Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #481
anto
Za Dom spremni

Default Re: VF Holden

the image above with the amg just goes to show how generic cars look these days... the only way to describe it is non descript. Park it next to the korean car of your choice and it wouldn't look out of place,..
I guess that what people want
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #482
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s a fair comment Anto, i was thinking myself i can see a bit of falcon in the front end too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #483
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Quite a few people I know have replaced their itunes library with Pandora or the version Telstra let you stream for free.

Alloy boot and bonnet also improve driving dynamic. Dropping a fair bit of weight from the extremities of the car centralises weight distribution and also as mentioned, assists with fuel reduction. So do improved aero features.

Only thing I don't like is the electric handbrake & steering, really - but you can't win em all.
speaking of I tunes, i`m probably in the minority, and i know i`m an old dinosaur, but i would love to see a poll one day for the people that use the ipod/ pandora/music in cars and their age groups,
myself i can`t be bothered with it, if i wan`t music i`ll listen to the golden oldies or bang in a cd in or use usb sticks on a run.
my young brother is an IT electronics geek uses all that stuff, spends 5 minutes in the car adjusting it all rooting around so he make a half hour trip to work o0.
looking on another forum a few people piped up about the functionality of the electronic brake, it did seem more disliked it than the other way around in various types of cars, look forward to see how it goes.
as for the fuel economy, it still seems a big ask for 10% better even with improved aero factor and couple of light bits when your sitting in traffic.
if they pull it off that will be impressive.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #484
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Sorry to continue with your statement but if that's the case, EcoBoost and EcoLpi would be leading the sales race? Reading the forums it's the trinkets that get everyone excited these days. Not performance or economy. Actually this release has been about the inside buttons and the pretty lights and dials. Havnt really read much on engine output or what economy is expected. It's all about how many cup holders!
it would be interesting since they remaped the sidi for economy and lost a few kilo's, performance of the SS would be nice to know as well.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #485
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read somewhere that the engines in the VF are 10% more fuel efficient. V6 and V8
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #486
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
I read somewhere that the engines in the VF are 10% more fuel efficient. V6 and V8
yeah it runs on 2 cylinders on the highway
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #487
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Heard Mike Deveraux (Holden CEO) on Melbourne radio this morning. He was asked a direct question... how much will it cost?. His answer along the lines of... Australians need to remember this is the safest, most technologically advanced most effecient car ever produced in this country...

Stay tuned, me thinks plenty!
If it had a big turbo diesel burning 6l/100km down the highway you might sell them for near 40k on the base model. Imho they wont sell any at that price with the V6 its just not a good enough engine in the current market. But lets wait and see.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #488
BHDOGS
Banned

The engines are the same it's the lighter weight that makes it more fuel
Efficient and they dropped a spoiler of the sports class U just get a lip spoiler you now have to option up bigger also the car will cost an extra $500 on top of what it does now rumors suggest
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #489
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
yeah it runs on 2 cylinders on the highway
On the Back of a tilt tray should always return good economy.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #490
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
The engines are the same it's the lighter weight that makes it more fuel
Efficient and they dropped a spoiler of the sports class U just get a lip spoiler you now have to option up bigger also the car will cost an extra $500 on top of what it does now rumors suggest
The LT1 they're chucking in there has direct injection and infinite cam timing, apparently.

IN terms of the 6cyl I think compression and materials have changed for the better as well
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #491
gtfpv
GT

THE THREAD IS AWESOME and i think the VF will be a beaut . i dont know about others but everytime a new commodore or falcon is released i get a great excitement ( it's great to be alive to see this feeling ) i'm very much interested in what i'm reading here . cheers .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #492
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was looking for thinner pillars.
Why don't modern cars use the doors with out them stupid backward steel edge door frames, the old 1971 LTD galaxie had a nice 4 door pillared hardtop and they worked fine no problems at all.

Glad the stupid cheap moronic hand brake has gone.

The VF ute needs a tailgate that can be dropped right down like a real work ute as like the Falcon.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #493
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The SS is a case of nice wheels, shame about the face. Front end looks poor but you'd expect that as the Yanks have hijacked it and probably had the most influence of what it looks like considering they have their version now.

Why are the mirror scalps grey, it looks like they forget something.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #494
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
THE THREAD IS AWESOME and i think the VF will be a beaut . i dont know about others but everytime a new commodore or falcon is released i get a great excitement ( it's great to be alive to see this feeling ) i'm very much interested in what i'm reading here . cheers .
Yes Frank, I'm enjoying reading this thread too. I still get that buzz about a new Ford or new Holden being released just like I did way back in 1968 when I first became a car nut. I remember my Dad and I went down to Muirs on the Victoria Road near Top Ryde for spare parts and in the showroom was an HK Monaro GTS and also a Brougham!

Then there was a time there was a competition at a Ford dealer, my memory is a bit hazy as to which one it was but they were on the Pacific Highway past Chatswood, we had a key and if it opened the door of the Falcon 500 it was yours. Saw my first XY GT up close then in that showroom.

That's why it would be sad in a way if the local manufacturing of Falcon and/or Commodore was to stop but I think the buzz would still be there for the release of whatever replaced them.

My Dad's turning 80 soon and I'll always remember the time he took to drive me down Parramatta Road to stop at the dealers and ask for brochures.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #495
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Yes Frank, I'm enjoying reading this thread too. I still get that buzz about a new Ford or new Holden being released just like I did way back in 1968 when I first became a car nut. I remember my Dad and I went down to Muirs on the Victoria Road near Top Ryde for spare parts and in the showroom was an HK Monaro GTS and also a Brougham!

Then there was a time there was a competition at a Ford dealer, my memory is a bit hazy as to which one it was but they were on the Pacific Highway past Chatswood, we had a key and if it opened the door of the Falcon 500 it was yours. Saw my first XY GT up close then in that showroom.

That's why it would be sad in a way if the local manufacturing of Falcon and/or Commodore was to stop but I think the buzz would still be there for the release of whatever replaced them.

My Dad's turning 80 soon and I'll always remember the time he took to drive me down Parramatta Road to stop at the dealers and ask for brochures.
Well said mate.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #496
RAPID_BA
Banned

Do we know what the v8 will be? Specs?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #497
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
More than likely this:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/24/m...mall-block-v8/

Quote:
The Corvette's new LT1 V8 engine is, no surprise here, set to make the car very competitive within its class. Preliminary numbers suggest no less than 450 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque for the 6.2-liter engine, as well as an estimated 0-60 mile per hour time of less than 4.0 seconds when installed in the base C7. To put those numbers in perspective a bit: The LT1 not only has a far higher specific output than the 6.2-liter LS3 that it replaces – up at least 20 hp and 26 lb-ft – but its torque is seemingly competitive with that of the 7.0-liter LS7 that lives in the heart of the current Corvette Z06.
Old 13-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #498
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
same as before L98/L76 6.0L
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #499
Sioso
irregular member

I think it looks great inside and out, the only 2 things that let it down are the steering wheel and shifter, they scream 4 cylinder hatchback to me.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #500
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
Yep... Ford will always deliver the better car, but always second.

I'm not sure if most of the members here can be even classified Ford fans, but if they can be... then most people who drive Fords love to *****.
Sorry but comments like this are stupid. Take your rose coloured glasses off. Many people on here have voted with their wallet and purchased a new Ford and you have a go at them for being critical of some things? Yeah sure the cars aren't perfect, none are but owners have every right to be a little upset when there car isn't quite right. But as has been said I hope ford pull one out of the hat with the new model and its a raging success.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #501
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, for all the ford diehards on here that think the VF looks ordinary, start up your duel fuel ex taxi au falcon and get the hell out of here. Please its an important car that looks great with features that brings australian mototing to a world standard and hopefully the new falcon will be as fruitful if not better.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #502
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

The SS is missing a spoiler?
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #503
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Seriously, for all the ford diehards on here that think the VF looks ordinary, start up your duel fuel ex taxi au falcon and get the hell out of here. Please its an important car that looks great with features that brings australian mototing to a world standard and hopefully the new falcon will be as fruitful if not better.
We are talking about two different things here.

Exterior styling - which is a matter of personal taste but which does nothing to lift the standard of anything anyway and certainly not in this case.

Features / technology where it does lift the barrier and bring us closer to attaining global standards.

I've little doubt that FoA will be watching this closely but I'd be equally sure that much of the tech is already on the drawing board for the next round of updates.

Still doesn't change the simple fact that the biggest problem Ford has is the dealer network - the same as it has been for two decades.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #504
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Still doesn't change the simple fact that the biggest problem Ford has is the dealer network - the same as it has been for two decades.
Both brands really need to lift their game in this regard. Same applies to the "service" departments.

Both of these things have a big impact in regards to a Positive or Negative experience with the customer's choice of vehicle and ownership.
Old 13-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #505
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Im sorry but this is a ford forum in case you hadn't noticed, and the majority are diehards so why dont you get the hell out !
No one has to like it just because you say so, and everyone has there own opinion so get off your high horse .
Also dont care for the AU jab either ,... not to mention the "take off the rose colored glasses" line that rears its ugly head time and time again in various threads.

Ooh, I wish us mere mortals were as cultured as you lot

Some of us like Fords for a reason and it has nothing to do with blind worship !
sheesh some people !

As for the VF I personally don't hate it but I don't care for it either tbh, yeah its new and looks way better than the old clapper but that aint hard now is it, 'twas hardly the measuring stick for a good looking or well equipped car.

thats right I said it
AU III XR8 red ute
7 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #506
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
speaking of I tunes, i`m probably in the minority, and i know i`m an old dinosaur, but i would love to see a poll one day for the people that use the ipod/ pandora/music in cars and their age groups,
myself i can`t be bothered with it, if i wan`t music i`ll listen to the golden oldies or bang in a cd in or use usb sticks on a run.
my young brother is an IT electronics geek uses all that stuff, spends 5 minutes in the car adjusting it all rooting around so he make a half hour trip to work o0.
looking on another forum a few people piped up about the functionality of the electronic brake, it did seem more disliked it than the other way around in various types of cars, look forward to see how it goes.
as for the fuel economy, it still seems a big ask for 10% better even with improved aero factor and couple of light bits when your sitting in traffic.
if they pull it off that will be impressive.
It's also the fact they're taking that weight off the wheels and distributing it easily - Like pushing a trolley with 20kg on the front is much harder than doing it with 20kg in the middle, and improves handling and how easily it turns, so on.

as for fuel burn, a lot of it also has to do with advances in transmission losses, fuel cuts and EFI tuning that they learn over the years. Use of lightweight materials in the interior helps a ton with this too.

I tend to use my phone as an mp3 these days instead as well. I find it easier than faffing about with cd's and I can play what I want
Old 13-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #507
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Im sorry but this is a ford forum in case you hadn't noticed, and the majority are diehards so why dont you get the hell out !
No one has to like it just because you say so, and everyone has there own opinion so get off your high horse .
Also dont care for the AU jab either ,... not to mention the "take off the rose colored glasses" line that rears its ugly head time and time again in various threads.

Ooh, I wish us mere mortals were as cultured as you lot

Some of us like Fords for a reason and it has nothing to do with blind worship !
sheesh some people !

As for the VF I personally don't hate it but I don't care for it either tbh, yeah its new and looks way better than the old clapper but that aint hard now is it, 'twas hardly the measuring stick for a good looking or well equipped car.

thats right I said it

I think Gadgetman makes a good point. The "old clapper' VE might not have been well equipped - but it's right on par with the Falcon. And the way it looks is purely subjective. The VF is a massively important new model not just for Holden, but for Australian manufacturing as a whole.

And the 'rose coloured glasses' line gets rolled out here regularly for good reason. The unconditional, fanantical, hopelessly biased pro-Ford attitudes some have on here is just ridiculous. Most people will have their favorite, and a degree of bias and loyalty towards your brand of choice is expected and all good. Its that healthy rivalry that has kept the spirit of competition with Ford and Holden going - giving incentive for each company to improve their products and leapfrog the other with each new model release.

But, the fact remains that we're talking about two cars that are very similar in most ways. Same basic dimensions, same basic engine sizes and configuration, same drivetrain layout, competing in the same market. Pick the one you like the most sure, but to dismiss the other so completely and blindly like some do (not accusing you of this btw) is beyond stupid.

Having said all that, if you don't like the VF, that's your opinion, to which you're entitled.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #508
anto
Za Dom spremni

See you say its right on par with the falcon but in my experience there is a gulf of difference!, that doesnt mean "rose coloured glasses" .
youi make some good points I cant argue with otherwise.

The VF is an ok looking car from what has been shown so far , pretty generic looking with a decent currentn standard interior..
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 13-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #509
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I think Gadgetman makes a good point. The "old clapper' VE might not have been well equipped - but it's right on par with the Falcon. And the way it looks is purely subjective. The VF is a massively important new model not just for Holden, but for Australian manufacturing as a whole.

And the 'rose coloured glasses' line gets rolled out here regularly for good reason. The unconditional, fanantical, hopelessly biased pro-Ford attitudes some have on here is just ridiculous. Most people will have their favorite, and a degree of bias and loyalty towards your brand of choice is expected and all good. Its that healthy rivalry that has kept the spirit of competition with Ford and Holden going - giving incentive for each company to improve their products and leapfrog the other with each new model release.

But, the fact remains that we're talking about two cars that are very similar in most ways. Same basic dimensions, same basic engine sizes and configuration, same drivetrain layout, competing in the same market. Pick the one you like the most sure, but to dismiss the other so completely and blindly like some do (not accusing you of this btw) is beyond stupid.

Having said all that, if you don't like the VF, that's your opinion, to which you're entitled.
Well said, I love Ford's Always have and always will. Having said that, always happy to give credit to others that deserve it. Is the VF a huge step forward in australian vehicle manufacturing and deserves to succeed in a diminishing segment of the market. Hopefully the new features will feature in the update falcon in 14 and perhaps something new and improved as well. Time will certainly tell.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #510
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at it like this the VF will push Ford even harder when they make the FU (or whatever it's going to be called). Given it's a Ford forum understandably not everyone likes it which is fair enough.

Personally in the back of my mind whenever a new Commodore or Falcon is released I think of how the opposition will respond. The Australian large car as we know has its day numbered.

These latest breed of Commodores (and when Ford release their new Falcon) may be the last of their kind as we know them. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when we can create a car on the level of some of the more famous manufacturers around the world.

Last edited by Ryan; 13-02-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: