Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2023, 03:13 PM   #5221
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

I remember something like “Flush twice, it’s a long way to the Wentworth cafeteria”.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2023, 12:36 PM   #5222
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son is off on a cricket comp trip up in Qld. He is 17 but a young 17. He has travelled plenty and did something like this a year ago at 16 but for some reason I was nervous. He is the only kid in an adult team so not alone but we dont know those guys overly well.
He is sick, vomiting, nausea, blood nose, midnight sms's, he didnt want to wake up the house with a phonecall but he eventually answered my call, wife stressing and he sounds like complete crap and wants to come home. Not easy.
Settled him down and we all went to bed.
Just made contact again, he has some panadol and feeling better after finally getting rest.
Hopefully its a 24hr thing and he perks up a bit more. He has been looking fwd to this since last years trip and I want him to enjoy himself but man hate feeling so helpless.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2023, 05:36 PM   #5223
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I was sitting in my car at the supermarket, listening to the local ABC, catching up on all the info relating to four fires in our area (three have which have either led to advice to evacuate the town now or to stay put in town as there's no way out). We've had nearly 100km/h gusts today which have exacerbated the situation. As I do so, I see a lady sucking down her last few drags on her cigarette before going in to do her shop. She drops her butt on the bitumen, gives it a couple of stomps and grinds, then heads off, without even checking if it's out. Just around the corner from her, and on her way into the shops, is a cigarette disposal pillar.

One of the fires is so big, you can see it on both the weather radar and satellite views.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2023, 07:01 PM   #5224
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wanted to get some groceries before the game tonight but the car won't ****ing start! Lucky mum was heading to the shops so I just went with her.

Hopefully nothing bad but will give NRMA a buzz on Tuesday as might need a tow to the mechanic
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2023, 09:26 PM   #5225
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Wouldn’t turn over, or wouldn’t catch, or won’t stay running?

…Personally, hating Daylight Saving tonight. Started cooking too late; it will be a 9PM sitting now. :-(

Last edited by Citroënbender; 01-10-2023 at 09:40 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2023, 09:59 PM   #5226
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Wouldn’t turn over, or wouldn’t catch, or won’t stay running?

…Personally, hating Daylight Saving tonight. Started cooking too late; it will be a 9PM sitting now. :-(
I love DLS but yeah 9pm sucks.

Won't start at all. First time I turned it is was spluttering and now nothing, just trys to crank so sounds like it has starter. The fuel pump sounds like it is priming as normal.

The fuel pump and AFM in the last few year had been replaced and battery was done in Feb. Presumably I got new plugs with my 100k service not so long ago.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2023, 10:54 PM   #5227
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I was sitting in my car at the supermarket, listening to the local ABC, catching up on all the info relating to four fires in our area (three have which have either led to advice to evacuate the town now or to stay put in town as there's no way out). We've had nearly 100km/h gusts today which have exacerbated the situation. As I do so, I see a lady sucking down her last few drags on her cigarette before going in to do her shop. She drops her butt on the bitumen, gives it a couple of stomps and grinds, then heads off, without even checking if it's out. Just around the corner from her, and on her way into the shops, is a cigarette disposal pillar.

One of the fires is so big, you can see it on both the weather radar and satellite views.
Old habits never die.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 02:02 PM   #5228
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Tale of two extremes here: woke up this morning for an advice warning to keep an eye on the fires to the north of me as they were heading this way. Stratford, about 20km to the north, had an evacuation warning.

At the same time, we're also receiving warnings for riverine flooding over the next couple of days!

At least one house has been confirmed as being lost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #5229
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Tale of two extremes here: woke up this morning for an advice warning to keep an eye on the fires to the north of me as they were heading this way. Stratford, about 20km to the north, had an evacuation warning.

At the same time, we're also receiving warnings for riverine flooding over the next couple of days!

At least one house has been confirmed as being lost.

take care over there
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #5230
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
take care over there
I'm all good in Sale, thanks for the concern.

The rain is now in Sale, so I hope that it is not far away from the fire grounds. Only concern is that the fire at Loch Sport is expected to impact the town once the associated wind change hits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-10-2023, 09:04 PM   #5231
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well, the forecast heavens opening up happened. The good news is that the two major fires that were threatening communities yesterday are now not a concern.

The bad news is that three towns have now been told to evacuate due to flooding. These are no more than 50km away from where the fires hit yesterday.

We had 100mm of rain from about 2pm yesterday to 9am this morning and another 20mm since then.

Two extremes indeed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2023, 11:27 PM   #5232
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve driven tonight in heavy, steady rain, all the way from Littleton to northern Sydney. A pleasant respite from the heat, but quite a lot of water on the roads - mostly I was 10-20 under the speed limit.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #5233
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Sydney! I’ve been back less than 24 hours and what a flaming circus. From Crash Bunny hurling repeatedly out the ute door all over the Hills shire, to dopey drivers in every corner of every rotten suburb. Grubby councils and lazy, lying people.

It has to be said that Greater Lithgow hasn’t yet mastered the fine art of avoiding work in the way our s**t-stain of a state capital trumpets from every corner.
6 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2023, 02:42 PM   #5234
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Rang my bank today.

Nearly three years ago when I took out a home loan for my house, I split my loan into two, almost even, parts, locking one in for three years at 2.19%. The other half was variable, and is pretty much paid off. I've just left it open with a small amount owing in case I need some cash in an emergency situation.

Received a message from the bank the other day saying to get in contact with them to see what my options are with respect to the fixed loan maturing. I'm ready to get that sucker paid off as quick as I can, so moving to a variable suits me.

I see on the bank's website they are offering new customers a variable rate of 5.98% (6% comparable). My flexible home loan is currently 6.92%.

So, I call the bank and tell them I want to have my fixed home loan move across to a variable on maturity date, but that I'm not happy with a rate of 6.92% and that I see they are offering new customers 5.98%.

Without batting an eyelid, the guy tells me they'll be able to offer me at least 6% and that they can probably do better than that if we pass it by the loans manager given that I've been a long-term customer.

So, if my business is that important to them, why are they not offering me the best rate they can without me having to call them? It's not like I even screwed them that hard!

Insurance companies are the same: they rely on customers not contacting them and just rolling over from term to term. It's a terrible way to do business. Lazy and makes money easy, but I still think it stinks.

There just seems to be no benefit in being a long-term customer with large companies these days. They are just treated with disdain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 12-10-2023, 10:32 AM   #5235
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Photos of the Southern Aurora train/goods train crash at Violet Town 7 Feb. 1969. Goods train was carrying Valiant cars (and other stuff?). Nine deaths and 117 injuries.

https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entit...67&mode=browse

Mods: if this is unsuitable, remove it.

There are no photos of victims except one injured man being lowered from the train, but he looks OK.

Last edited by xkxlxm; 12-10-2023 at 10:55 AM.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2023, 10:45 AM   #5236
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Photos of the Southern Aurora train/goods train crash at Violet Town 7 Feb. 1969. Goods train was carrying Valiant cars (and other stuff?). Nine deaths and 117 injuries.

https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entit...67&mode=browse

Mods: if this is unsuitable, remove it.
Most of those wrecked Valiants and bogies are all buried in the adjacent paddocks. discussed here....fordforums.com.au/showpost.php?p=6678964&postcount=76
Only video I've found on the accident scene. Note the Spirit of Progress passing at the scene at the end.

There's a beautiful memorial park at the station though the accident site is 4 km down the line.

Last edited by roKWiz; 12-10-2023 at 10:51 AM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #5237
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In your other post you mention what it might be like to dig up a buried car/s ... that would be interesting. (And next time I am up there, whenever that is, I must remember to visit the memorial.)
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #5238
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
In your other post you mention what it might be like to dig up a buried car/s ... that would be interesting. (And next time I am up there, whenever that is, I must remember to visit the memorial.)
If you go down out of town to the most southern railway crossing, (the accident site) you'll see display boards, a smaller monument and pictures of where most carriages ended up. The local cafe has all the history about it up on its walls.

One of the most confronting images to me , is an emergency worker scrambling through foot deep mud to gain access while the wreck was still burning.
Something I had never thought of considering it was the height of Summer when it happened, most of the water was from the fire trucks.

Old 16-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #5239
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flew into Melbourne today for the first time in 8 years, on the way to the city in a taxi. Geez what a graffitied up grotty sh hole. I’d be embarrassed if I lived here.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-10-2023, 05:39 PM   #5240
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Upholding the law seems to be a little lower on the list of priorities these days, but $100 million figuring out how (uphold the law) to is Money well spent.

Watch out for that hidden camera!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #5241
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Drivel churned out by the likes of Netflix.

IMO likened to washed up singers signing up for residency gigs.

4 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2023, 02:22 PM   #5242
Trendseeker

And Prime and the other streaming channel too. I’ve watched the first 10 minutes of so many movies and then given up. So much C-grade stuff.
Old 22-10-2023, 04:36 PM   #5243
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Drivel churned out by the likes of Netflix.

IMO likened to washed up singers signing up for residency gigs.
Old Dads is good for a laugh if you like Bill Burr and Dave Schapelle humour, I do.
Old 23-10-2023, 08:52 PM   #5244
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I booked the Ranger in for a service three weeks ago.

First, I got an email confirmation of the service appointment shorty after making the booking. Fine.

Since then, I have had 2 text message reminders spread a week apart, then 4 separate emails to remind me spread over the course of the last week.

So, 2 text messages and 5 emails to remind me of the service. Seems like overkill.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2023, 11:51 PM   #5245
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s ominous. I’m tipping that despite all the reminders to yourself, they still forget something on their service obligations, or the car comes back with chewy on the brake pedal or something.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #5246
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I booked the Ranger in for a service three weeks ago.

First, I got an email confirmation of the service appointment shorty after making the booking. Fine.

Since then, I have had 2 text message reminders spread a week apart, then 4 separate emails to remind me spread over the course of the last week.

So, 2 text messages and 5 emails to remind me of the service. Seems like overkill.
My dental appointments and wifes hair appointments are the same, PITFA.
Old 24-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #5247
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
My dental appointments and wifes hair appointments are the same, PITFA.
I would suspect they are using an automated software system that does all this for them, rather than a human sending out multiple emails to each and every customer/patient. Surely there is a more balanced approach to this rather than bombing people with emails and text messages. If there is one thing I hate, its being hounded by companies. Send me an email, once a week or so, but don't bombard me with so much content that I simply ignore and delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
It’s ominous. I’m tipping that despite all the reminders to yourself, they still forget something on their service obligations, or the car comes back with chewy on the brake pedal or something.
Apart from some mud on the windscreen and oily finger prints on the bonnet, thankfully it seems the job was done. At $410 for an oil change, you would expect nothing less.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2023, 06:56 PM   #5248
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like the above mentioned email smashing we receive, I get fed up with the same in-your-face fast paced advertising.
You put your product on every 10 minutes when Im watching a race or interrupt a youtube song, you can guarantee I will make sure not to buy it / watch it.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2023, 06:59 PM   #5249
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Just about got cleaned up in a high speed back streets police chase, BMW HWP vs newish Camry. Bloke nearly lost it and was heading for me - standing beside my ute on the road (I had nowhere to go but jump up). Twenty minutes later and my heart rate is still high (98, vs mid-70s normally).
6 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2023, 07:42 PM   #5250
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I

Apart from some mud on the windscreen and oily finger prints on the bonnet, thankfully it seems the job was done. At $410 for an oil change, you would expect nothing less.
Ridiculous money for 6 litres of oil and a filter and other almost zero cost items.Job takes all of 30 mins for someone who knows what they are doing.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post