Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Rexy74

Question squeaky brakes?

Does anyone with EB series 2 falcons have problems with what i think might be the brakes that squeak? My falcon seems to have this high pitched whistle or squeak when driving at low speed out of my driveway and gets faster when i put my foot down.

It is starting to drive me insane! it sounds like a canary is stuck in wheels! The car has 14 inch XF wheels with the holes in, so i'm thinking it could be the air rushing through the wheels making the sound, i was given a set of 4 15 inch EA snowflake rims that i was thinking of putting on the car but i don't want to throw out my speedo.

Any ideas anyone?

Rexy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I have an EB1 with the same porblem pretty sure there is a thread prior to this have a look through mate pretty sure there is something you can buy!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Make sure there are shims on the front calipers?

You should be able to see them when you take your wheel off. They are L-shaped and go under each end of the caliper on the Stub axle. If not or they are damaged, you can still buy them from a Ford dealer
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

ive got exactly the same problem rexy, same wheels too. how long ago did u get new brakes. cos the lady next door to me owns a new ba futura wagon, and they are squeaking too. my theory is, with new brake pads, like i have, they need de glazing after a while, well that is what i tell my self any way :(

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy74
Does anyone with EB series 2 falcons have problems with what i think might be the brakes that squeak? My falcon seems to have this high pitched whistle or squeak when driving at low speed out of my driveway and gets faster when i put my foot down.

It is starting to drive me insane! it sounds like a canary is stuck in wheels! The car has 14 inch XF wheels with the holes in, so I'm thinking it could be the air rushing through the wheels making the sound, i was given a set of 4 15 inch EA snowflake rims that i was thinking of putting on the car but i don't want to throw out my speedo.

Any ideas anyone?
We get this all the time at work. It is the pistons on the rear caliper that will most likely be the cause of the noise if not that it will be the sliders. How long since you had the brakes done? You my also find you might need new disc rotors. I have just done my wife's NC Fairlane because of the same thing it was last done June last year, and i no she is not heavy on the brakes.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

ive only had new pads for 5 months, and it only sounds to be out the back. they squeak when i put the brakes on, and also when im driving slowly, not good for cruising :(

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
BJ
Banned

Did you have the disc machined? or not at all.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Brake squeal is usually out of alignment calipers/pads or bad discs. But if it's a constant squeal then yeah it could quite possibly be a sticky piston. Also going form the 14" to 15" wheels is going to make stuff all difference to your speedo, i went from 15" rims with bald tyres to 17" rims with new tyres on the EL and it made a difference of about 1km/h (testing against my GPS).
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Take the brake pads out, clean all the dust and crap out of there with brake cleaner, and file the leading edges of the brake pads down slightly. Some brake pads are also prone to squeaking, you might need to look into new pads.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Dezza
Parts bin special

I'm also getting brake squeal, and I have plenty of pad. Mine is only when I brake, but not every time. It goes well with all the other squeaks and rattles my car has at the moment (at least the fan belt squeal is gone - I've finally tightened it)

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post