Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
revhead24ads

Default Spare Parts Shop?

Hey guys,
some of you may or may not know that i have worked in spare parts for 7 years now and my life long ambition has been to own my own parts shop. Most shops around here struggle with business so opening a new shop would not work, but i think that selling parts online ie:ebay/own website is definately the way to go. After thourah research i have found two problems, having the parts to sell ie:supplier and catalogues. and cash flow.
Anyone got any ideas they would like to throw around? tips, help, suggestions.

Craig is my hero.
Jaimie's my mate,
Rick's lost his lolly bag,
so GO Triple Eight!
revhead24ads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
61sg
Starter Motor

are you a registered business yet? contact reps of supliers and try and establish an account even if they are c.o.d and they should supply you with some catalogues.

open a shop within ebay prehaps as a lot of traffic passes through there
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have to agree with 61sg Adam, if you open an online store, it has to be a secure site and have online credit card facilities. At least with ebay you get security and different methods for customers to pay with (ie: paypal, direct deposits, etc)
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
revhead24ads

thanks for the input mate, one problem with suppliers is that they will only supply to a retail shop.

Craig is my hero.
Jaimie's my mate,
Rick's lost his lolly bag,
so GO Triple Eight!
revhead24ads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Do a business plan. Not a cheap napkin style plan but an extensive business plan. This will outline your basic business outline, core strategy, marketing, operations and financials. You should conduct alot of research as far as the marketing goes, and be prepared to take criticism. You should also aim to identify who your target market is, and what they are prepared to primarily buy. Remember, the negative criticism is the most constructive, everyone telling you how great it is will only serve to see you fail. You should also set goals and pitch the proposal to the parts suppliers.
Basically, it is a good idea having a one stop shop that customers do not have to visit, so that will mean you will have to stock an awful lot of parts.
I'd recommend initially setting up agreements with suppliers to ship directly from their warehouse to the end user. This will have the flow on effect of moving their stock more rapidly, whilst opening up other avenues for them. You also might need to have a financial kick through an investor, in order to pay for the basic inventory. In sydney, fastway couriers is a good company to use.

But the most objective advice I can give you is do some extensive research; the need, the competition, the suppliers, the dispatch, payment, finances etc.

Quote: