still not going! I was thinking you'd have it on the road by now :P

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 11-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #520
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Gee Steve, still not going! I was thinking you'd have it on the road by now :P
We attempted a test drive just before ;) Having problems with the clutch. Tried adjusting it but it's not really solving the problem. We'll figure it out ;)

Old 11-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #521
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

hmm.. one problem after another... sounds like my car
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
Old 11-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #522
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
We attempted a test drive just before ;) Having problems with the clutch. Tried adjusting it but it's not really solving the problem. We'll figure it out ;)
What's up with the clutch steve?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #523
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
Hope it's not too serious.

Reminds me. I'll need to adjust mine, as I'm having trouble getting it to fully engage. I'll do that tomorrow

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #524
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Minor clutch adjustment or maybe the clutch has seen better days

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #525
Christiaan

Quote:
Hope it's not too serious.

Reminds me. I'll need to adjust mine, as I'm having trouble getting it to fully engage. I'll do that tomorrow
When you put the T5 in, you should have sourced an EF/EL flywheel, had it machined, and matched it upto a New extreme HD clutch.

I did this, attached the clutch cable, and it was pretty much spot on. Never had an issue with it at all.

I don't like EA flywheels and clutch assemblies at all..
Old 11-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #526
Dezza
Parts bin special

It'll just be a minor adjustment. It's got a heavy duty clutch that looks brand new. It just seemed to get worse today, so just need to give the bolt a couple of turns and it should be fine

Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #527
Christiaan

Quote:
It'll just be a minor adjustment. It's got a heavy duty clutch that looks brand new. It just seemed to get worse today, so just need to give the bolt a couple of turns and it should be fine
Yeah, but what i'm saying is, that you shouldn't have to touch the fine adjustment nuts on the cable so soon. But being a second hand clutch, must be the reason.

I always thought the nuts on the cable were for pedal position and fine tuning only. If the cable and clutch are in good condition, it shouldn't need adjusting.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #528
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Yeah, but what i'm saying is, that you shouldn't have to touch the fine adjustment nuts on the cable so soon. But being a second hand clutch, must be the reason.
I'd say so. Anyway, I'll sort it tomorrow

Back on topic, Steve, good luck with your clutch. I still want to cruise with you

Old 11-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #529
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

My cars got an EF/EL flywheel that was machined before installation. The clutch is also a brand new Xtreme cusion button clutch, and my clutch cable is brand spankers as well.

Problem is that when we adjust it to the point that we can get smooth gear changes, the cable on the clutch end is too loose and keeps popping off the fork. Anybody know what we are doing wrong?? This is the only thing that's stopping her maiden voyage :( Everything else is done (well everything that is a requirement for a quick spin round the block :P)

Old 11-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #530
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Cable ties will fix it, its an EA stop avoiding the obvious solution ............ LOL

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 11-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #531
Damo
Banned

sounds like the cable is stuffed, or the clutch fork is bent or incorrectly installed.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #532
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
sounds like the cable is stuffed, or the clutch fork is bent or incorrectly installed.
The cable shouldn't be stuffed if it's brand new though.

Off topic, but I sorted my clutch out today, just needed adjusting

Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #533
Christiaan

Clutch fork is bent or incorrectly installed, as Damo said.

Or, it could be the little hook thingy at the end of the clutch fork that's buggered. Is that new?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #534
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Enough said :

Old 11-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #535
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

lol good to see Wilson and Alex approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #536
LUXO_8
windsor user

It Lives!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #537
Dezza
Parts bin special

Great to see Steve! LOL at John and Alex

Old 11-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #538
XRated
Shoot.

So how's it go!!!!!

20V Turbo

Old 11-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #539
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Look everybody! No tow rope :P

Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #540
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

good stuff - now for some video of it moving please
Closed Thread