Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 04-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
perthtx5
Starter Motor

Default fan switch/ac

Hi i am new to this site and have read quite a lot of problems that people have had with there telstars which will come in handy if they happen to me.
I currently have a problem with my 88 telstar tx5 ghia, when i switch fan on to position 1 or 2 the ac compressor kicks in but no fan speed, when I put it to 3 or 4 fan cuts in but ac compressor turns off. I pulled the unit out of dash thinking it may be worn connectors, there is six wires running into the fan speed box 1 for each speed ,earth & power i presume, there is power to possistion 3 & 4 but not 1 & 2. So i hope somebody might point me in the direction i should be looking as everything else seems to work like it should.
It also might be the fan motor itself but i cant find where the power for 1 & 2 comes from.
Cheers for any help!

perthtx5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Wink air con problems

maybe a gas leak in the air con system
or the switch needs replacing sent you a pm anyway
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
jonzo
Starter Motor

Default Similar Problem

Hey guys, I have a similar problem, I thought that by now you might have some insight into solving it.

My problem is that my fan was going perfectly well (I don't have a/c) then one day it just stopped working. I know that it's not the fan because I connected it directly to the battery and it goes well, I've checked all the fuses - they were fine, and I've had a look at the switch which didn't seem broken (worst comes to worst, I might just try putting in a new one, but I want to put it off for now).

My question is: Is there any other things in the heater/fan system that just die without warning? Someone mentioned a fan resistor that I might try to find... and I'm unsure about relays (there is a 'blower' relay and a 'cooling fan' relay, i'm unsure which is refering to the fan on the radiator, and which is the internal fan, and no idea how to test them).

So yeah! i'm pretty stumped. Any advice, suggestions, or even just random guesses much appreciated!

Cheers.
jonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

with the relays, swap them over to test them, the 'cooling fan' is for the radiator, I'm not sure about telstars but holden fan resistors go all the time.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
perthtx5
Starter Motor

Hi Jonzo i just had my fan speed switch fixed, the auto electrician replaced a faulty resistor, he put a second hand one in but he said new price was about $149 plus fitting.Not quite sure where the resistor goes but it has three plugs on one side and 4 elements on the other side (like a kettle element).

Hope it helps
perthtx5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
bmbentley
Starter Motor

on my oldies KF laser, 1 did not work then 2 didnt work, then 3 didnt work, then it worked again, now it doesnt, neither does 4.

this car does not have aircon.

another fault is the interior light, always blows bulbs if u leave it set on door.

ok car but plenty of minor faults
bmbentley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post