Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Coil Pack Question

Hi All,

How would I know if the coil pack is playing up? What would be the symptoms?

Would a coil pack that is playing up effect the idle quality and cause a hesitation during take offs?

GK

GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Stampy

Mine only died in my XR6 lost 3 cyl and about $400 to fix it
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Im not to sure there mate - sorry , but have you checked all your sparkplugs and leads ? a faulty sparkplug/or wrong gap size could cause that problem too (you probably have but i thought i would just mention it anyway) , gl . ;)

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
oyob2003

I had a pack that failed once and it felt like I was runnung on four cylinders, if they go it will not seem like hesitation on take off or idle quality.........its like my doctor said to me once I cannot diagnose over the phone.
oyob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

wow... you got ripped off BIG TIME stampy...

mine was the same.. cost me $40 and a slab to get replaced!
geee....
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
wow... you got ripped off BIG TIME stampy...

mine was the same.. cost me $40 and a slab to get replaced!
geee....

Come on $40.00 my 3 leads cost more than that ,they were stuffed aswell
$400.00 to fix ,but thats Canberra for you ,and I had no time to shop around. :togo: ....Looks like im a sucker
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

They are 250+ trade sfr rob and a crapper of a job to fit..

I've seen a plethora(my word of the day) of symptoms from a dud coil pack.. A miss or flat spot you can't seem to tune out with the usual replacements is a sign of the coil pack dying
GK I take it you have done the standard fare of plugs and leads, check for vacuum leaks?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Im not to sure there mate - sorry , but have you checked all your sparkplugs and leads ? a faulty sparkplug/or wrong gap size could cause that problem too (you probably have but i thought i would just mention it anyway) , gl . ;)
Plugs and leads are ok, gaps are fine. I don't know how to check the coil packs though.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hahaha, i aint talking out the rectum either, thats the truth, i have my contacts ( dodgey old ford mechanic mate i see once every 5 years heheh ).

i swear it only cost me $40!!

GK, i hope you get to the bottom of the problem quick, i know what it is like!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
blue terra
au=gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Hi All,

How would I know if the coil pack is playing up? What would be the symptoms?

Would a coil pack that is playing up effect the idle quality and cause a hesitation during take offs?

GK
Had similar problem with mine. would hesitate and carry on when taking off. Check your ignition leads. this is an AU problem cos they runover the top of the motor which generates heat it can screw up the leads. an easy to check is to look for white dots on your leads. this is the spark coming through the lead or somethin. replaced mine with magnecor leads and fixed it.
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Coil pack for my *8 was $200 + each genuine$90 Bursons tradeshop a round if you need it................................
cheers Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #12
mattbl

I had to replace my coil pack 2 weeks ago :

It had been starting a little rough when cold but didn't think much of it. One night I jumped in and went to take off when there was massisve vibration throughout the car and power loss upon exceleration.
I suspected something major under the bonnet at the time, pulled over but all the fluids and gauges were fine, shaking like a mutha Fu*ker though. Suspected it had dropped a cylinder at the time.
Limped back home and started to look around. Did a spark test on each cylinder and yep it had no spark going into number 6. Leads were only 3 months old. Rang a mate of mine (mechanic) and he said coil pack for sure -common problem he says.

$223 for a new coil pack, fricken pain in the rectum to change over though even being only a couple of bolts (hard to get to spot).

Drives as smooth as a baby's behind now
Hope this helps

Cheers

Matt