Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #511
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
did you drive an auto or manual?

found out the other day my MIL is getting an auto.. was hoping she would get a manual and i could take it off her hands in a few years time
Manual. Actually I was more than impressed with the transmission. It was very quick but but not notchy like my ex datto. The clutch was not bad either.

I will play with the auto shortly but as I am a manual driver it will have to be something spectacular to impress me. N.B. I have spent the odd hour or three in a BMW M3 with DSG and that, while being BLOODY QUICK, did not really appeal to me.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #512
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ill agree with that..same goes for ALL Mazdas...the light style is pox.
yep they certainly do. They go from having a really good looking car like this.

Then go and ruin it with hideous looking lights like this and they look even worse at night when on

Old 23-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #513
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I quite like the rear lights, to me it suits the body of the car and makes for quite a handsome rear end. Last car purchase was looking at an EVO X but couldn't pull the trigger due to the ugly rear end.
Old 23-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #514
nstg8a

looks good in black, just needs some decent rims and about 3 feet taken out of the ride height.
Old 23-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #515
The Monty
Just slidin'

Saw 2 out on the road today. They really stand out, and look awesome. I didn't think the lights looked to bad in real life to be honest.
Old 23-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #516
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its a nice looking car, has projector headlights too, any word on if they're HID?
Old 23-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #517
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

[QUOTE=flappist]Well I have just taken one for a reasonable test drive and it will eat anything with an FPV or Falcon badge for breakfast .

Look, I think this is a great car, and let's hope the price stays close to where it is at launch, but to make comments such as it will eat any Ford around corners is really stating the obvious...

My Evo X MR will as well, and btw will also eat the T86, big wing or not!
But which car ticks all the boxes for me, my Ford Falcon! I don't mind people getting excited about new cars, but remember this is a Ford forum so let's not start comparing apples to oranges...

So I take it you will be buying one?

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 24-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #518
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Since we're comparing apples with oranges I think the Falcon will seat 5 better than the 86 will by miles.

I haven't seen anyone say that a Falcon will outhandle this thing, no ones that stupid to infer that. But in saying that i'd still love to see lap times from a circuit like Phillip Island with say an FPV or even XR6 Turbo compared to an 86, just out of interest. It might handle well but with bugger all grunt I don't think the laps times would be too crash hot.

Would be an interesting result.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #519
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
looks good in black, just needs some decent rims and about 3 feet taken out of the ride height.
That'd defeat the purpose...it's always amused me how companies spend hundreds of millions developing suspension angles, roll centers, and layouts, and then customers who "know best" dump them on the ground and wonder why they have turned a sweet handler into an ill-handling pig...
As they used to say with WRX's...stiffen the springs, fit better shocks, fit better sway bars...but don't fiddle with the ride height or you'll be sorry. The designers do know a little more than Joe Average when it comes to how suspension works...
Super low cars...ones from the factory...find a limited audience. The real world isn't a race track, and you have to have suspension travel and ride height to allow you to drive it everywhere. We've noticed the big difference with our G6E over, say, the VX Commodore we had before the Landcruiser we traded on it. You really have to watch where you go with driveways and supermarket speed humps, even with a factory ride height and 19" wheels. You graunch it in an awful lot of places.
A car made for chucking around a real road needs a bit of height to it to allow for less than perfect surfaces. Looks aren't everything, and shouldn't be the primary design point of a car anyway.

I saw one, surprisingly, over in Emerald today parked out front of the Toyota dealer...amazing looking car in the metal instead of photos. Nicely proportioned, well laid out inside, comfy, it just looked "right", and had that "stop you in your tracks for a second look" appearance that not many new cars have, but a lot try hard to have.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #520
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWF6 310

Look, I think this is a great car, and I will be buying one
Really?

Or does only using some of the words and leaving the rest out when quoting another post just make you look silly.....
Old 24-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #521
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Really?

Or does only using some of the words and leaving the rest out when quoting another post just make you look silly.....

So will you consider buying this car?

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 24-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #522
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That'd defeat the purpose...it's always amused me how companies spend hundreds of millions developing suspension angles, roll centers, and layouts, and then customers who "know best" dump them on the ground and wonder why they have turned a sweet handler into an ill-handling pig...
As they used to say with WRX's...stiffen the springs, fit better shocks, fit better sway bars...but don't fiddle with the ride height or you'll be sorry. The designers do know a little more than Joe Average when it comes to how suspension works...
Super low cars...ones from the factory...find a limited audience. The real world isn't a race track, and you have to have suspension travel and ride height to allow you to drive it everywhere. We've noticed the big difference with our G6E over, say, the VX Commodore we had before the Landcruiser we traded on it. You really have to watch where you go with driveways and supermarket speed humps, even with a factory ride height and 19" wheels. You graunch it in an awful lot of places.
A car made for chucking around a real road needs a bit of height to it to allow for less than perfect surfaces. Looks aren't everything, and shouldn't be the primary design point of a car anyway.

I saw one, surprisingly, over in Emerald today parked out front of the Toyota dealer...amazing looking car in the metal instead of photos. Nicely proportioned, well laid out inside, comfy, it just looked "right", and had that "stop you in your tracks for a second look" appearance that not many new cars have, but a lot try hard to have.

Funny you say this, its what an old instructor told me once at a skidpan day.
Ive been to a few, and Ill just compare what I was driving.
First was my AU Fairmont, 17's with Good rubber, on Super Lows and Monroe GT gas shocks. Try and go around anything on the skidpan, and it would understeer horribly, no matter what myself or the instructor could do would make it drive any good. He then went into the speil about changing hundreds of millions of dollars of development for looks, which I though would equal better handling.
A few times later, I took out a slightly more powerful 6cyl AU falcon, but this time stock suspension, 16 inch OEM tyres, etc etc. This time, the car would do anything I asked of it. Perfectly. Controllably. Everytime. Then we had the time trials...
F6 Typhoon. GT. GTP. XR8 ute. XR6t. SS. SS ute. AU 6 cyl.... Out of the 24 cars, I managed the 3rd fastest time.
After the instructor drove it, he said out of the cars there, and mine was the only one that hadnt had suspension mods, it was the most responsive, and easiest to drive controlled, some of the others were so woefull, he described them as dangerous.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #523
nstg8a

standard suspension is always a compromise, especially in a lower priced car like this.

a properly set up suspension with quality coil overs, appropriate sway bars, good quality rims and tyres will always be an improvement over stock.

theres more to a good setup than cheap kings/monroes and bobjane style chromies.

go watch production racing, or tarmac rallys, how many are using stock suspension? thats right.

you may trade off some comfort, and maybe reduce its ability as a day to day milk getter, but imo thats worth it for a better handling weapon.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #524
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWF6 310
So will you consider buying this car?
I suspect there may be one in the car park shortly, red GTS Manual.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #525
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Phillip Island with say an FPV or even XR6 Turbo compared to an 86, just out of interest. It might handle well but with bugger all grunt I don't think the laps times would be too crash hot.t.
Island is mega high speed, nose bleed level of speed really and few drivers would even cope with the speed of that circuit without a lot of time to familiarise themselves. The balls required to take turn one at anywhere the speeds near possible are quite huge, let alone three, through the Hayshed without lifting etc. then to stay hard on it through 11 and 12 etc. Nevertheless a good comparison of cars if you regularly drive around corners at 180km/h +
Old 24-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #526
Kevaclone

Quote:
The car this one was supposed to be a tribute off was a Corolla, the AE86.
Actually it is a tribute to the earlier sports coupes from Toyota, the AE86 Corolla just happened to become a noted car due to it's 2L engine and rear wheel drive and motorsport history

a week after it's release non of the local dealers have one in stock yet as they are all sold, unsighted or driven, it appears quite a lot of people get the idea of a car like this

Wonder how Mazda will respond with the next MX5, surely this will take sales away from them
Also be interesting to see what price Subaru puts on the BRZ if it even releases it here
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Old 24-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #527
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
I suspect there may be one in the car park shortly, red GTS Manual.
Shortly?

It's my belief GTS manual is the shortest supplied variant.
Old 24-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #528
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Shortly?

It's my belief GTS manual is the shortest supplied variant.
Yeh they have an orange one coming that they hope to swap.
Old 24-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #529
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Yeh they have an orange one coming that they hope to swap.

TAKE THE ORANGE!

or give it to me. i love orange!

Ice
Old 24-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #530
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
Actually it is a tribute to the earlier sports coupes from Toyota, the AE86 Corolla just happened to become a noted car due to it's 2L engine and rear wheel drive and motorsport history

a week after it's release non of the local dealers have one in stock yet as they are all sold, unsighted or driven, it appears quite a lot of people get the idea of a car like this

Wonder how Mazda will respond with the next MX5, surely this will take sales away from them
Also be interesting to see what price Subaru puts on the BRZ if it even releases it here
BRZ has already been confirmed and its only a month or so behind the 86.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #531
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
But in saying that i'd still love to see lap times from a circuit like Phillip Island with say an FPV or even XR6 Turbo compared to an 86, just out of interest. It might handle well but with bugger all grunt I don't think the laps times would be too crash hot.

The standard Mustang V6 beat it around Willow Springs Raceway which surprised me.
Old 24-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #532
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such defensive panic.

MOTOR will have their annual PCOTY shortly and I suspect the 86 as well as the FG2 and whatever other new rockets will get a chance to show their abilities.

I wonder if they will have a 5 passengers or towing a caravan or any other "performance" section this time?
Old 24-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #533
nstg8a

i think my sarcasm-o-meter just broke...
Old 25-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #534
RASER
Banned

It's a modern day MR-2 [MisterTwo]

Wait list is out to 8 months, if you want to beat that pay over the odds [US style] or head down to Subaru and get on a shorter q

Frankly, i don't think its anything REALLY special, whats all the fuss about?

Well priced though, thats without question
Old 25-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #535
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Since we're comparing apples with oranges I think the Falcon will seat 5 better than the 86 will by miles.

I haven't seen anyone say that a Falcon will outhandle this thing, no ones that stupid to infer that. But in saying that i'd still love to see lap times from a circuit like Phillip Island with say an FPV or even XR6 Turbo compared to an 86, just out of interest. It might handle well but with bugger all grunt I don't think the laps times would be too crash hot.

...still not getting it...how about winton then? Why are people so keen to judge based on kw's...doesnt even tell half the story. Or what about a Targa event...seems Ford/FPV havent touched them in well....ever...

God what is going to happen when they do turn the wick up!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #536
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
...still not getting it...how about winton then? Why are people so keen to judge based on kw's...doesnt even tell half the story. Or what about a Targa event...seems Ford/FPV havent touched them in well....ever...

God what is going to happen when they do turn the wick up!
Haters are going to hate no matter what.
These people only hear what they want to hear; only see what they want to see.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #537
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Haters are going to hate no matter what.
These people only hear what they want to hear; only see what they want to see.
Agree, there are clearly people that are showing passion about this car. but there seems just as much passion to try and pick it to pieces. hence why this post keeps rolling on..
for example
I dont understand sporty Utes, but they have a market and I dont go picking on people because they love them.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 25-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #538
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
It's a modern day MR-2 [MisterTwo]

Frankly, i don't think its anything REALLY special, whats all the fuss about?

Well...if you don't understand, you dont understand...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #539
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I drove a manual 86 GT today, whoop-de-doo Good chassis, steering was perfect. It would be a lot of fun on a track. Not so much in the suburbs and the city (where, let's face it, 90% of them will be driven on a daily basis). The motor does not belong in a sports car in my opinion. I already had my doubts about the power plant going into it based on specs alone and driving it has confirmed my suspicions. It is frustratingly slow - some might not say frustrating but I did step out of an FG XR6T which is a missile; merging in the 86 was frustrating at times. First world problems. The sound it makes is also quite uninspiring which is probably more disappointing than the motor's performance - I can forgive it for being slow because it's still a hoot to drive. But the sound is a bit of a disappointment. I've driven slower cars before that have sounded nice which makes up for the lack of ponies, but the 86's motor has no redeeming qualities in my book. I think getting this car to a high speed (as referenced on an earlier page) is an exercise in complete stupidity unless you are on a very, very open road as I'm sure it was. It takes such a long time to accumulate speed, dangerous is the only word I'd use when attempting any kind of high speed run in one of these. Yes, it's not the point of this car. But people will do it.

And disregard the specs, this car will not fit more than 2 human beings (unless the two rear seat occupants are amputees). I guess the rear seats are there for insurance purposes only. The interior felt dated, it could have come out in 2002. Functional, yes. The one I drove had a creak in the dash already. The chassis is really the only reason you would buy one in my book. It's a great thing in the corners, but that's all it's good at. I expect to see a lot of them written off by amateur RWD pilots in the years to come - it actually felt a bit like a CB IRS, when it went, it went quickly! Good on Toyota/Subaru for building an attainable RWD car. I'm sure the price doesn't matter to a lot of people either, a friend's old man (who could afford a lot more) is buying one because it reminds him of his old Cortina. I'm sure Flappist isn't shy of a dollar either. But many people won't find this car exciting, it's not because they aren't true pure authentic classic passionate spirited enthusiasts who miss the point (which I'm sick to death of hearing), it's because it's a great car with an average motor. If I bought one I'd drop past an exhaust shop on the way home for a cat back! Looking forward to a TRD version.
Old 25-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #540
Kevaclone

throwing a turbo on it should liven it up well, I can see a few STi type engines going into these, for much less money than a FPV/HSV it would be a great car, the cheap price makes it a great base to work from.

Remember when you could by a Pov pack Ford/Holden/Valiant with a V8
and then work from there and have a car that went as well or better than a GT/GTS/Pacer
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Closed Thread