Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2022, 01:26 AM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Electric Ford Transit - How will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ClevoUte View Post
All well and good, but there is no way the current infrastructure can support everyone in my street charging an EV overnight. We are already being asked not to overload the network on hot days and nights etc to prevent failure. We will all need to bankroll a massive network improvement.
Yep - that's how it's SUPPOSED to work, we pay taxes and the government provides infrastructure.

Except they sold it all to foreign interests who put nothing into the infrastructure and charge us up the *** to use our 100 year old third world power infrastructure.

I'm in two minds, I don't want to experience issues, but on the other hand I'm happy to sit in the dark for weeks on end, everyone's food to go off in their fridges, people having no heating or cooling and the shops to have no food so we can all reflect on our poor choices at elections that got us there.

There's nothing like paying the price for your own actions to send a message

If we've gotta do it all over again than it's imperative that infrastructure stays public owned this time.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2022, 07:31 AM   #62
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
It’s the way forward, I still think for local commuting a ev will be in my future, but for long distance ice will still be an option
Translation......PHEV ,best of both worlds for the short term future

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #63
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I live in rural Victoria and locally 2 huge service stations have been built and opened in the last couple of months. They both have large cafe/dining areas attached to them. One has a multi bay car wash as well.

Between them there is a total of ZERO charging stations. I find this extraordinary but a realistic indicator that ICE vehicles are here to stay.
Luckily the area is well covered by the one public 32kv charger.
Same in NZ , BP just built a new Connect site heading out of Tauranga big site truck stop out the back carwash etc I was expecting a whole row of chargers ......not a one ?, was really surprised because BP,s normally the more forward thinking to get together with other business especially the motorway developments

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #64
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ClevoUte View Post
All well and good, but there is no way the current infrastructure can support everyone in my street charging an EV overnight. We are already being asked not to overload the network on hot days and nights etc to prevent failure. We will all need to bankroll a massive network improvement.
There is a lot of work in the background happening, to fix things. Will they work, who knows.

The rollout of smart meter across Australia. The smart meter gives a lot more control in regards to power loads.

Also residential Demands tariffs.

Something called a DRED Switch will be installed in appliances for the future. It is currently only in Queensland but it is being looked at in other states and other appliances.

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/...rs-queensland/
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #65
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
There is a lot of work in the background happening, to fix things. Will they work, who knows.

The rollout of smart meter across Australia. The smart meter gives a lot more control in regards to power loads.

Also residential Demands tariffs.

Something called a DRED Switch will be installed in appliances for the future. It is currently only in Queensland but it is being looked at in other states and other appliances.

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/...rs-queensland/

Having the ability to turn off peoples appliances when the grid is overloaded is not "fixing" anything
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #66
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Having the ability to turn off peoples appliances when the grid is overloaded is not "fixing" anything
Yes and no. I run my AC 24/7. Do I need to? Probably not. I could wear some track pants and a jumper to be honest but I choose not to and happy to run the Aircon instead. That and my cats like the warm temperature inside.

Should I be allowed to run 24/7, probably not. If the network needs it, they should be able to kill it for a bit. OR I should be getting Solar and Batteries so I'm not dependent on the network (which is what I've done) and can do whatever I want.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2022, 02:11 PM   #67
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Yes and no. I run my AC 24/7. Do I need to? Probably not. I could wear some track pants and a jumper to be honest but I choose not to and happy to run the Aircon instead. That and my cats like the warm temperature inside.

Should I be allowed to run 24/7, probably not. If the network needs it, they should be able to kill it for a bit. OR I should be getting Solar and Batteries so I'm not dependent on the network (which is what I've done) and can do whatever I want.
Must be nice, must be very nice
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 15-09-2022, 02:16 PM   #68
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Must be nice, must be very nice
What I was suggesting is that I think a lot of us feel entitled with energy and similar. I think that this whole I should be able to do whatever I want, bugger the cost to anyone else or society isn't good. A more holistic view might see us change our view on what would be acceptable or not. We don't have infinite resources and have to stop living like we do.

Heck, even with all my solar and batteries, I still shouldn't be running the aircon 24/7. We should be exporting it back to the grid but they pay so little and I need to recover my costs or at least enjoy them. If they allowed me to feed back at the same rate as they charge me to supply, I'd be more than happy to pump it back into the grid... there is that egocentric view creeping in again.

Last edited by kypez; 15-09-2022 at 02:26 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #69
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What I was suggesting is that I think a lot of us feel entitled with energy and similar. I think that this whole I should be able to do whatever I want, bugger the cost to anyone else or society isn't good. A more holistic view might see us change our view on what would be acceptable or not. We don't have infinite resources and have to stop living like we do.

Heck, even with all my solar and batteries, I still shouldn't be running the aircon 24/7. We should be exporting it back to the grid but they pay so little and I need to recover my costs or at least enjoy them. If they allowed me to feed back at the same rate as they charge me to supply, I'd be more than happy to pump it back into the grid... there is that egocentric view creeping in again.
Yep..it's just plain robbery to sell at say 20-22c/kWhr and have a FIT of between 8-10c/kWhr while some are grandfathered at upto 60c/kWhr.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #70
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Yep..it's just plain robbery to sell at say 20-22c/kWhr and have a FIT of between 8-10c/kWhr while some are grandfathered at upto 60c/kWhr.
Yeah but I guess the power companies buy bulk power for a few cents,so they aren’t going to pay us very much
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #71
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm probably miss reading your last couple posts but I don't think most people feel entitled to energy, hell most I know are working there butts off just to pay the basic bills let alone even think about running the air con 24/7 as you do. My family wears warm clothing in the house and we try and run the heater a maximum of 2 hours a day and that's so the power bill isn't to high. Is it entitlement to expect that the electricity I'm paying for in those couple hours a day isn't cut off because the infrastructure can't cope?
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #72
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm probably miss reading your last couple posts but I don't think most people feel entitled to energy, hell most I know are working there butts off just to pay the basic bills let alone even think about running the air con 24/7 as you do. My family wears warm clothing in the house and we try and run the heater a maximum of 2 hours a day and that's so the power bill isn't to high. Is it entitlement to expect that the electricity I'm paying for in those couple hours a day isn't cut off because the infrastructure can't cope?
No. But I've seen so much waste especially with those with more coin. I know people who run their outdoor spa 24/7 just in case they want to jump in at any time. They can afford it. The cost isn't enough to deter them.

My comments aren't targeting the battlers who are probably doing the right things at the moment anyway.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #73
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
8-10 cents is a luxury and are typically offered by those who have higher tariffs anyway. The cheaper your tariffs, typically 5 cents is what you get for Feed in. Such a joke.
Old 15-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #74
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
8-10 cents is a luxury and are typically offered by those who have higher tariffs anyway. The cheaper your tariffs, typically 5 cents is what you get for Feed in. Such a joke.
Suppose that is how they work it we only have two suppliers,both on about 30 cents peak and 14c off peak.so we get 9 c from the biggest and 12c from the other
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #75
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm actually paying 20.88 and getting 8...or I did on last months bill.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #76
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm actually paying 20.88 and getting 8...or I did on last months bill.
I'm on time of day. 35 peak, 22 off peak (they got rid of shoulder last month) and 11 cents super off peak. Only get 5 cents solar.

Trick is, if it's going to be overcast, I charge my batteries up at 11 cents and use it through the day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk