Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default clear vinyl

anyone protected their paint job with DIY clear vinyl
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
chrisc9
Starter Motor

Default Re: clear vinyl

Hi Tonz. Its not a DIY job, but I have had the nose and bonnet covered in the 3M clear vinyl which is marketed as a scratch and stone-chip protector. Its hard to pick from more than about 2 meters away, and so far has prevented any chips appearing. I do mainly country k's as well. My missus' corolla is about the same age and same number of k's, and it has heaps of chips. I'm glad I had it done, mate.
chrisc9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
anyone protected their paint job with DIY clear vinyl
I was looking for a colour matched vinyl earlier but didn't follow up.
For me, a couple of my vehicles are already stone chipped so clear wouldn't work.
I wonder how well it would protect ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Just bear in mind, that if you enjoy waxing your car, fitting clear vinyl protection will mean finding another pass time.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not on top of my list but I do enjoy it. just amount of country driving I do, stone chips are a costant pain, trying to eliminate them mainly
Old 01-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Clear vynal is sacrificial. You wreck the first one but save the paint and then replace it. Or atleast that's the idea. The vynal takes the stones but it's not a shield per say like a car bra but it will help resale when the car still has better paint then if it wasn't vynaled.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

If instead you decide on a car bra... You'll need something for the back.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yesterday I said nice things about you. now your a sick puppy
Old 01-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

The one down side is if you want to remove it, a difference in the coloration of the paint under it and that which wasn't covered can become more noticeable.

When I owned my panel beater and spray shop a regular customer came in with a used S2000 he had just purchased and wanted the vinyl removed. It was a red car. We warned him of the potential problem. He still wanted it off. We removed it. There was a noticeable difference. Not a big difference, but noticeable. He was happy the vinyl was gone and paid to have the front clip re-sprayed.

I hate spraying over factory paint unless there are absolutely no other options.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Here's a good video on how car protective films work and those that have self healing abilities.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you're going to clear vinyl use only good quality (read: expensive) vinyl.

I hate stone chips and as my car is used exclusively for our road trips (other than a weekly drive to Bunnings or wherever) I tried the cheaper stuff.

Basically the cheaper stuff doesn't stretch as easily (if at all) and is a bugger to install over edges, curves, etc.

In any event, I bought a car bra but because the VF2 bonnet is quite angular in places I cut the vinyl I previously bought into strips and install along bonnet, front bar ridges/edges (to prevent car bra rubbing).

Takes about an hour to do so I'm happy with that and after 20K kms of road trips there's not a mark on the car.

edit: After a couple of goes with the cheaper vinyl, I bought some 3m vinyl to do the mirror scalps - much easier to use than cheaper stuff

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't do the front only of your car.

If you want clear get the whole car done.

Also look at a hexis product called bodyfence.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
stock1991
Limited supply

I wouldn't do any of it, OK your going to get chips but that's better than wrapping the car in clear plastic imo
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

In my case I would like to vinyl colour match these top panels as I'm sick of repainting them on three trucks, bra wouldn't work as I would like signwriting to stand out, not to keen on a sign written bra.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post