Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Unhappy annoying EL - help needed

Well i'm not to far away from chucking in the towel, this year has been the pits for this car, it's just one thing after another, but now i'm stuck and don't know what to do.

Over the last week the car has begun hesitating when accelerated hard, down low in the rev range she idles and drives nice and smooth, try and put your foot in a bit and it's like she chokes, coughs and then gets over it and goes.

Have also noticed a slight popping sound, although that has ceased since I cleaned the air filter on the weekend. Once more I find myself stumped.

To recap...

- The Problem -

Car is sluggish(almost like a stutter which you feel through the car) when pushed hard into the high rev range, after which it reponds fine (once it's covered some ground).

No problems when taking off like a grandma, no problems when reving the car in neuteral.

- The Car -

1997 EL Falcon GLi
150,237 on the clock
4 Speed Auto, I6

- What's been looked at/replaced/cleaned already -

Air Filter - Cleaned
Oil/Oil Filter Changed in last 24 hours - no difference
No oil leaks visible
No water leaks visible
No smoke/steam of any color
Fuel economy still in the same ball park as usual (a lil lower, but to be suspected after pushing it around a bit, still over 500km's a tank)

Buggered as to what it could be, injectors were cleaned at 113,000, though I would have thought if they were blocked I would loose fuel economy... any ideas people???

Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

a/f ratio? map, maf, O2 sensors etc, all could be problems

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I'd replace the fuel filter next up, and if you are able to try a different fuel pump in there it wouldn't hurt...
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take it to Ford and get them to run their computer over it, it could also be the ECM
Old 27-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
I'd replace the fuel filter next up, and if you are able to try a different fuel pump in there it wouldn't hurt...
I had wondered about the fuel filter, and also the computer check from ford.

Two questions -

1. How do I go about replacing the fuel filter and what's the price of a new fuel filter?

2. How much does it cost to get ford to run their computer over it and get the error codes (if any)? Also, will the error codes indicate if any of the sensors are gone, ie, o2 etc etc
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Plugs
Old 27-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

dissy cap.... or coil.. sounds like spark breaking down
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Vic
5.6L of carbon footprint

Could be TPS related. Could also be leads or fuel related. Check rotor button in the dizzy and see if it's still intact or not.
Old 27-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
dissy cap.... or coil.. sounds like spark breaking down
ignition coil was replaced a month ago, the reason i'm ruling the ignition system out is that it's only in high rev range under load. The rest of the time she is a smooth as the day I bought her throughout the rev range.
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Plugs
Old 27-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Vic
5.6L of carbon footprint

Check spark and leads. I've had leads breakdown under load before... it's not uncommon.
Old 27-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Fuel filter $20-$30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

what's the easiest way to replace the fuel filter? May be a dumb *** questin, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake!
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Plugs
Old 27-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiS
what's the easiest way to replace the fuel filter? May be a dumb *** questin, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake!
Open the boot, disconnect fuel sender and pump connector. (underneath carpet on left hand side).

Start engine and let it run the fuel lines dry. Jack rear of car up and put chassis stands under it. Get under left side and look directly underneath where the rear left passenger sits - the cylindrical thing is your fuel filter. Slowly unscrew the unions (there will still be fuel in it, possibly with a little pressure) and pop the filter out. Put seals into new filter (if it comes with them) and pop it into the holder. Tighten the unions to the specified number of turns. Lower car.
Reconnect fuel sender and pump. Close boot. Start car, run for a few minutes at idle and then check for leaks. If no leaks take car for a drive then recheck for leaks. If no leaks now you should be right.

If in doubt get someone else to do it .
Old 27-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Open the boot, disconnect fuel sender and pump connector. (underneath carpet on left hand side).

Start engine and let it run the fuel lines dry. Jack rear of car up and put chassis stands under it. Get under left side and look directly underneath where the rear left passenger sits - the cylindrical thing is your fuel filter. Slowly unscrew the unions (there will still be fuel in it, possibly with a little pressure) and pop the filter out. Put seals into new filter (if it comes with them) and pop it into the holder. Tighten the unions to the specified number of turns. Lower car.
Reconnect fuel sender and pump. Close boot. Start car, run for a few minutes at idle and then check for leaks. If no leaks take car for a drive then recheck for leaks. If no leaks now you should be right.

If in doubt get someone else to do it .
That's an awesome description, thanks!
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Plugs
Old 27-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #14
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
ignition coil was replaced a month ago, the reason i'm ruling the ignition system out is that it's only in high rev range under load. The rest of the time she is a smooth as the day I bought her throughout the rev range.
mis-firing etc high in the rev range under load is almost always caused by an ignition problem. Theres more to an ignition system than a coil.

If it was the fuel filter, it would be pinging hardcore before it leans out enough to stutter.

[Edit] - Have you pulled a spark plug out to see if they are ok?

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
Check spark and leads. I've had leads breakdown under load before... it's not uncommon.
I'd do the same, my EL Ghia was running like a bucket of balls under load, especially up hills back in the day, felt like the transmission slipping hard, ended up the coil lead and 2 or 3 of the plug leads shagged themselves. Once again, was fine under normal acceleration. Check it out.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
I'd do the same, my EL Ghia was running like a bucket of balls under load, especially up hills back in the day, felt like the transmission slipping hard, ended up the coil lead and 2 or 3 of the plug leads shagged themselves. Once again, was fine under normal acceleration. Check it out.
Ok this sound exactly like my problem, and I had a more severe but similar symptom with my old magna, and that was the leads.

Now, here comes my dumb question. I have noticed the leads run under the throttle body, and the dizzy is nicely hidden away, what is the ebst way to get to the leads and dizzy? I've had to remove the throttle cable etc beofre for the rocker cover gasket, however never had to remove the throttle body its self, is this the case? Think I may need to eventually invest in a workshop manual, all I do is work ont his car! But yeah again all advice is really appreciated!
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Plugs
Old 28-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
BABOSS

Iv'e got the coil pack but i think the dizzy is located in the same place EF-EL, if it is under the throttle body do it from underneath the car whilst it is jacked up, it's a ***** of a job as it's hard to get to which was made possible by the designers at Ford (Nice one guys :the_finge ) Should not have too much trouble slipping your hand in there.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post