Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
tudor_01

Question Radio removal............Yeah Right!!!!

Ok..tried to remove the standard radio out of my AUII(dbl din). Tried with the proper tools and it did comeout on left but not the right........Seems to be jammed on the right side. Even took it to a Ford dealer and still the same.Any ideas on my best options to get around this. : I've got an aftermarket radio to put in so I suppose wrecking the radio could be an option..........

tudor_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

I tried for about 3 weeks before giving up and taking it to Autobahn.
Old 14-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Same here dude i tried for 3 days and would only come out on right but no left, what you should do is remove the ash tray and find underneath the radio and then with someones help get them to push it out while you use the keys and wiggle it out.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
tudor_01

Tried all that. Just seems as thou the right side is catching on something.....The tools do feel like they are locking in..........
tudor_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Get a screw driver and start levering it out.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was going to suggest a crowbar actually ... nearly used one on mine.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

On the right side where it is jamming, maybe try jamming a thick knife or thin flat-blade screwdriver in between the radio and the consol (right next to where u stick the radio remover/key tool in), then lightly pushing right on the screwdriver or whatever you use while using the key/tool, so the screwdriver is sorta forcing the radio to the left and pushing the console to the right lightlly to create a bit of a bigger gap on the right to allow the catch to release. just a suggestion . ?? gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

i used a chopped up coathanger, put the prongs in til they clicked, grabbed em and wiggled them with one hand, while my other reached under the ash tray and pust the radio out from behind.
Old 15-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
XR6Stu

ON this topic, does anyone know how to get the centre facia out of an AU1? As in the stereo surround, heater surounds etc?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
antilooped

GOD NO! forget the screwdriver and knife, sheesh that would butcher the surround.

I know your pain, i had the same problem, what is happening is, and once its out you will understand when you see it, but there is metal clips attached to the unit that bend out and clip into a metal frame inside the dash, the tools get in between the metal clip and metal frame, bend the metal clip toward the cd player and release it from the metal frame so you can just pull it out, what is happening with you is that the tool is not getting in between the clips and the bracket, but the clips and the cd player unit. What you need to do is get the left side free (you said that was easy) use the tools, put them in on as much angle as possible with the hooks pointing toward the front right of the car (facing the dash), then pull the other end of the tool hard over to the right, use your other hand to reach under the dash below the unit and push it hard left to right and forward over and over and keep moving the tool left to right until you reef it out. A butter knife can be used, but ur likely to snap it off in there and ull have the problem of getting that broken bit out before you proceed.
Other than this, i suggest autobarn, you can pay them to remove it (wont cost much) and if it breaks, its their problem!

Good luck mate
Old 15-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
ON this topic, does anyone know how to get the centre facia out of an AU1? As in the stereo surround, heater surounds etc?
Take the ashtray out (screws behind it to remove console), i think the headunit has to come out too and then its just clipped in all around the top..

I think this is right but i am thinking from memory after a dozen schooies at work :
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #12
antilooped

By the way, if you can avoid damaging the radio, do it, coz ull need it to sell with the car, or i have seen them go on ebay for a good price
Old 15-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lol , i meant do it carefully ! , no-one is gonna butcher their dash to get a radio out , the radio would get butched first if all else failed ) ..lol , something very thin flat and wide like a thickish narrow bbq scraper ( that sorta shape ) , the wider it is the less chace u got of damaging the consol , something thin would have a tendency to dig in becuse of the less support surface .. gl with it anyway.. i know ill have to face it soon when i eventually change the headunit in mine . )

Old 15-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
alpineau

Hi All

I tried for a week on and off to get the bloody thing out, I ended up taking the car to a local audio shop and getting them to remove it. It only cost $40 and it's worth it. Then installing the new head unit is a breeze.

The other good thing about getting someone else to remove it is as stated above if they break anything they fix it

Cheers
alpineau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
My AU

When I fixed my head unit, I took off the two anti-theft locking clips that lock it into the dash. It seems to fit in snugly and is not loose. Makes it easier for next time. I figured that being security coded it would not be a really hot item on the black market.
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Or the fact that it would be a b*rstard to put into anything else and that it probably works worse than whatever was there to begin with!?!
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah or how someone else mentioned in another thread how easy it is for theives to break into your car and change the barrel and wait for the car to learn the new barrel and key they have then drive it away, sounded like it was easier to do that than get the radio out ! ..lol - if only the car was as secure as the radio ..lmao .

Old 17-03-2006, 12:02 AM   #18
My AU

You guys are funny !!!
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post