Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 27-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Default 13.58 @ 102.97mph

Hello,

Last night took the car down the strip for the first time. Heres the results;

60ft 2.086
330ft 5.756
660ft 8,768
kph 130
mph 81.35
1000ft 11.387
ET 13.587
mph 102.97

Track temp 20 degrees
Humidity 70%

other runs...
13.765 @ 102.27
15.408 @ 102.69
13.716 @ 102.09
13.605 @ 103.81

It has 320rwhp, but it felt like its lacking mid range. The bottom of third it just dies(not literally, but doesnt pull as hard).

The setup is an EF Falcon, with a custom turbo setup running 10psi through an AU motor, with a 2800 stally and a 3.08 diff.

The 15 sec run was the only time i lost traction, the rest were pretty good, so im quite happy with the traction side of things

Can any of you racing experts pin point what area shes lacking on the qtr? And also whether a ratio change would be as worthwile as some people suggest?

Im crossing the line around low to mid range of 3rd, but id like that to be high up approaching the limiter.

Thanks guys.

- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

60' is pretty poor. Are you getting any boost before launching?

Try holding down the foot brake and holding up the handbrake while stalling up. Let it spool the turbo.

I had a 2500 stall on my AU and could get around 6-7psi before launching. I ran 1.6s 60's.

Thats a 12 second run for you if you can do the same.
Old 27-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Yeh i tried that dan, stalled it as far as shed go, but i didnt get a chance to check the boost as im reading it off the hand controller but that wasnt near me.

Im not sure if its spooling up, as ive had problems with spool up time with the last tune. Also, i think the mid range tune doesnt help off the line as it will launch, and then all of a sudden kick in so to speak.

The wheel spin i got was never as soon as i let the foot off the brake, it was about half a second later which i thought was wierd.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 27-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Chris
AFF.com.au

dude,

the numbers at this stage indicate a low or near to low 13 sec pass - some decent diff gears will sort the 60, and shortly thereafter you will see a drop in the top as well.

My advice? do some research on what tyre combo you are happy with on the road, then select a diff ratio that will suit the whole combo, and also be kind to the quarter mile.

I think a 12.8-13.1 is a straight up no brainer, if I can be of any help man, shoot me a PM.

Christo
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Thanks Chris.

My tuner said the sluggish of the mark due to the spool up. And he said that the mid range slugishness through third i felt was due to the lack of air flow to the turbo(Filter is still attatched to turbo and battery and psp block air flow).

Heres a look at the dyno, which clearly shows the slow spool up, which is why i think im not getting too much power off the line, but losing traction a moment later.

Diff gears i was thinking of a 3.45, hopefully to get it revving out more through to the top of 3rd. I havent seen anyone else use 3.7s with an e-series turbo setup(Im sure someone may have tried), But id always love to give it a try with some awesome tyres on.

It was my first time out on the track so i might be doing some things wrong :P My first run was a 13.7 which i didnt even stall it up or do a burnout. It was straight off the highway, straight down the staging lanes and within a minute i was staring at a shiny 400m :P

Cheers guys.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

There is deffinatly more in that beast BOOSTEDEF. Put the 3.45's in it and she should go alright. You better do something man OED666 is only 0.3 sec away from ya without a turbo.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Yeh true, thats a mighty effort. But i think its all in the gearing. A manual with 3.9s Vs an Auto with a 3.08 ss and a sluggish mid range tune.

Ive got a 3.45 LSD in sight should have it this week. That and the battery in the boot and also a wolf boost controller which should allow quicker spool up and launching on boost.

Will see what happens in the coming weeks.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 07-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

i'd be inclined to say its down on power.
a 250rwkw car should be pulling more then 102mph.

deffinately recommend 3.45's and perhaps a check up on the dyno.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
OLS108
LS1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
i'd be inclined to say its down on power.
a 250rwkw car should be pulling more then 102mph.

deffinately recommend 3.45's and perhaps a check up on the dyno.
yep Right on the Money, 104MPH is 250BHP not rwkw
Old 09-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

If you have a look at the Intake Temp. on the dyno sheet that's posted, you'll understand why that dyno read out was 316ish HP and the car's MPH on the track tells a different story. Hate to say it to ya BOOSTED but your car is only making about 260-270HP at the treads mate.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

***** i didnt notice that. Why tune it to unrealistic temps? hhmmm.

Anyhow, i appreciate the feedback guys, at least its pointing me in the right direction.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 20-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #12
Rollin
Banned

they dont tune it to unrealistic temps, they have just put the intake temp sensor probe in a hot place in the engine bay - either that or they have it in the right place and the engine is actually sucking in 70 degree air, in which case you really need to do something about that!

If the dyno sees a high intake air temp it will adjust its power reading to compensate - there is probably a 100hp difference in dyno readings (for the exact same car) between sticking the dyno intake temp sensor in a bucket of ice or right over the exhaust manifold.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post