Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Post your Dash Cam footage - Falcon almost takes me out!

Love to see what other members have captured on their dash cams.

The near misses or accidents you've had, other drivers doing silly things on the road or other interesting video you've recorded in your travels.

Please only post your personal video footage you or your family have recorded in your cars, not links to the thousands of other videos captured by other people please.

I'll kick off with footage of a young female driver that almost took me out in her Falcon just the other day in the rain;

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 29-05-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Added hotlink
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
tonys6550

Default Re: Post your Dash Cam footage - Falcon almost takes me out!

That was very odd

The quality of the footage is excellent, may I ask what brand and model of crash cam you have installed in your vehicle?
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

looked like the back left locked up?? maybe mistook the handbrake for gearshift
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

No Sound - I would have like to have heard the laughter.

It makes me wonder what condition the rear tyres were in and such a slow slide the driver couldn't control.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
That was very odd

The quality of the footage is excellent, may I ask what brand and model of crash cam you have installed in your vehicle?
I have two identical Dash cams installed in my car.
One mounted on the front on a "Go-Pro bicycle bar mount" attached to the rear vision mirror (don't like suction caps on the windscreen) and the other mounted on at the very top and in the centre on the rear window on a custom made bracket that goes between the car roof and headliner.

After doing a lot of research on dash cam forums and reviews, I found that dash cams that incorporate the "G1WH Novatek 96650 chipset" (which is used in a number of generic brands), provided the clearest HD video at the best price.

They cost me $70 each from eBay, and I have a Sandisk high speed 32GB SD card in each which allows continuous recording for over 3 hours in full 1080P HD video. The have never let me down and turn on and off automatically when you start and turn off the engine.

4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
looked like the back left locked up?? maybe mistook the handbrake for gearshift
Yeh looks like she slipped the handbrake on for a second? Intentionally or accidentally? Really weird
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
Love to see what other members have captured on their dash cams.

The near misses or accidents you've had, other drivers doing silly things on the road or other interesting video you've recorded in your travels.

Please only post your personal video footage you or your family have recorded in your cars, not links to the thousands of other videos captured by other people please.

I'll kick off with footage of a young female driver that almost took me out in her Falcon just the other day in the rain;

https://youtu.be/zfugFuj7dgM
What the...

How did that even happen. It doesn't make any sense. She wasn't turning, no sudden moves, brake lights indicate that she wasn't braking at all, so how did she manage to lock up the rear wheels? I mean it doesn't look like handbrake because from the way the car turned it was the left rear that locked more than the right wheel did, hence turning it in. How cold was it? Cause the only explanation I can think of was she either hit some ice or something with the rear right causing it to spin and the left to look like it slowed down (doesn't look like it's locking completely) because the car's got an open diff. Or considering the way the car bounced a bit she might've hit a uneven patch in the road. Either way, looks like the rear right lost traction for some reason, can't really blame her for it.

That'll be the official mediocre verdict from your impromptu internet qualified detective Qwerty. You're welcome fellas

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't have enough memory on my computer to save all the idiots I have caught on cam over the past few years.
Funniest thing I have caught was when too many vehicles including two buses entered a 5 way roundabout at once and all had to come to a complete stop. They all started moving up closer to the vehicle in front to make some room but the situation only cleared when someone drove up onto the middle of the roundabout. No idea how they managed that but it was entertaining to see.
I might try to post it on here when I get home
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smart idea to quickly get by the car once you got moving again.

Also agree, that is crystal clear video footage. No potatoes here.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I just purchased this one from Aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-...f-126f4b8d4c07

$70 something which included a 32gb card.

I have bought a few things from this company, postage is free and delivery slow but goods I have purchased have been as described.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 01:59 AM   #11
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Crappy tyres! Nothing else to blame for that spin. You can see the car understeer between 05-08sec. Then he/she puts the foot down, gear changes/downshifts, and spin.

People don't realise how important tyres are. Cheap out on crappy and/or old tyres to save a few bucks. They should bring in a law to stop cars having tyres older than 5 years put on. The date is on every tyre. Just because a tyre has plenty of thread depth does not mean they are good, or even roadworthy. And since a RWC is primarily a safety check, tyres older than 4-5 years should be made illegal.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Been thinking about getting a couple of these cameras. Thanks for the links. Just gotta work out how to install without using the cigarette lighter socket. Nice footage of that falcon too. Weird how it spun.

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Got a link to your camera BAXRSIX?

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #14
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxg View Post
Crappy tyres! Nothing else to blame for that spin. You can see the car understeer between 05-08sec. Then he/she puts the foot down, gear changes/downshifts, and spin.

People don't realise how important tyres are. Cheap out on crappy and/or old tyres to save a few bucks. They should bring in a law to stop cars having tyres older than 5 years put on. The date is on every tyre. Just because a tyre has plenty of thread depth does not mean they are good, or even roadworthy. And since a RWC is primarily a safety check, tyres older than 4-5 years should be made illegal.
I just got rid of a set of Falkens which were less than 5 years old (from purchase) plenty of tread, but could easily got me in a situation like this.. downright dangerous in the wet.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Definitely bald tyres. That's one of my favourite bits of road, in peak hour it's a real doozy. I'd post a few but I have too many. I'll have a look through the collection.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Can you please post pics of how you have mounted the cameras?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
On the plus side, the Territory rims quite suit that car - nearly as good as the Territory in pic with the same rims.

Also the irony of the merge sign - pretty sure it means to merge from the left, not go to go from right to left and back again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Random_TractionLoss.jpg (120.1 KB, 50 views)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 29-05-2016 at 11:06 AM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Definitely bald tyres. That's one of my favourite bits of road, in peak hour it's a real doozy. I'd post a few but I have too many. I'll have a look through the collection.
Thanks for editing my post and adding the hotlink. I tried for ages inserting the Youtube link between the red "Tube" button tags at the right top of the new message editor, but when I previewed the post, it just showed a black box with no Youtube thumbnail and when I hit the play button in it, it just returned an error... I thought maybe only moderators had the rights to embed video or something?

Yes, I live close to the ring road, and unfortunately need to use it everyday. Almost every second day you'll see an accident or someone doing something silly on that road. It's a very dangerous road IMO, especially with all the trucks that use it. In peak hour, I hate the lanes that merge towards the Greensborough end and people who speed up and cut in at the last minute!

I like your dash cam footage you posted with the motor cycle rider almost getting collected at that roundabout! That was a close call!

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 29-05-2016 at 12:44 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yeh there are a few crackers - re-installing windows at the moment so I'll look after that. With YouTube, just put the weird code bit in the YT tags.. not the URL. Each video has a strange upper and lowercase signifier in its URL, just use that bit. Took me a while to figure it out too.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Yeh there are a few crackers - re-installing windows at the moment so I'll look after that. With YouTube, just put the weird code bit in the YT tags.. not the URL. Each video has a strange upper and lowercase signifier in its URL, just use that bit. Took me a while to figure it out too.
Excellent advice... thanks so much!
Old 29-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #21
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Some footage of mine while driving a bus full of school kids.

All the on-screen action happens in the first 10 seconds, but at the 2.30ish mark, you hear some moron in the lane on my left toot at me, as he thinks I'm too close to his car as he tries to sneak past, though you can clearly see I'm completely within my lane on the camera.

Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #22
QIKESP

Gee, those tyres had no grip or the vtec must have just kicked in

That's a slippery bit of road at the best of times, the exit off the ring road on to Greensborough Rd is nasty as well. Doesn't help once it rains with the trucks spilling diesel as they go around the bends.
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
Can you please post pics of how you have mounted the cameras?
Here you go...

Front dash cam on "Go-Pro bicycle bar mount" from rear vision mirror

Rear window dash cam mounted on custom bracket below ....

Old 29-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Here..............

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336424