Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #301
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: Grab your final FPV

In that context with the VF's increasing and ready availability incl GTS it'll be very interesting too see how Ford get on with their final limited edition FPV run. On one hand you've got the XR8 with a new shape, the same engine and better pricing and technology (albeit without the GT or FPV badges), just around the corner, and the Mustang next year and on the other hand there's the prospect of immediate delivery of discounted VF HSV's with far more current technology.
Hmmm.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #302
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford will do fine with LE's.. Rumour has it most dealers have deposits waiting for them.

My dealer has 21 coming and has 5 firm orders. Sight unseen. Once they release details and firm up the information I think they will be safe.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #303
Rodge
Banned

I dunno. I think they're counting on lots of emotion coming from enthusiasts such as ourselves looking to own the last of the FPV's but with the XR8 coming with better technology, the same engine and a long overdue shape change will enthusiasts see past the loss of what could be argued is what ostensibly amounts to just a badge loss ?

Much will depend on content. Done properly with R Spec suspension and some other nice touches such as return of the blueprint colour or some other nostalgic nod too the past it might stir sufficient interest. OTOH dress up mutton as lamb with nothing more than stripes and badges and Ford will reap what they've sown IMO.

One thing is for sure HSV won;t be sitting back doing nothing. It'll be very interesting how this play's out.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #304
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I dunno. I think they're counting on lots of emotion coming from enthusiasts such as ourselves looking to own the last of the FPV's but with the XR8 coming with better technology, the same engine and a long overdue shape change will enthusiasts see past the loss of what could be argued is what ostenibly amounts to just a badge loss ?

Much will depend on content. Done properly with R Spec suspension and some other nice touches such as return of the blueprint colour or some other nostalgic nod too the past it might stir sufficient interest. OTOH dress up mutton as lamb with nothing more than stripes and badges and Ford will reap what they've sown IMO.
Ergh I dont agree. If your a "GT" guy an XR8 will be irrelevant to you. I think most enthusiasts that are "GT" guys will want the "last Falcon GT". R Spec sold exceptionally well so I think anyone who thinks this car will not sell is delusional.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #305
Rodge
Banned

We'll see Dash. In automotive terms its a very "tired" product. One one hand you can have a car with "the badge" which might get R Spec suspension and might cost you something like $15,000 (at a guess), more than an XR8 FH or on the other, a new shape, better technology, the same engine at a cheaper price. I'd go for the latter option myself but we're all different and there's no absolute right or absolute wrong answers which means nobody is delusional
Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #306
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheres the dislike button when you need it?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #307
Rodge
Banned

I don't know how other people see this but I look past a badge and look at the substance of what's on offer.

If something has a fresher and more pleasing shape and has significantly better technology but with the same engine and gearbox then prima facie I'd say that makes it the better car. That'll it'll be cheaper makes it more enticing still.
That said, yeah I get it that others want to have the collectability appeal of the last of the FPV's. Each to their own.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #308
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I dunno. I think they're counting on lots of emotion coming from enthusiasts such as ourselves looking to own the last of the FPV's but with the XR8 coming with better technology, the same engine and a long overdue shape change will enthusiasts see past the loss of what could be argued is what ostensibly amounts to just a badge loss ?

One thing is for sure HSV won;t be sitting back doing nothing. It'll be very interesting how this play's out.
I do hope they have the R Spec suspension and all the trick bits of a GTP in the final run! I'm one of the guys with a deposit down for the last GT.

The XR8 also appeals to me but externally, and even suspension wise, it would be pretty standard. The GT has just that little more there. The GT will have the better brakes as well (maybe).

I'm not too fussed with technology but might still buy a XR8 (closer to 2016) when they do come out but the GT is what I've always wanted.

both are relevant to me but I've had a XR8 before, I want a GT now.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #309
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I don't know how other people see this but I look past a badge and look at the substance of what's on offer.

If something has a fresher and more pleasing shape and has significantly better technology but with the same engine and gearbox then prima facie I'd say that makes it the better car. That'll it'll be cheaper makes it more enticing still.
That said, yeah I get it that others want to have the collectability appeal of the last of the FPV's. Each to their own.
As my reply above.

you are right about the new shape looking good (from the spy shots) and tempting, but it wont be a over the top looking GT. It will look like my XR8 does, like every other falcon on the road.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #310
Rodge
Banned

I guess much depends upon your perspective. If you're already sitting on a SC GT, or more especially a top end SC FPV (GT-E, GT-P, R Spec, whichever model floats your boat), you've already pulled the trigger on a deal and I'm thinking it would take something really special in the last of the FPV's to stir sufficient interest unless you're specifically going to be a collector. I've never owned an XR8 before but by coincidence I was looking at an old Falcon Fg brochure this morning and the XR8 looks very similar to my SC GT-P.

Where Ford prices the final FPV model will also be a critical factor in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #311
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I guess much depends upon your perspective. If you're already sitting on a SC GT, or more especially a top end SC FPV (GT-E, GT-P, R Spec, whichever model floats your boat), you've already pulled the trigger on a deal and I'm thinking it would take something really special in the last of the FPV's to stir sufficient interest unless you're specifically going to be a collector. I've never owned an XR8 before but I dug out an old brochure of the FG XR8's this morning and it looks very similar to my SC GT-P.

Where Ford prices the final FPV model will also be a critical factor in my opinion.
Agreed and I think you mentioned something similar in the thread earlier. If you already have a GT - X, it would need to be something outrageous to get your attention. For others who are just waiting to have one, it doesnt have to be all that spectacular.

The XR8/GT argument is like what I mentioned before. If you want the GT, you will pay a premium. If price is your deciding factor (or you already have a GT), then the XR8 would be the way to go.

Also, I'd love if they brought back blueprint for the final GT. I might even strip back the car and respray it cause I love blueprint!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #312
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Given that in the past it's been said by ford don't expect any vf type changes re technology I really can't understand why this point keeps coming up. Unless someone fully in the know can verify otherwise, I'd be only expecting a sheet metal change, basic touchscreen upgrades but a standard fg interior with minor revised changes.
That's it, nothing more , nothing less,
A Miami 335 for the xr8 and most prob the f6 running gear for the xr6
I'd be looking at it this way , do you want a fg II GT or a fh XR8 ? Cause apart from looks I'd be extremely surprised if there was any more difference than that.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #313
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess much depends upon your perspective. If you're already sitting on a SC GT, or more especially a top end SC FPV (GT-E, GT-P, R Spec, whichever model floats your boat), you've already pulled the trigger on a deal and I'm thinking it would take something really special in the last of the FPV's to stir sufficient interest unless you're specifically going to be a collector. I've never owned an XR8 before but by coincidence I was looking at an old Falcon Fg brochure this morning and the XR8 looks very similar to my SC GT-P.

Rodge what is your agenda? Not everyone thinks like you and there are guys out there that will be upgrading 5.0 FG's on the last model. There will be others that will be fortunate enough to add to their "collection" and there will be the Cobra brigade who think they can make 20 kay profit in a few months by buying one these final "GT"s. People will buy this car for the badge alone, nothing more, nothing less.

Its a bit like comparing a 200Kw EL GT to a 200kw AUII XR8 isn't it. I know which one is worth a shipload more!
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #314
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Agreed and I think you mentioned something similar in the thread earlier. If you already have a GT - X, it would need to be something outrageous to get your attention. For others who are just waiting to have one, it doesnt have to be all that spectacular.

The XR8/GT argument is like what I mentioned before. If you want the GT, you will pay a premium. If price is your deciding factor (or you already have a GT), then the XR8 would be the way to go.

Also, I'd love if they brought back blueprint for the final GT. I might even strip back the car and respray it cause I love blueprint!
Yeah I had a blueprint BA for three years and loved that colour too so a blueprint colour, r spec suspension, GT-P seats and 6/4 Brembo's, all at a fair price would definitly have me interested.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #315
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, blueprint, r spec suspension, GT-P seats and 6/4 Brembo's, all at a fair price. That would have me interested.

What does that have over your current car? Wider wheels and suspension. Kinda makes you point above void doesn't it? You cant have it both ways!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #316
Rodge
Banned

Paint colour and suspension Dash along with MK2 tech goodies and the more technically smart DSC that Trev keeps banging on about, which I suppose I should conceed must be a bit better. If you love Blueprint it really floats your boat. I had hobson's choice on my Edge coloured GT-P.
Edge or wait 6 months for a different colour. No agenda. Some people ascribe a high level of importance to a highly attractive colour, I'm one of them.

I don't think they'll release the final FPV in blueprint colour, simply because I think they're not smart enough to realise how popular this colour was, all I'm suggesting is that if they did that might be the thing that drags in quite a few extra punters who loved that colour in the past. It would certainly make me have a good think about it.

Last edited by Rodge; 05-03-2014 at 01:57 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #317
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sinclair Ford's allocation of the last GT's are all spoken for. I didn't put my hand up as I have an R-Spec.

If I had the moolah I would love to get an FH XR8 as a memento of the last of the line.

I think those expecting the last FPV's to have R-Spec suspension and wheels will be disappointed as Ford (vs Prodrive) are too conservative.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #318
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Sinclair Ford's allocation of the last GT's are all spoken for. I didn't put my hand up as I have an R-Spec.

If I had the moolah I would love to get an FH XR8 as a memento of the last of the line.

I think those expecting the last FPV's to have R-Spec suspension and wheels will be disappointed as Ford (vs Prodrive) are too conservative.
Got a call this afternoon from my local dealer with whom I've put a deposit down. He has heard rumors that it will have R Spec suspension. Not fuss about the wheels as I've already got a set of 20" x 10" for the rears waiting for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #319
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Just sitting here trying to count how many of your previous posts are banging on about the 'exclusivity' of FPV's and how it should be protected etc.....and now this. I can't keep up?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #320
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
]
Its a bit like comparing a 200Kw EL GT to a 200kw AUII XR8 isn't it. I know which one is worth a shipload more!
Well I've had both and guess which one isn't leaving the garage.

I would like to see a limited edition GT like the EL was - the 'modern' GT's are a built to order if youve got the cash we'll build you one. The special ones are the limited edition ones like the EL and it would be nice to see one more come out.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #321
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Just sitting here trying to count how many of your previous posts are banging on about the 'exclusivity' of FPV's and how it should be protected etc.....and now this. I can't keep up?
To be fair, he was talking about current GT owners "upgrading" to the last GT.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #322
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post

Think a better comparison would be to the EB GT and ED XR8 Sprint.

And agreed, history shows the GT is a more collected car though the Sprint has its following

Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #323
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I have hear rumours that the will be 500 examples of the "special" GT after building 200 FPVs up until mid year or so. Possible new front bar (black edition or maybe just coloured accents) and looking like 375kw decals. Just what I have heard through a industry contact who has links with Ford through his business and of course a GT owner.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #324
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Got a call this afternoon from my local dealer with whom I've put a deposit down. He has heard rumors that it will have R Spec suspension. Not fuss about the wheels as I've already got a set of 20" x 10" for the rears waiting for it.

I hope it does come like that for you; you'll be a happy chappy!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #325
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Word is the decision on wether the XR8 will be 315 or 335 still hasn't been decided. The GT may still go out as the king.

IMO it would be totally fn weak if Ford only put the 315 in the XR8 though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #326
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

question to all, is the current GT a Falcon GT or a FPV GT? I think you will find it's a FPV GT. using that side of the above arguments then I would assume the last falcon v8 i.e XR8 would be the chart topper.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #327
BHDOGS
Banned

what you talking about
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #328
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A GT is a GT. In the great wide land outside these forums EVERYTHING else to world outside these forums is a lesser product. To non car people I tell them I have a GT not a. GTE. Because they don't know or care the difference.

After 13 years with a TS50 a fine car that it is. It gets tiring trying to explain to non car folk what it is.

So the right answer is GT not XR8. I'll never understand why there isn't an FH GT.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #329
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
A GT is a GT. In the great wide land outside these forums EVERYTHING else to world outside these forums is a lesser product. To non car people I tell them I have a GT not a. GTE. Because they don't know or care the difference.

After 13 years with a TS50 a fine car that it is. It gets tiring trying to explain to non car folk what it is.

So the right answer is GT not XR8. I'll never understand why there isn't an FH GT.
Yes. A GT is enough to explain everything to everyone. Even non car people they know straight away Even if it is a bit snobbyish ....... stiff! I still think its more about "OH, you drive a really fast car" more than "Pretentious dick"

I still enjoy looking at the badge.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #330
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

GT- a nomenclature associated with the pinnacle of performance and desirability across so many marques. Yep, says it all.

And right with you on the T series thing Elks- you end up saying the GT before they bought the GT back (they were fun times on these here forums in that transition and for years after! )
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: