Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #301
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time will tell. But if Apple do release an updated iPhone 4, I bet they'll be made to replace or fix all the iPhone 4 models sold already. Just like car makers, if there is a fault or recall they have to fix all the cars affected. Personally, and again I could be wrong, certainly have been before, I can't see a revised iPhone 4 this year. Perhaps Apple will apply a thin clear film to the outer antenna, but it won't be something that I won't be able to do with my iPhone 4. I don't see the antenna as an issue, and if you look at the media now they are slowly backing away.

I'm just a crazy Apple/Ford Fan Boy though ;-)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #302
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
The good 'ol "keeping up with the Jones's" or for the younger one's " Look at ME".....oh now - don't spit your dummy kids
That's alright I'll get a new one in September hahahaha
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #303
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I think it would be the height of rudeness if Apple released an updated hardware version of the Iphone4 this year.
Unless they offered free handset upgrades to all I4 customers, an we know that would never happen.
For everyone that goes onto a plan for 2 years, they will have a superseeded phone within 3-6 months of its release, and thats poor form IMHO.

I know years ago Nokia used to release a new model every 8 to 12 months, and that was bad enough.

Why cant they just build the damm phones right with all the features there. Its not like bluetooth file transfer is new or anything..
It really grinds my gears that Telstra hold the exclusives to the HTC HD2 and Desire when i hear stuff like that.

Is there ANY hard evidence or proof about this update, or is it all speculation?

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #304
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Is there ANY hard evidence or proof about this update, or is it all speculation?
Speculation. They would be a minor update coming in 12 months but it would be nothing to discourage me from buying a iP4.

The BT file transfer is just implemented in software so is a considered omission by Apple.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #305
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Time will tell. But if Apple do release an updated iPhone 4, I bet they'll be made to replace or fix all the iPhone 4 models sold already. Just like car makers, if there is a fault or recall they have to fix all the cars affected. Personally, and again I could be wrong, certainly have been before, I can't see a revised iPhone 4 this year. Perhaps Apple will apply a thin clear film to the outer antenna, but it won't be something that I won't be able to do with my iPhone 4. I don't see the antenna as an issue, and if you look at the media now they are slowly backing away.

I'm just a crazy Apple/Ford Fan Boy though ;-)
I highly doubt it, it will be just bad luck to the owners of iPhone4 MKI. Apple wont replace every iPhone 4 already sold

Quote:
For everyone that goes onto a plan for 2 years, they will have a superseeded phone within 3-6 months of its release, and thats poor form IMHO.
Thats how HSV buyers feel
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #306
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have some contracts at work that need replacing, and am waiting for an IPHONE 4.. I dont know what to do :( Ever since i put the 4.01 upgrade on my 3G the antenna reception has DROPPED considerably!! what the hell are these guys doing!!
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #307
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
I have some contracts at work that need replacing, and am waiting for an IPHONE 4.. I dont know what to do :( Ever since i put the 4.01 upgrade on my 3G the antenna reception has DROPPED considerably!! what the hell are these guys doing!!
The upgrade made no difference to my 3GS and I'm with optus. Just go a 3GS if your worried or use the free bumpers with the i4. Everyone wins.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #308
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
It's because the phone was biased towards showing 5 bars of reception even though the signal was low. They've now made the signal distribution display a lot more evenly.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #309
stang65
FPRJET

On telstra agreed, since os4.01 on my 3gs it definately displays less sig strength was in oakleigh and first time ever dropped 3g and went to edge. Something smelly here , step backwards if you ask me.
My next phone definately will not be an iphone.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #310
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
It's because the phone was biased towards showing 5 bars of reception even though the signal was low. They've now made the signal distribution display a lot more evenly.
Since updating my 3GS all I've noticed is the first bar grew and thats usually all I see where I live as optus is balls, still works fine though
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #311
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
On telstra agreed, since os4.01 on my 3gs it definately displays less sig strength was in oakleigh and first time ever dropped 3g and went to edge. Something smelly here , step backwards if you ask me.
Yeah pretty poor form IMO, but ive been an Apple convert though
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #312
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I tried to order 1 today via Vodafone. Not happy Jan.
After a 40+ min wait on hold they informed me there was a 2-3 week wait for the 16gig and 4-6 weeks on the 32gig.
I told em to jam it, may go back to plan A and get a HTC. Im over Iphone hassles allready.
These fools at Apple and the Telcos had to know they would get swamped with orders, why didnt they plan ahead.
My mum ordered one on Monday and had it delivered today..
Time to look at other tellcos..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #313
Sprint347
Tickford

My GF and I both ordered Friday around midday, mine came today (Optus) and the other arrived monday (Vodafone).
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #314
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I tried to order 1 today via Vodafone. Not happy Jan.
After a 40+ min wait on hold they informed me there was a 2-3 week wait for the 16gig and 4-6 weeks on the 32gig.
I told em to jam it, may go back to plan A and get a HTC. Im over Iphone hassles allready.
These fools at Apple and the Telcos had to know they would get swamped with orders, why didnt they plan ahead.
My mum ordered one on Monday and had it delivered today..
Time to look at other tellcos..
Be careful if you're going to go the HTC Desire as the ones shipping now come with a SLCD screen instead of AMOLED screen, can see the SLCD better in direct sunlight but isn't as vivid, hard to spot the difference though unless side by side. Check the box, it will say whether it is AMOLED or SLCD.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #315
TWENTY B
Au Addict

i had a temperature alarm on my i4 yeasterday morning, it was 7* and the pfone wasn't hot or anything. went away after a few mins?? weird...

other than that i'm loving it. jailbroke it friday as well, loving life
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #316
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
On telstra agreed, since os4.01 on my 3gs it definately displays less sig strength was in oakleigh and first time ever dropped 3g and went to edge. Something smelly here, step backwards if you ask me.
So you don't like Apple because they fixed an issue with their iPhone models? I always used to wonder why I had full Virgin Mobile reception yet the speeds were so gutless, turn out the algorithm was wrong and it showed too many bars. Before iOS 4.0.1 my 3GS would show four bars, now it's just one. That's not Apple's fault, that's your service provider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I highly doubt it, it will be just bad luck to the owners of iPhone4 MKI. Apple wont replace every iPhone 4 already sold.
I don't even get this whole 'death grip' dilemma, my iPhone 4 is fine, it's better than fine it's fantastic. Just my opinion, but if Apple changes the antenna design within the next few months I truly think they'll be made to fix current iPhone 4 models. Not that the 'issue' even affects me, but can you just imagine the out roar in the US if they did update the design? The media will get onboard, people will start to sue, Apple won't want to, but I think they'll be forced to. In the US at least. Updating the design is Apple admitting it's an issue. Meh, couldn't care less, my iPhone 4 is perfect.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #317
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Agreed. My iPhone 4 has NO antenna issue. Death Grip just a myth thats being slapped all over the media because its an "apple iphone". If Nokia was the phone with an issue it wouldnt have got the publicity it did.

Doubt they will change the design, after all apple doesnt admit it has faults. The whole free case saga they still didnt admit there was a problem but to calm people down they gave free cases which some customers said fixed the issue. Hell doesnt everyone buy a case for their iphone? especially the ip4 with glass back and front.

Quote:
So you don't like Apple because they fixed an issue with their iPhone models? I always used to wonder why I had full Virgin Mobile reception yet the speeds were so gutless, turn out the algorithm was wrong and it showed too many bars. Before iOS 4.0.1 my 3GS would show four bars, now it's just one. That's not Apple's fault, that's your service provider...

I don't even get this whole 'death grip' dilemma, my iPhone 4 is fine, it's better than fine it's fantastic. Just my opinion, but if Apple changes the antenna design within the next few months I truly think they'll be made to fix current iPhone 4 models. Not that the 'issue' even affects me, but can you just imagine the out roar in the US if they did update the design? The media will get onboard, people will start to sue, Apple won't want to, but I think they'll be forced to. In the US at least. Updating the design is Apple admitting it's an issue. Meh, couldn't care less, my iPhone 4 is perfect.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #318
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok so ive updated my software, what does it entail besides the fix except for the optimistic reception display?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #319
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Still waiting for mine.... :(
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #320
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ok so ive updated my software, what does it entail besides the fix except for the optimistic reception display?
- Updated Carrier Signal Strength Display
- Increase in the length of the smaller signal bars
- The method in which signal strength is calculated has been enhanced
- Fixed Exchange ActiveSync issues

That's all you get for your 300mb out of 4.0.1. iOS 4.1 promises to offer a bit more in the line of improvements, and some much needed stability with my Fiesta Bluetooth when streaming audio. 3G users should see their phones be a bit quicker too...
Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #321
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
- Updated Carrier Signal Strength Display
- Increase in the length of the smaller signal bars
- The method in which signal strength is calculated has been enhanced
- Fixed Exchange ActiveSync issues

That's all you get for your 300mb out of 4.0.1. iOS 4.1 promises to offer a bit more in the line of improvements, and some much needed stability with my Fiesta Bluetooth when streaming audio. 3G users should see their phones be a bit quicker too...
All those things you mentioned i knew a little bit about but thats not alot for 378mb
Old 14-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #322
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we now have iOS 4.0.2 which is some simple security upgrades.
Old 15-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #323
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well we now have iOS 4.0.2 which is some simple security upgrades.
Whats with all these upgrades? I just got this one aswell another 380mb for pretty much nothing
Old 15-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #324
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish they'd just do it right the first time and not update it every week.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #325
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Wish they'd just do it right the first time and not update it every week.
Agreed
Old 15-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #326
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm... The worst thing about buying a 3GS for dirt cheap from the US, is I can't upgrade till they release jailbreaks.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #327
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

apparently redsn0w jailbreaks work with ios 4.0.2 .....
Old 16-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #328
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there any other updates in 4.0.2 other then the PDF security patch? Because there has been an update fixing that flaw available for jailbroken phones for a while.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #329
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

I believe there were more than just the PDF fix but i doubt apple will advise what that was. I mean the 4.0.2 update is around 550mb so a big files size for just a "fix". A number of sites report there is a fix for the proxy sensor in 4.0.2 for iPhone 4.

Over the next couple of days im sure there will be people finding things have being fixed with this update.
Old 16-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #330
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

OK need some pointers where I can download updates without having to pay.....
I haven't downloaded anything since I had my iphone some 12mths so point me in the right direction please fellas - also where can I download music without getting pinged as well please. Thanks in advance
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post