Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #181
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

i wouldn't like to bet on that , the numbers are against them it would seem , and the more they battle it out , the worse the brand name gets dragged through the mud .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #182
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Nope, i just googled DSG and read what it had to say about them. Thats when i realised that they werent an Automatic at all, but infact 2 manual gearboxes in 1.
Then when i considered how they are meant to work i understood what all the fuss was about and why they are doing what they are doing.

Time will tell, i think Ford will win this battle...lose the war, but win the battle.
Maybe you should read the first post on this page.

They are sold as an automatic.

Even you had to google it.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #183
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
No. Under the ACL, the supplier is not liable where the defect is caused by misuse. If Ford successfully proves on the balance of probabilities that the gearbox is not defective by design, but that the defects, if any, are caused by misuse of the gearbox, they are not liable under the ACL.

Those who think that this class action is a slam dunk case has another think coming.

It is also settled law that if one party rejects a settlement offer, and that party are not awarded damages greater than that settlement offer, that party will be liable for the costs of the action from the time that the settlement offer was rejected (or lapsed).
And I'll ask again, if you cannot drive the car sold to you as an automatic like an automatic then why weren't dealers telling prospective buyers this? That is deception, plain as day. They are advertising them as automatics and selling them as automatics. No where in advertising in print or TV does it say drivers will need to learn new driving styles.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #184
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity, how many defects do other auto makers who sell this kind of gear box get?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #185
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Maybe you should read the first post on this page.

They are sold as an automatic.

Even you had to google it.
They are an automatic, automatic clutch, thats it.

I googled it because i was curious as to what made them so special, i had already seen enough bad reports to see they were a problem.
When my wife bought her previous car we compared it to the equivalent Mondeo with powershift and upon researching them i kept the hell away.
At the time i didnt investigate firther as i took word of mouth, when i actually looked at them closer i understood how the box works and why it creates a problem for some owners.
I also understand that every man and his dog offloads them at the 100k mark when the warranty is up.

Im not saying its a good setup, just that i understand whats happening to cause all the grief.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #186
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are an automatic, automatic clutch, thats it.

I googled it because i was curious as to what made them so special, i had already seen enough bad reports to see they were a problem.
When my wife bought her previous car we compared it to the equivalent Mondeo with powershift and upon researching them i kept the hell away.
At the time i didnt investigate firther as i took word of mouth, when i actually looked at them closer i understood how the box works and why it creates a problem for some owners.
I also understand that every man and his dog offloads them at the 100k mark when the warranty is up.

Im not saying its a good setup, just that i understand whats happening to cause all the grief.
And that's why Ford are in trouble here.

If Ford marketed it as an automated manual and told people they had to change their driving styles two things would have happened.

Ford wouldn't be in this mess and nobody would have bought them in the first place.

They are not fit for purpose.

EDIT: I was referring to the first post on page 6. I think you got it.
My mistake.

XC Cobra #181.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 06-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #187
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
And that's why Ford are in trouble here.

If Ford marketed it as an automated manual and told people they had to change their driving styles two things would have happened.

Ford wouldn't be in this mess and nobody would have bought them in the first place.

They are not fit for purpose.

EDIT: I was referring to the first post on page 6. I think you got it.
My mistake.
And it took me 5 minutes to research the way they should be driven to see where the problem is and why only certain vehicles suffer and why inner city drivers discover it earlier.
Its all in the creep, just as you would burn out a clutch in a manual if you rode it for 20,000k's, so too do users of this gearbox when they drive it like a conventional auto.

We recently bought a CVT powered vehicle, as i've never had experience with a CVT transmission before i googled them and discovered that they are best used like a centrifical clutch in a scooter etc. Just squeeze the throttle and they wind up, no flares between gears etc.
I explained their operation to the wife and with a little adjustment she loves it.

So there it is, if i'd just bought the thing and driven it home i'd probably be complaining that it doesnt drive like a conventional auto, but i didnt, it was new to me so i researched it.
Same as the DSG, when first presented with it i wouild have researched it to see what it was all about, realised it wasnt your run of the mill torque convertor auto and adjusted accordingly, the info is out there if you chose to look.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #188
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only one thing to say to a statement like that ......B####sh#t.......the box has many more problems than the one you "googled".......do you think you are the only one to study up on why the box is buggerising around......sorry but you are a couple of years out of date.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #189
prydey
Rob

Quote:
.. snip...Mondeo with powershift and upon researching them i kept the hell away..snip...
off topic, but mondeo powershift is a wet clutch 'box and is awesome. focus/fiesta etc is dry clutch, and shouldn't be confused with the wet clutch version.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #190
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bit of light reading

http://www.motoring.com.au/volkswage...sg-cars-37051/

http://www.just-auto.com/news/ford-f..._id162848.aspx

plenty more about the boxes problems which is far more involved than just a simple clutch slippage

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #191
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
off topic, but mondeo powershift is a wet clutch 'box and is awesome. focus/fiesta etc is dry clutch, and shouldn't be confused with the wet clutch version.
Totally correct Prydey, and had i looked closer at the concept i would have discovered that and considered further when we bought the Sportivo, but i read all the negative stuff and used caution.

It wasnt until i looked into them further that i realised why the dry clutch box is problematic.
Things like the shudder can be contributed to worn clutches and the resultant dust build up, the worn clutches the result of the small clutches engaging and releasing as the car creeps forward in heavy traffic, the clunking and loss of gears the result of the box trying to work out what the driver wants from it and jumping between shafts as it shifts up and down every few seconds.
They are worn out from incorrect use the same way a normal manual would be if the clutch was ridden to the studs and then continued to be driven without it.

People can make their own minds up and throw their hat in the ring if they want to take Ford on, but i dont think they will be successful, imo.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #192
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
bit of light reading

http://www.motoring.com.au/volkswage...sg-cars-37051/

http://www.just-auto.com/news/ford-f..._id162848.aspx

plenty more about the boxes problems which is far more involved than just a simple clutch slippage
Poppa, the reason the control module and seals fail is due to heat, the boxes get hot due to the clutches slipping, the clutches slip because they are worn out, the clutches are worn out because...

Oh, and maybe calm down, just because you dont agree doesnt mean im wrong even when you swear to get your point across.
It is my opinion and im entitled to it, you dont have to read it or give it any credit but it is what it is.

Last edited by BENT_8; 06-07-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #193
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see your point, I really can. But I strongly believe by not informing buyers of the need to change the way you drive to avoid damage prior to purchase is deceptive. Many wouldn't have bought them if they knew.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #194
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
And it took me 5 minutes to research the way they should be driven to see where the problem is and why only certain vehicles suffer and why inner city drivers discover it earlier.
Its all in the creep, just as you would burn out a clutch in a manual if you rode it for 20,000k's, so too do users of this gearbox when they drive it like a conventional auto.

We recently bought a CVT powered vehicle, as i've never had experience with a CVT transmission before i googled them and discovered that they are best used like a centrifical clutch in a scooter etc. Just squeeze the throttle and they wind up, no flares between gears etc.
I explained their operation to the wife and with a little adjustment she loves it.

So there it is, if i'd just bought the thing and driven it home i'd probably be complaining that it doesnt drive like a conventional auto, but i didnt, it was new to me so i researched it.
Same as the DSG, when first presented with it i wouild have researched it to see what it was all about, realised it wasnt your run of the mill torque convertor auto and adjusted accordingly, the info is out there if you chose to look.
Happy in your own little make believe world are you ?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #195
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Happy in your own little make believe world are you ?
I will be when this gets thrown out.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #196
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Poppa, the reason the control module and seals fail is due to heat, the boxes get hot due to the clutches slipping, the clutches slip because they are worn out, the clutches are worn out because...

Oh, and maybe calm down, just because you dont agree doesnt mean im wrong even when you swear to get your point across.
It is my opinion and im entitled to it, you dont have to read it or give it any credit but it is what it is.
I'm as calm as newborn puppy........I have had these talks many times with the Ford mob, those in the know agree, and now, reluctantly so is Ford, you have your opinion and it must be corrected, reading about it and owning one are vastly different things

the clutches are not slipping, I am not going into detail AGAIN as to what it is doing, suffice to say the box is simply not fit for purpose (city driving) the box has many problems which are very widely known.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #197
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Out of curiosity, how many defects do other auto makers who sell this kind of gear box get?
VW was (prob still is) getting serious issues. They did nothing in oz till they were getting some real bad publicity.....while they were doing something about it in other markets. Unfortunetley in oz the law is weak when it comes to cars.

Proper lemon laws do need to be in place. Otherwise car manufactures will get away with it here. I actually agree with BENT 8 that they will win the case....but its because your already on the backfoot when fighting the car manufactures.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #198
adumb
FG G6ET

Is there two issues at play here?
Genuinely faulty gearboxes and people who just don't like/didn't expect how a DSG drives?

I've got a 7 speed VW DSG and it drives differently to my 6 speed ZF, but then thats also different to my old 4 speed BTR.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #199
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The problem is more likely faulty gearboxes, not the design imo. If the design was wrong they would all be stuffed?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #200
prydey
Rob

anyone have any idea of an accurate pecentage of Focus' that have this issue?

Forums are never an accurate read on the true situation. like the 'milkshake' issue with falcons, whilst it may appear widespread, is probably closer to being about 2-5% of cars affected.

I see plenty of Focuses driving around, and since 2011 when this issue supposedly started, i've not once seen one driving 'oddly' etc. i'm not saying there aren't issues there, but some people seem to be making out they are braking down with such regularity they are stranded on every street corner.

hopefully those who do have issues get some sort of resolution they are happy with. Ford have offered those affected extended 5yr/160000km warranty so thats something i guess.

with the latest focus it was obviously cheaper to go back to a conventional auto rather than fit the wet clutch version already found in diesel models.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #201
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The problem is more likely faulty gearboxes, not the design imo. If the design was wrong they would all be stuffed?
If the design was not faulty, there would be no problems at all with the dsg gearboxes.

They should be designed for all intended operating environments. City, stop/crawl/start congested freeway traffic, and country driving.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #202
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
anyone have any idea of an accurate pecentage of Focus' that have this issue?

Forums are never an accurate read on the true situation. like the 'milkshake' issue with falcons, whilst it may appear widespread, is probably closer to being about 2-5% of cars affected.

I see plenty of Focuses driving around, and since 2011 when this issue supposedly started, i've not once seen one driving 'oddly' etc. i'm not saying there aren't issues there, but some people seem to be making out they are braking down with such regularity they are stranded on every street corner.

hopefully those who do have issues get some sort of resolution they are happy with. Ford have offered those affected extended 5yr/160000km warranty so thats something i guess.

with the latest focus it was obviously cheaper to go back to a conventional auto rather than fit the wet clutch version already found in diesel models.
Prydey, my thoughts:

Manual Focus - lovely car.

Powershift - spoils what is otherwise a lovely little car.

The majority of those who say it's a driver style issue obviously haven't owned one and lived with it.

The sales pitch is that it is an automatic - I wouldn't say that's deception, I just don't think the sales people know any better.

Once you take it back, the service people will tell you it's not an automatic but an automated manual and you get told things like accelerate uniformly, don't accelerate then take pressure off the accelerator, try not to crawl in traffic. I mean, a proper automatic can handle that day in-day out.

I feel really sorry for the service guys at Sinclair Ford; of all the Fords we've had from them the Focus is the only one we've complained about.

The dry plate clutch exacerbates the problem.

With the current situation we'll just hold on to it and see how it pans out. I believe there will be a resolution in favour of owners.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #203
Strange1

It seems a bit odd if the boxes aren't designed for creeping in traffic for them to be fitted to the Fiestas and EcoSports which are designed for city life.
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #204
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Prydey, my thoughts:

my wife currently has a LS Focus, and I'd always thought at some point I'd upgrade it...

I guess the smart thing to do would be to buy a manual or a diesel, as the diesel uses the wet clutch version.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #205
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
my wife currently has a LS Focus, and I'd always thought at some point I'd upgrade it...

I guess the smart thing to do would be to buy a manual or a diesel, as the diesel uses the wet clutch version.
Or the LZ with EcoBoost and conventional 6 speed auto. That combo is quite pokey.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #206
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
If the design was not faulty, there would be no problems at all with the dsg gearboxes.

They should be designed for all intended operating environments. City, stop/crawl/start congested freeway traffic, and country driving.
i suspect , some of these cars dont do a lot of miles , and possibly some actually have the problem , but owners just believe its within tolerance , or just are not even aware that the vehicle is driving poorly , and are bound to end up in a workshop at some stage down the track .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #207
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Prydey, my thoughts:

The majority of those who say it's a driver style issue obviously haven't owned one and lived with it.

The sales pitch is that it is an automatic - I wouldn't say that's deception, I just don't think the sales people know any better.

Once you take it back, the service people will tell you it's not an automatic but an automated manual and you get told things like accelerate uniformly, don't accelerate then take pressure off the accelerator, try not to crawl in traffic. I mean, a proper automatic can handle that day in-day out.

I feel really sorry for the service guys at Sinclair Ford; of all the Fords we've had from them the Focus is the only one we've complained about.

The dry plate clutch exacerbates the problem.

With the current situation we'll just hold on to it and see how it pans out. I believe there will be a resolution in favour of owners.

this in spades........the vehicle in itself is a terrific little car and ideally suited for city driving....but with the box in its current configuration makes for a very painful drive.

I took the little feller for a drive last night and I must say since the last update the box is performing a lot better but it still has a lot of issues.

Ford "service" does not help.

damn shame......kills a fantastic little car.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #208
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does the update do Poppa?

I believe they can have trouble being in the wrong gear sometimes?

XC Cobra #181.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #209
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mums was replaced less than 3000km's ago and has already shuddered. Fan bloody tastic.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #210
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What does the update do Poppa?

I believe they can have trouble being in the wrong gear sometimes?
well I am not 100% sure but it has to do with the "chip/computer" that is inside the trans itself.

when Mr's smurf returns I will post the actual update number so others can make sure they have it.

but apparently it tries to solve the "undecided" part of the gear selection and makes a downshift faster and more reliable.

as it is now (worse before) one of the problems was that the box would assume that if you are in say 4th then the next gear would logically be fifth but then if you slow for any reason without coming to a complete stop the box would not shift back but instead try and hold fourth ready to swap to fifth.

this was the way it was explained to me by one of the "good mechanics" who used to work at Ford.

the update solves this somehow....by the gods of voodoo and witchcraft.

however it does not solve the shuddering, surging forward or sudden speeding up nor the death rattle from deep within the box.

like many others we will await the outcome of proceedings to decide the way forward, it is not worth selling at this point.