Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-04-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Exclamation Interesting thread !

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2232/article.html !!!

opinions ???

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
OldManGhia

Sounds like bs to me. When I put in the K&N filter it made a big diference. I had thought that a lot of the gain may have been due to the old filter being dirty but according to this article there is no difference between a clean or dirty filter. So why do we bother changing the filter if it makes no difference? Why do service manuals recommend changing the filter. I think this bloke should go back to the drawing board.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Personally I think autospeed is the biggest load of rubbish on the net. I dont believe much of anything they print anymore.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I think that bloke needs to learn a little bit more aboutintake systems before he starts feeding people more of this b.s. Maybe he should ask himself why companies like K&N, bmc and the like exist profitably if their products don't perform.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Julian Edgar?

Its a wonder they let him out of the mail room!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

thanks guys, thats what i needed to hear , i was starting to think my logic was all backwards , obviouslly its that bloke who wrote that article that has his head up his bum ..ty

Old 30-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

What sort of gauge is that and can I get one?

You'd think that a filter clogged with rubbish wont flow so well.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Its just a pressure guage , this bloke almost contradicts himself in this article , i think the car he used for a test allready had a overly large air filter ( too big for the car ) which allready allowed more airflow than what the car could suck , thats why when he measured with a dirty filter he got bugger all a difference reading ! .

Old 30-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

So many people expect power gains from nothing like air filters spark plugs and so on. they are all just maitenance items really. no power gains. what do you expect from an article testing filter restriction? proof they make more power or do any more than filter dirt well or not?
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
Sounds like bs to me. When I put in the K&N filter it made a big diference.
It seemed like a dodgy article. I do believe a K & N panel filter does Nothing, "SFA" to performance. They used to be cost effective because you just clean them & they last virtually forever but now with their retail approaching $140, why bother out: .
Old 30-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
DGROMS

I think the guy actually makes a good point and you guys need to all read the article again before commenting like you have. A standard Air filter element will flow on the most part exactly the same in a standard air box as an aftermarket filter, that is why that filter was chosen by the OEM it fits the flow rate of the intake delivery, so he is right, I even tested this with an air flow meter on my GT with the stock, a K&N and a BMC filter, all exactly the same. The aftermarket filter however unlike the OEM can be washed, oiled and reused and also has the capability to flow higher when a modified air box or extra air is allowed into the air box like most Cold Air Kits for BA Falcons do, so he is right on and you guys that bagged him need to read again.

This is his last line and I agree with it totally
Quote:
Don’t start off by changing the filter; start off by altering the intake flow into the box.
DGROMS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

K&N panel in mine made a slight but noticeable difference. Better throttle response too.
Old 30-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Edit.
Old 30-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGROMS
I think the guy actually makes a good point and you guys need to all read the article again before commenting like you have. A standard Air filter element will flow on the most part exactly the same in a standard air box as an aftermarket filter, that is why that filter was chosen by the OEM it fits the flow rate of the intake delivery, so he is right, I even tested this with an air flow meter on my GT with the stock, a K&N and a BMC filter, all exactly the same. The aftermarket filter however unlike the OEM can be washed, oiled and reused and also has the capability to flow higher when a modified air box or extra air is allowed into the air box like most Cold Air Kits for BA Falcons do, so he is right on and you guys that bagged him need to read again.

What you are saying maybe true but if his testing was accurate how come there was no difference between a clean filter and a dirty filter. Surely a clean filter will have better airflow than a dirty one.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
i think the car he used for a test allready had a overly large air filter ( too big for the car ) which allready allowed more airflow than what the car could suck
I think you've hit the nail on the head, so the question really is..

How do we know when the air filter is a restriction? And I dont really know what the answer is.

For the record, I still use a paper air filter and I replace it with every oil change.

Every now and then i remove it at the track to see if i can see a noticable difference in MPH. But there is really no difference....it seems a 2 degree drop in air temperature has a more significant impact on MPH (engine power) than pulling the filter.

To be fair, I have never run a K&N panel filter in my ute, but I can't see how it would make a difference if the paper filter is not already a restriction?

Stav, you can buy one of those gauges from here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DWYER-MINIHEL...QQcmdZViewItem

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGROMS

You are spot on actually. However this author is testing one particular car and draws a conclusion one th air filter for all cars.This is wrong.
If you look hard enough you will agree that in his test experiment the air box or shape of tubes were the restrictive component not the filter.

So based on the corrolla he was correct.He was not correct for all cars.
Old 30-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
buickman
buickman

Quote:
And we’ve seen the same story on everything from an Audi S4 to a Subaru Liberty RS to a Nissan Maxima V6 Turbo to a Commodore VL Turbo to
a....

He mentioned other makes as well in his above comment. I've used standed A/F, K&n & a large pod filter & the best I could gain was 2.2rwkw with a 3" mandrel intake with a stock filter. But the seat in the pants gain was with the 3" mandel & pod filter but never got around to dyno that comb. So I think the artical has some cred.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Ahem....http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#FACTS
http://www.knfilters.com/testmethod.htm
Old 30-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
That looks like a slightly more reliable way of testing.
Old 30-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #20
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A blocked or restricted air cleaner element can reduce engine power and increase fuel consumption - Gregory's Manual for the AUII/AUIII falcon
i think he was wrong about the dirty cleaner being the same as the new one
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post