Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Panel vans are essentially collectible now. Its weird being old enough to remember when they were mere work cars.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 29-11-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Panel vans are essentially collectible now. Its weird being old enough to remember when they were mere work cars.
I had a HX Sandman P van green 308 4sp.

Also a XC Falcon 5.8L 4sp GS wheels bonnet and grill extractors and dual exhaust stock engine gutless. some drugged up dude owned it before me.

I used them for work and play, wish I still had the HX van.

I still have the XC but it's under the ground now as a mate drove his dozer over it for me righting off his XY GT-HO into a power pole. he was the one who said into it back in 1982 and it just went side ways instantly and into a pole and a fence. he bought a HZ van all decked out not a work car at all but a 308 hotted up to much for a road car fuel, it just about wheel stand taking off, but cost him to much in engine repairs and killing T400 autos.
His van handled real well, but the XY they do not handle, I think I saved his life for sure getting rid of that XY.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post

So do I Mick, so do I.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Also a XC Falcon 5.8L 4sp GS wheels bonnet and grill extractors and dual exhaust stock engine gutless. some drugged up dude owned it before me.

I still have the XC but it's under the ground now as a mate drove his dozer over it for me righting off his XY GT-HO into a power pole. he was the one who said into it back in 1982 and it just went side ways instantly and into a pole and a fence. he bought a HZ van all decked out not a work car at all but a 308 hotted up to much for a road car fuel, it just about wheel stand taking off, but cost him to much in engine repairs and killing T400 autos.
His van handled real well, but the XY they do not handle, I think I saved his life for sure getting rid of that XY.
Please try and avoid saving my life
Thanks
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Please try and avoid saving my life
Thanks
It's the rear springs that are the problem, I would invest in getting them sorted best you can, they are a shocker, the ute and P van spring setup is so much better and I am sure something can be done to make the sedan rear much better.
Look at how good the AU utes handled with leaf springs.
My stock from new XG Longreach was fine you could drive it with complete control at all times.
XC van was fine as well.
A mate crashed in his XY 302 Fairmont real bad in 1979, if he only knew better how to set such a car up.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's the rear springs that are the problem, I would invest in getting them sorted best you can, they are a shocker, the ute and P van spring setup is so much better and I am sure something can be done to make the sedan rear much better.
My stock from new XG Longreach was fine you could drive it with complete control at all times.
XC van was fine as well.
A mate crashed in his XY 302 Fairmont real bad in 1979, if he only knew better how to set such a car up.
Yeah... Bathurst lap times woulda been much improved if they’d of raced superior handling utes or panel vans instead of Phase 111s with their crap rear suspension!
(And I thought I’d heard it all?.... what tripe!)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
XC van was fine as well.
Well there must be something wrong with my eyesight.Pretty sure that every pre XE sed I ever looked under had the same leaf spring rear suspension as the utes and panel vans,but according to Mick I got it all wrong.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well there must be something wrong with my eyesight.Pretty sure that every pre XE sed I ever looked under had the same leaf spring rear suspension as the utes and panel vans,but according to Mick I got it all wrong.
Looks the same to you does it, have a good look they are not at all the same in fact.

Even the GT HO rear spring is different to the normal sedan rear spring not to mention shocks valving.