Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #421
GTP-03

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

If only Ford made a no frills s/c v8 falcon for $29990!!
Old 14-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #422
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
If only Ford made a no frills s/c v8 falcon for $29990!!
The BA XT was optional with 5.4L 3V V8 and 5sp manual when it first came out.

No idea on cost though.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #423
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is toyotas stance on mods affecting the warranty ???? Beacuse everyone is going on about how toyota wants you to track it and mod it anyway you want but my guess is slap an air filter in it and kiss the warranty good bye ??
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 14-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #424
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The BA XT was optional with 5.4L 3V V8 and 5sp manual when it first came out.

No idea on cost though.
RRP Sedan was $40,360
RRP for basic ute was $30,590

I wonder why they were discontinued as you see so many of them on the roads........
Old 14-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #425
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I wonder why they were discontinued as you see so many of them on the roads........
Millions of them! A whole 200 for the whole time they were offered.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #426
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8
What is toyotas stance on mods affecting the warranty ???? Beacuse everyone is going on about how toyota wants you to track it and mod it anyway you want but my guess is slap an air filter in it and kiss the warranty good bye ??
Thats a very good questions because it would be a huge change in mindset for the company..its been a while inbetween drinks.

Common sense would say you play you pay...but the amount of marketing they are leveraging through the modding and elements of track readiness make it an interesting situation.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #427
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Wild guess here, but when he says he hasnt read all the posts, he actually hasnt read any, and is under the impression that this thread refers to a 1986 model Toyota advertised for $29,990.

Was I close graham?
Absolutely spot on. My bad. But, why on a Ford forum are we concerned by the price of a Toyota? From the look of it, more competition for our blue oval.
Old 14-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #428
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
But, why on a Ford forum are we concerned by the price of a Toyota?
Because its a game changer and this is a car based forum, a lot of manufacturers will be reviewing their pricing as we "speak".
I am in the market for a weekend fun driver, on my list was Morgan 3 wheel (If they come), Caterham, STI, EVO, 370Z or Clio Sport. I cannot justify any of these against the Toyota at the moment, sure the T is not quiet in the class of some of the above, but for that price and the reviews its getting, its now at the top of the list.
Old 14-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #429
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
But, why on a Ford forum are we concerned by the price of a Toyota?
Because any true enthuisiast takes an interest in other makes and models and can appreciate whats on offer.
Ignorant bogans on the other hand cant and only want to see one colour.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #430
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Because its a game changer and this is a car based forum, a lot of manufacturers will be reviewing their pricing as we "speak".
I am in the market for a weekend fun driver, on my list was Morgan 3 wheel (If they come), Caterham, STI, EVO, 370Z or Clio Sport. I cannot justify any of these against the Toyota at the moment, sure the T is not quiet in the class of some of the above, but for that price and the reviews its getting, its now at the top of the list.

Why not stick with an aussie car if you want something like a caterham - get an Elfin T5 Clubman
Old 14-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #431
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Because any true enthuisiast takes an interest in other makes and models and can appreciate whats on offer.
Ignorant bogans on the other hand cant and only want to see one colour.
steady guys, Graham's attention to detail is a bit like mine at work is all

amazing we're up to 15 pages on the 86
Old 15-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #432
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Thats a very good questions because it would be a huge change in mindset for the company..its been a while inbetween drinks.

Common sense would say you play you pay...but the amount of marketing they are leveraging through the modding and elements of track readiness make it an interesting situation.
Factory backed TRD parts will be made available (with warranty). None of which will involve an actual re-tune of the engine.

Subaru may offer this through their STI dealers, as they have dyno in their workshop and qualified tunners, not confirmed yet.

Test driving one in 2 weeks, all things going well order will be placed.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 15-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #433
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo

amazing we're up to 15 pages on the 86
I reckon if Ford/FPV ever did anything remotely like this then the AFF servers would melt down.

If this car works its a triumph for motoring, because we are constantly bashed with eco-crap and saving the planet and along comes a car that pretty much anyone with an income can afford and its all based around fun. Thats why I am excited about it, a pretty big mind set change for Toyota and a lesser extent Subaru (who have lost the plot of late).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #434
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

If this car works its a triumph for motoring
so you are a fan yeah?
Old 15-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #435
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
Why not stick with an aussie car if you want something like a caterham - get an Elfin T5 Clubman
Because the T5 costs 65K Kermit
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 15-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #436
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the old AE86 but it shows what a lightweight RWD can do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLD8JwtToI
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 15-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #437
The Monty
Just slidin'

Bevsta, thats exactly it. Its like my little CBF 250. Its the slowest thing ever in a straight line, something like 0-100 in 10.5 seconds. but in the corners, its just as fast as anything else on the road, because it is light, and well balanced.
This car wont interest a lot of people on here, as all they see are 0-100 and 1/4 mile figures. But when it comes to going through a decent set of twisty's (Mt Glorious, Mt. Neebo etc), and there was one of these and an F6, or GT to take a pick, I know what I would be choosing.
This car will sell huge. As many as they can send, they will sell. Its going to be a game changer, and hopefully this will make other manufacturers see that there is a market there for these things.
Congrats on an awesome car Toyota.
Old 15-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #438
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
That was awesome haha, jesus it looks like fun flogging it!
Old 15-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #439
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ace car, are they even happening? I was getting real excited and it all went a little quiet.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #440
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
RRP Sedan was $40,360
RRP for basic ute was $30,590

I see one driving on the roads every day, well the bonnet from the drivers seat

I wouldn't mind having a look at the 86, light weight, agile and fun. Only problem is I'm a heavy pri...person so I end up offsetting the light weight advantage.

It's about time there were some affordable sports cars like these being made again.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 15-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #441
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

I'd get the Subaru version, knowing full-well that it's a clone car and that my decision would be based purely on the badge.
Sue me.
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
Old 15-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #442
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
I wonder if Keiichi has taken the new 86 for a spin and what his thoughts are.

I can't remember how many touge vids I've seen on that same road and it looks like so much fun. I'd love to take my WRX for a run. About as close I get to it is going to the coast at Clyde Mountain and that's if there are not trucks and/or Camry's in front :
Old 15-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #443
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
News - Elfin Elfin alive but not kicking

Economic conditions, parts supply place Aussie sports car brand Elfin ‘on hiatus’
15 March 2012
By HAITHAM RAZAGUI
ELFIN, Australia’s answer to British niche kit car and sports car brands like Caterham and Westfield, is no longer producing vehicles and blaming the shutdown on economic conditions.

All is quiet at the Melbourne factory and will remain so for at least 12 months as the company, a division of Walkinshaw Performance, decides what to do next.

Walkinshaw Performance program engineer Alan Hale, who has assumed responsibility for Elfin and services existing customer vehicles, confirmed to GoAuto that the company is not manufacturing any vehicles.

“We are not building any more cars right now,” he said. “The business is in hiatus for possibly up to 12 months.”

Mr Hale said that in addition to economic conditions following the GFC, supply of General Motors sourced drivetrain components for the four-cylinder Type 5 open-wheeler, launched in 2008, had also been a problem.

“The T5 had several issues associated with that,” he said. “The engine and gearbox supply came from Pontiac, which shut their doors in the US.”

However Elfin does have enough components in stock to build “several” more cars if customer orders come in.

“If we get an order come in for a car we have enough stuff to put one together,” said Mr Hale. “We could put a couple or more together with current stock levels.”

The Type 5 was conceived as a way of boosting exports to Europe, where four-cylinder engines are the norm, but the region has been hit hard following the GFC and the high Australian dollar has not helped exports.

As a result, Walkinshaw Performance decided it could be served better by moving people that from Elfin to other areas.

An industry insider suggested to GoAuto that company enthusiasm for the Elfin brand died along with Tom Walkinshaw in December 2010.

In addition to the turbocharged Type 5, the modern Elfin line-up consisted of two V8-powered models: the MS8 Clubman open-wheeler and the MS8 Streamliner – a striking scissor-doored roadster with comfort features such as air-conditioning and cruise control.

Even when an economic recovery takes place, whether Elfin can make a comeback also depends on how tight government legislation for low-volume vehicle manufacturers becomes.
Old 15-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #444
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I see one driving on the roads every day, well the bonnet from the drivers seat

I wouldn't mind having a look at the 86, light weight, agile and fun. Only problem is I'm a heavy pri...person so I end up offsetting the light weight advantage.

It's about time there were some affordable sports cars like these being made again.
What do they drive like?

I've driven our work Fairmont Ghia, with the 3V triton, but its rooted, boss never put any oil in it and he ran it dry, so it sounds and runs like crap.
Old 16-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #445
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What do they drive like?

I've driven our work Fairmont Ghia, with the 3V triton, but its rooted, boss never put any oil in it and he ran it dry, so it sounds and runs like crap.
Mines an auto so I cant comment on driving a manual one. Before I had the exhaust fitted it pretty much drove like the 6cyl only a bit smoother. With the exhaust fitted it feels like a E7 headed 5.0L windsor (i.e. mid 90's version, not AU XR8) on steriods. Heaps of low and mid range torque, but still runs out of breath when the revs climb. Its a great daily actually because its performing it's best at regular driving rpm. Sounds really good too, better than a Boss IMO, and plenty of others.

Won't win too many traffic light grand prix (not that I do that) but it does fry its tyres pretty easily (not that I do that either, thats hooning ) with the tall 1st gear in the 4 speeder and diff ratio.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 16-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #446
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mother in law is supposedly getting one of the first ones in newcastle.. maybe as early as next week..

wonder how long it will take before i get my hands on the keys
Old 18-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #447
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/177595/t...s-coupe-wings/

Ricers rejoice! Now you can get the awesomely overhyped Toyota 86 with a massive wing package, and by wing I mean man this thing will make you fly!

On top of the awesome look, you will benefit from the enhanced handling. So next time when you are nailing some try hard R35 GTR driver at 200kmh, you can show them what separates the boys from the real man!

And all this comes at a totally affordable $3000, a really small price to pay for such performance. So you know that while all the boys are waiting their money on turbos and such, you get the real man deal wing!

* Aero package is non refundable, Toyota will not hold any responsibility when people blow you of the lights in their taxis or family sedans, complaints for being laughed at in traffic will not be accepted.
Old 18-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #448
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Other than the rear spoiler the rest of the kit looks really nice. Odd they make it on the GTS only though, im sure you will be able to pick it up through aftermarket/spare parts.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #449
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rear wing should be bigger
Old 18-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #450
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
http://www.caradvice.com.au/177595/t...s-coupe-wings/

Ricers rejoice! Now you can get the awesomely overhyped Toyota 86 with a massive wing package, and by wing I mean man this thing will make you fly!

On top of the awesome look, you will benefit from the enhanced handling. So next time when you are nailing some try hard R35 GTR driver at 200kmh, you can show them what separates the boys from the real man!

And all this comes at a totally affordable $3000, a really small price to pay for such performance. So you know that while all the boys are waiting their money on turbos and such, you get the real man deal wing!

* Aero package is non refundable, Toyota will not hold any responsibility when people blow you of the lights in their taxis or family sedans, complaints for being laughed at in traffic will not be accepted.

You can seek shelter under that thing.

Rest of the kit looks good though.