Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2024, 04:21 PM   #61
Warrenk

Default Re: So "In 5 Years' time we'll all be driving Chinese cars" - how's that working out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
If Ford can't provide the next passenger car I want then I will be looking at Mazda, never ever Chinese. I would never ever buy a Chinese SUV / Twin Cab either

I actually get a little internally angry when I hear people I know buying or have bought a Chinese piece of shit. Every time we buy their garbage we are supporting their economy and all they want to do is shaft us - the relationship is NOT a 2 way street
So you won't buy Chinese garbage, so I would think you will get rid of your computer, phone, all your household electrical appliance, all electric tools, some of your clothing, shoes and anything else you own which is made in China. These may not be a vehicle, but buying anything from China will support their economy.
Old 14-06-2024, 04:56 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: So "In 5 Years' time we'll all be driving Chinese cars" - how's that working out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Which would last better spending $40K ? (mind you I'd never buy either)
Jimny goes back from the 70's to date, depending the market.
Majority made in Japan early days and again market dependant Spain/Brazil/Indo/Kenya/Thai/India and a number more.
Won't be surprised it wll last better than the Haval at this stage.

China have had partnership IP with leading OE's going back yonks and yonks, mostly VW/Das Auto and GM who are very strong in their market last 40/50yrs.
Therefore that leads into sub supplier partnerships as well ie Bosch etcetc so they have had IP knowledge intel for a damn long time amongst other brands.
It is not new building vehicles there.
Some of their OE's are as old as our beginnings with GM/Ford building here and longer.
Their quality has been rubbish imo having visited there the last 25yrs BUT they now HAVE to lift their game having turned to Export their brands in todays world.
All up to them to make the grade.
I know the first chinese Importer here was Ateco, it was a failure for them for sometime, as one mentioned the first GWM utes were rubbish and a couple of other brands ala Chery.
The main issue apart from sub standard drivetrains/engines/QC was the lack of back up support which is the issue today and worse because more are coming to town.
I suppose early adaptors a term used today will pay the price of sub standard service for the bang for buck, good luck to them.
I had dramas getting parts for a customers Great Wall ute - V200 or what ever they were, was in 2015, I had to improvise some electrical circuitry to keep it going.

Would have only been 5-6 years old at the time.

I think if they get their shit together with spare parts then they'll be like Hyundai/Kia in the 1990s with cheap transport.

There's a lot of LDV Deliver 9 and G10+ on the roads, Mercedes Sprinter is losing a bit of ground to the Deliver 9.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-06-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2024, 07:24 PM   #63
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you don't do your research, then the MG looks good in terms of features for dollars. They actually aren't that inexpensive, but their list of features is impressive. End of the day, we bought a demo Juke ST+ (<5kkm) for less than the price of a runout MG.

And I put a lot more faith in the features of the Nissan, to actually work.

I mean WTF is the point of a "Safety Feature" that only works occasionally?
Old 14-06-2024, 07:33 PM   #64
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
nah, he is a 30 year old interstate truck driver
Is anyone immune to aging?

Yep, 25 years ago I hated those cheap crap Hyundai Excel's, but now I've got a Hyundai as the most expensive car in the driveway.

Except, Franco, I handed over the VDJ79 I've been driving for work the last 4 weeks
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2024, 07:35 PM   #65
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
You may already know this but last year Aust. exported over $120Billion to China and we imported from China around $70Billion...yes almost all being resources....but our trade with China is equivalent to the total combined trade of the next 9 countries in this list....

https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...rts-by-country
Yeah, and as the Barley Ban taught the world, this whole idea that "we need China more than they need us" is a complete myth. Apart from failing miserably, the Barley Ban hurt Chinese manufacturers, more than it hurt Australian Farmers.

And the biggest joke, is that long-term, the world doesn't need China at all. The world buys Chinese Steel because it's cheaper. So the Chinese buy our Iron Ore.
First thing is that Iron Ore (like Barley) is a global commodity. We sell direct to China because they're close, but if they banned Australian Iron Ore, they would have to buy elsewhere, and we would sell elsewhere. We'd both lose out, but only in effect the cost of extra transport.
And long-term, there are plenty of other countries that would love to ramp up their steel making.
Old 14-06-2024, 07:59 PM   #66
JG33

Rather catch a bus than own a Chinese built car.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2024, 08:02 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Except, Franco, I handed over the VDJ79 I've been driving for work the last 4 weeks
Expensive on the invoice, cheap on the driving experience - how did you enjoy all 430NM and 151KW

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 14-06-2024 at 10:12 PM. Reason: oops! No edit...
Old 14-06-2024, 08:44 PM   #68
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd buy a second hand car before I'd buy a new one but each to their own. The other manufacturers abandoned the market so no surprise to me.

Especially when you don't give a shit about a cars except going A to B, which the young ones don't.

Toyota, Mazda, Kia, and Hyundai are really getting up there in cost.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2024, 10:12 PM   #69
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Expensive on the invoice, cheap on the driving experience - how did you enjoy all 430NM and 151KW
Quoting instead...

It was an "experience"! Play the gears right, and you could be quicker off the mark than the occasional sleepy tradie. No fancy options to distract you, but I'm sure I earned a truckload of overtime trying to negotiate coffee drive thru's or finding a large enough parking spot!
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2024, 10:28 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Quoting instead...

It was an "experience"! Play the gears right, and you could be quicker off the mark than the occasional sleepy tradie. No fancy options to distract you, but I'm sure I earned a truckload of overtime trying to negotiate coffee drive thru's or finding a large enough parking spot!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2024, 05:43 AM   #71
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
More recently there was the asbestos gaskets in motors, maybe asbestos in brakes too can't remember which brand though. Useful stuff, asbestos, good heat resistance properties.
Great Wall, now called GWM (Great Wall Motors)
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2024, 05:45 AM   #72
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
So you won't buy Chinese garbage, so I would think you will get rid of your computer, phone, all your household electrical appliance, all electric tools, some of your clothing, shoes and anything else you own which is made in China. These may not be a vehicle, but buying anything from China will support their economy.
I know, and I avoid buying anything Chinese where I can. I will ALWAYS buy an alternative to Chinese if there is one, what about you?
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2024, 10:51 AM   #73
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know, and I avoid buying anything Chinese where I can. I will ALWAYS buy an alternative to Chinese if there is one, what about you?
Interesting point and a valid one. The flood of cheap imports are having an impact on locally produced goods making it necessary ( if one cares enough) to think it through. A recent case was buying a pair of steel cap boots. One popular brand made in Bangladesh was $220 a pair. A store around the corner had Mongrel boots same style made in Australia for the same price
3 users like this post: