Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

Looking at replacing my Scott CR1 Pro and looking for advice on going to electronic gear changing (Ultera Level or above)
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD View Post
Looking at replacing my Scott CR1 Pro and looking for advice on going to electronic gear changing (Ultera Level or above)
I have demo both SRAM and Shimano - both brilliant. As much as it hurts to say , I would at this stage stay away from Campagnolo regardless of price - there is a inherited fault with the front chain ring derailler.
It's important to understand moving away from your Scott CR1 Pro - you will want to move forward , so moving to electronic you will need to look at frame/drive train/wheelset and cock pit , etc at the upper end to get either close or below(preferably below) to your CR1 weight and ride.
I like the Scott Addict RC under 7kg with Dura Ace DI 2 and Carbon Disk wheelset.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was thinking Scott addict (non RC) SE. Which is the same as the addict 10 but with DI2 ,the addict RC is the racing version and the addict is endurance version as is the CR1,which I am more than happy with but the 10 x 2 running gear is getting hard to get the parts for.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was thinking Scott addict (non RC) SE. Which is the same as the addict 10 but with DI2 ,the addict RC is the racing version and the addict is endurance version as is the CR1,which I am more than happy with but the 10 x 2 running gear is getting hard to get the parts for.
If you weren't so keen on DI 2 , the Avanti Super Stores are selling a Avanti/Mech Dura Ace , etc for under $3,000. Worth a look

Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sold on DI 2 but if it is reliable over time (do 300 Plus Kms a week even in winter)may be the way to go or is good old cables still a lot more reliable! Had a good run out of the Scott so keen to stick to the brand as well.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

Di2 is pretty solid these days. About the only issue is getting a flat battery while out riding. Then you lose the ability to change gears. Not sure if they have a battery life indicator on them.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sold on DI 2 but if it is reliable over time (do 300 Plus Kms a week even in winter)may be the way to go or is good old cables still a lot more reliable! Had a good run out of the Scott so keen to stick to the brand as well.
Reliability isn't a issue. I have friends that do monster k's (500ks + on the road) and (200ks on dirt) without any problems. It's basically no different than charging your Garmin or Lights. Charge and off you go. Even in CX racing , I haven't heard of any reliability issues with either brand. If you can afford it and you're stepping up with your new purchase from where you stand now , then it's something you should do. However, as earlier stated don't go DI on a lesser frame and lesser built kit. Don't spend the money on new to go back wards. If your current bike is functional and it isn't in need of a complete re- build. Then stay with it until you can afford to step forward and up. Trust me new and shiny and easily forgotten when the ride is lesser than you have had