Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Default Up and running... Cool!

4 of the 5 Super B's are on the job now at work. And I snapped a few piccies of mine today, while that strange yellow thing in the sky was showing : : : They are way cool to drive, and easier to back than a normal B Double. Mass managed with a GVM of 109 tonnes, 16ltr V8 426kw(580hp) 2700nm(1993 ft lb)

You'll have to excuse the dirt, been a wet week on the wharf.

Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Gess that long. Are you only aloud to use perapprove routes with it?
Old 29-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Gess that long. Are you only aloud to use perapprove routes with it?
Yeah, bummer. Can't go far, or stray of the route. 29 metres bumper to tail.
Old 29-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
XRQTOR
Banned

Is this one of the new ones with the steerable tri.

They have some very very dumb rules these days and are cracking down on the normal ones, had a vic double knocked off the other night for being 75kg heavy on the steer. Driver wasn't allowed to get out, weighed the best part of 14okg's. Not to mention 3omin of driving would consume enough fuel to drop that weight.

An empty single got pinned at MT white while empty for beng 2ook'gs over weight on the steer, had filled his tanks and having no weight over the tri made him heavy on the steer.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Steerable quad, and tri. 7t on the steer, 26t drive, 42t quad, 34t tri. 2 x 28t 40'er's can be loaded and not even close to any axle group max weights.
Old 29-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
Steerable quad, and tri. 7t on the steer, 26t drive, 42t quad, 34t tri. 2 x 28t 40'er's can be loaded and not even close to any axle group max weights.
Yea i meant the quad not the tri, so they both steer do they.

So what is it classed as a road train being 2 singles, what does it tare. How does it pull when loaded.
Old 29-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The next big thing in road transport.

It looks like a very neat / straight unit to, obviously well set up for the truck / job.

Shame about the long vehicle sign, really ruins the front view!

How do you find the Scania V8? Theres mixed reviews on them in the industry and theres not alot of them around up this way. There seems to be alot more FM/FH12 Volvos getting around up here, they seem to be a nice truck specially with the signature 580 in them.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Yea i meant the quad not the tri, so they both steer do they.

So what is it classed as a road train being 2 singles, what does it tare. How does it pull when loaded.
It's classed as a Super B Double, and tares in approx 25t. The Scania pulls extremely well with a gvm of 94t, haven't gone to 109t as yet, but it will do very there too. The whole rig is fitted with an Air-Weigh scale system. I can get any or all axle group weights on a display in the cab. The steer axles can be locked via a switch on the dash, to allow reversing.
Old 29-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
The next big thing in road transport.

It looks like a very neat / straight unit to, obviously well set up for the truck / job.

Shame about the long vehicle sign, really ruins the front view!

How do you find the Scania V8? Theres mixed reviews on them in the industry and theres not alot of them around up this way. There seems to be alot more FM/FH12 Volvos getting around up here, they seem to be a nice truck specially with the signature 580 in them.
Yeah mate, the Cummins option for the Volvo is a major selling point, along with the extremely comfy ride. As long as you don't mind the floating feeling associated with the big Volvos. As far as the Scania V8 goes, it's perfectly suited for the short heavy hauling on the wharf. But I can't comment for highway, as I don't and wouldn't do it.
Old 29-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
It's classed as a Super B Double, and tares in approx 25t. The Scania pulls extremely well with a gvm of 94t, haven't gone to 109t as yet, but it will do very there too. The whole rig is fitted with an Air-Weigh scale system. I can get any or all axle group weights on a display in the cab. The steer axles can be locked via a switch on the dash, to allow reversing.
A super B double, i suppose it doesn't have a dolly which is why it's still a double.

That setup is crazy mate the amount of money and time that would have gone into getting it developed and on the road would hardly seem worth it considering there' only 5.
Old 29-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yeah mate, the Cummins option for the Volvo is a major selling point, along with the extremely comfy ride. As long as you don't mind the floating feeling associated with the big Volvos. As far as the Scania V8 goes, it's perfectly suited for the short heavy hauling on the wharf. But I can't comment for highway, as I don't and wouldn't do it.
Yeh the FH volvos (in partcular the globetrotters) have always had that bouncy floating feeling about them, to be honest they actually make me feel a bit sea sick.

Very nice combination anyways! :
Old 29-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A super B double, i suppose it doesn't have a dolly which is why it's still a double.

That setup is crazy mate the amount of money and time that would have gone into getting it developed and on the road would hardly seem worth it considering there' only 5.
Id say there will be more of this type of combination on the road before you know it.

We seen B Tripples start to take off with quite a few manufacturers building them when they were first made legal (although they have somewhat died in the *** now). I'd say there will be a few try these since they obviously meet RTA obligations and save on the extra costs of running a dolly and being easier to use.

Not sure how they would go on livestock as theres probarly more top heavy weight, but id say for curtain siders and petrol tankers they could well be the go.

Its also interesting to note in QLD i have NEVER seen one of these combinations, nor do we see many B tripples (manly livestock operaters & petrol).
Old 29-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #13
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:

We have 5 for a contract, but similar units are being operated by Patricks (Toll) L.Arthur and Coynes. They have been around for around 10 years in Melbourne so the R&D has already been done. And you'd be amazed how much freight 5 of us can move compared to a normal B setup.

And in this game there is little room for waste, especially with oil prices the way they are. Ford Australia are currently running 33 mtr B Triples between the Geelong Engine plant and Broadmeadows. Though these babies are light by comparison, having only tandem axle groups throughout.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
We have 5 for a contract, but similar units are being operated by Patricks (Toll) L.Arthur and Coynes. They have been around for around 10 years in Melbourne so the R&D has already been done. And you'd be amazed how much freight 5 of us can move compared to a normal B setup.

And in this game there is little room for waste, especially with oil prices the way they are. Ford Australia are currently running 33 mtr B Triples between the Geelong Engine plant and Broadmeadows. Though these babies are light by comparison, having only tandem axle groups throughout.
Yea iv'e hear do the ford b triples but they can only run a certain route can't they.

I suppose they wouldn't get much use in sydney with how tight the roads are up here, with the price of petrol road freight is starting to die in the **** except to wa. All our normal subbies who run to s.a are stuck there and can't get out, one guy has 5 guys stuck down there atm.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Id say there will be more of this type of combination on the road before you know it.

We seen B Tripples start to take off with quite a few manufacturers building them when they were first made legal (although they have somewhat died in the *** now). I'd say there will be a few try these since they obviously meet RTA obligations and save on the extra costs of running a dolly and being easier to use.

Not sure how they would go on livestock as theres probarly more top heavy weight, but id say for curtain siders and petrol tankers they could well be the go.

Its also interesting to note in QLD i have NEVER seen one of these combinations, nor do we see many B tripples (manly livestock operaters & petrol).
The B tripples still arn't allowed over the mountains are they, can't say iv'e ever seen them.
Old 29-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, we dont see them past Warwick / Toowoomba, not allowed down either ranges as they arent Road Train Routes.

It was my belief that B Tripples were only allowd on certain routes, other then that it was Road Train routes only for them, and to be honest the initial cost of setting them up was no advantage over a standard Road train combination, specially when you had to split them up to get them into capital cities, for an extra 20 foot over a 40 / 40 road train combo it wasnt worth it!

As for the above combo, if you were to buy a new A trailer, would it make use of a standard 40 Foot B Trailer, or would you have to buy a complete combo??
Old 30-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #17
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Nope, we dont see them past Warwick / Toowoomba, not allowed down either ranges as they arent Road Train Routes.

It was my belief that B Tripples were only allowd on certain routes, other then that it was Road Train routes only for them, and to be honest the initial cost of setting them up was no advantage over a standard Road train combination, specially when you had to split them up to get them into capital cities, for an extra 20 foot over a 40 / 40 road train combo it wasnt worth it!

As for the above combo, if you were to buy a new A trailer, would it make use of a standard 40 Foot B Trailer, or would you have to buy a complete combo??
The B for this set-up needs to upgraded for weight only if you intend going for the gross that mass management allows, but it must have ABS.
Old 30-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
XRQTOR
Banned

Which axel steer's on the tri.
Old 30-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Which axel steer's on the tri.
It's the last axle in each group of the trailer set. It's not actually a steer like you would traditionally imagine, as the trailer turns a corner, the last axle tries to mantain the original track before the turn. This aids the turn and reduces tyre scrub. They have to be locked prior to reversing or damage may result to the steer axle. The tricky part in a small area like West Swanson Dock, is making sure you have the whole combo straight before locking the axles for reversing onto the loading grids.
Old 30-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
It's the last axle in each group of the trailer set. It's not actually a steer like you would traditionally imagine, as the trailer turns a corner, the last axle tries to mantain the original track before the turn. This aids the turn and reduces tyre scrub. They have to be locked prior to reversing or damage may result to the steer axle. The tricky part in a small area like West Swanson Dock, is making sure you have the whole combo straight before locking the axles for reversing onto the loading grids.
Ah ok, so it can only be backed up in a straight line then.
Old 30-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #21
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Ah ok, so it can only be backed up in a straight line then.
It's only the steer axle that locks not the turntable (fifth wheel). It still backs like a normal B Double, just 4 metres or so longer. You just need to be straight to lock the steer, or the locking pins won't locate. Once locked and backing commences it's easy to get it all out of shape...
Old 30-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yea iv'e hear do the ford b triples but they can only run a certain route can't they.

I suppose they wouldn't get much use in sydney with how tight the roads are up here, with the price of petrol road freight is starting to die in the **** except to wa. All our normal subbies who run to s.a are stuck there and can't get out, one guy has 5 guys stuck down there atm.
They have to follow the same route from the gatehouse at Geelong to the gatehouse at Broadmeadows, which means it only has to take 3 corners the whole way if you include the turnoff onto the Western ring road, so it makes it pretty easy for them. Not so good for the guy who ran a red light on a motorbike trying to flee the cops and smashing into the side of a moving one though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #23
promina

what fuel economy can you get ? and range with a *solid* load with full tanks ?
promina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #24
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by promina
what fuel economy can you get ? and range with a *solid* load with full tanks ?
Hard to say, we only travel aroung the wharf, are limited to 50kph and have relatively small tanks. The truck runs 24 hours and gets about 3-4 days on about 450 litres. If that helps? I'm guessing around 1.5 k's per litre approx, with most loads being upwards of 70 tonnes GVM.
Old 30-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They have to follow the same route from the gatehouse at Geelong to the gatehouse at Broadmeadows, which means it only has to take 3 corners the whole way if you include the turnoff onto the Western ring road, so it makes it pretty easy for them. Not so good for the guy who ran a red light on a motorbike trying to flee the cops and smashing into the side of a moving one though.
Oh well you play you pay, can't blame the truck for that.
Old 30-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Oh well you play you pay, can't blame the truck for that.
Felt sorry for the driver, he got hassled by the police and workcover people when he did nothing wrong.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Felt sorry for the driver, he got hassled by the police and workcover people when he did nothing wrong.
Sounds sooooo familiar. Always the driver's fault. And when proven otherwise, never an apology.
Old 31-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Ask Rutleys about Scania's, they got rid of them in favour of the Neck snapping Cab Overs

The people I work for run about 20-25 Volvo's (500hp) along with 100+ back breaking Cabover KW's. We had 3 Volvo's with the signature 600's in them and could'nt get rid of them quick enough. 3 MAJOR engine blowouts (and I mean major, like rods through the block) in each truck before any of them reached 500,000kms
Quote:
B-Triple's need no extra manufacturing. You just use two 'A' trailers then the usual 'B' at the back. In QLD they have a quaint way of calling a B-Double road train (B-double+dolly+standard trailer) a B-triple. Close, but no cigar
We run B-Triples every day of the week from SA to WA.
Quote:
The B tripples still arn't allowed over the mountains are they, can't say iv'e ever seen them.
The only B-doubles allowed over Mt Vic are the baby 19m type.
Old 31-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #29
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dad owned a Volvo FH12 420. The truck was strong. Could pull anything. Used to pull 20t of milk and would occasionally pull a B Double. The bed was very comfortable. I first learnt to drive manuel in it on private property. Can you imagine a FH12 bunny hoppin.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post