Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #31
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

It's not the best picture, but it should show you what I mean about the front of E-Series not being able to have a spigot on the adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E-Series_Hub.jpg (6.9 KB, 42 views)

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 02:40 AM   #32
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Why can't you use these on the front

It has the raised bit in the midle for the wheel to sit on, or does it need to be longer ?
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 AM   #33
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Where will the spigot go on the adaptor? The front hubs on E-series have long (sit out to the sides of the car) spigots, the backs are fine.

If the adapters were wide enough to fit over the standard hub and still have a spigot machined into them, they would be fine, but as someone said earlier, the wheels will be sticking out and rubbing on the guards.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #34
dansince86

whats a spigot :O

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #35
efgiar
rofl copter

tornado, u can get aftermarket wheels, that have the e-series offset..

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #36
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
You can't fit proper adapters to the front of e-series brakes though, I think thats another reason they are illegal.

EDIT - I know you can get adapters, but with the shape of the front hub, the adaptors won't have spigots on the front, so they are basically very expensive bolt-on spacers.
How do you figure they won't fit? I have removed a set from a friend's car. He had an EF that was running them for ages. He took them off when he bought it cause he didn't wanna get in trouble.

What do you mean by spigots?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #37
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Where will the spigot go on the adaptor? The front hubs on E-series have long (sit out to the sides of the car) spigots, the backs are fine.

If the adapters were wide enough to fit over the standard hub and still have a spigot machined into them, they would be fine, but as someone said earlier, the wheels will be sticking out and rubbing on the guards.
If by the spigot you mean, the centre of the hub that the wheel hangs on, it sits inside the adaptor. They look like they hang out a long way but they don't hang out that far. Trust me, it fits inside the adaptor, I have seen it.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #38
Jim5_0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could you just fit the AU front & rear ends so that the E series could accept the AU wheels?

I could not see the rear being a problem at all but I don't know whether you could fit the AU's front suspension arms & spindles up.
Jim5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #39
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5_0
Could you just fit the AU front & rear ends so that the E series could accept the AU wheels?

I could not see the rear being a problem at all but I don't know whether you could fit the AU's front suspension arms & spindles up.
Sure, as long as your also prepared to mount the AU alloy crossmembers, steering rack, brakes etc. Oh, and to do that you'll need to reposition and realign some of the locating dowels and bolts and the frame rails (were talking cutting and welding here). If your going to that trouble you may as well drop the whole front subassembly (incl. engine) out from underneath and refit the whole AU setup (incl engine).

E-series and AU-on have reversed balljoints, so it's not as easy as swapping over the uprights. The top arms will bolt up to the E-series car so the top isn't a problem but the lower AU A-arm needs matching mounts and thus the alloy crossmembers rather than the single arm and trailing link and the pressed steel K-frame.

Doable but not worth it just for wheels IMHO.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #40
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
not worth it just for wheels, but for wheels and good brakes ( brembo's) its definatley worth doing....

would need to get an engineers certificate for the conversion, though it wouldnt be hard to do it right...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #41
Jim5_0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

E-series and AU-on have reversed balljoints, so it's not as easy as swapping over the uprights. The top arms will bolt up to the E-series car so the top isn't a problem but the lower AU A-arm needs matching mounts and thus the alloy crossmembers rather than the single arm and trailing link and the pressed steel K-frame.

I knew about the reversed ball joints which is why I mentioned uprights and arms but have not looked at an AU's lower arms to see if you could get them to fit the E series K member.

Maybe when my EB engine finally cries enough I will buy a wrecked AU for the engine & give the suspension a try too.
Jim5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post