Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-03-2016, 03:35 AM   #31
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Inventions, anyone here ever come up with one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
I invented masturbation back when I was 12 (44 now).

I've been working on perfecting it ever since.

Don’t ever give up, eventually you’ll pull it off.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #32
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dudes, I know we have tried hard to invent things, and I actually was trying hard until my ex reckoned I was inventing drugs instead of plastic telescope mirrors in the shed.
I even went so far as to talk to a patent lawyer. Manufacturing a glass telescope mirror takes many hours (weeks) of grinding and polishing. Imagine being able to cast a mirror in a couple of days. That was my intention. Pretty good stuff. With my rough product, I could faintly make out craters on the Moon.
Divorce etc, end of experiment.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #33
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Im still waiting for chep to invent pallets that are up to australian standards
Useless dicks
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #34
rijruna

Gday again,
I have sat back & watched replies via my phone from which no posting is done. That said, from near shy of denigrating to humourus, either way, thanks for them & no, I wont be wanting anyones $, nothing.
As someone said, 'be carefull who you tell', very very true. It only took 4 yrs before I had cheap & nasty knock-offs appear for the worksafe one.
Today was big. The money men are still go for production as soon as possible, legal paper-work done for the patent, injection moulds made. Basicly, paperwork is pretty expensive, injection dies are the same, both can be done quickly tho.
Again, thanks for your thoughts, tounge-in-cheek or just being a douche, at least I get to know how others think when a serious question is presented.
cheers
rij .
rijruna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #35
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijruna View Post
Gday again,
I have sat back & watched replies via my phone from which no posting is done. That said, from near shy of denigrating to humourus, either way, thanks for them & no, I wont be wanting anyones $, nothing.
As someone said, 'be carefull who you tell', very very true. It only took 4 yrs before I had cheap & nasty knock-offs appear for the worksafe one.
Today was big. The money men are still go for production as soon as possible, legal paper-work done for the patent, injection moulds made. Basicly, paperwork is pretty expensive, injection dies are the same, both can be done quickly tho.
Again, thanks for your thoughts, tounge-in-cheek or just being a douche, at least I get to know how others think when a serious question is presented.
cheers
rij .
Well the responses will depend on the question
Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #36
blackwasp

Quote:
Gday again,
cheers
rij .
mate what did you invent that was used at boeing aerospace ( is the name btw).
i worked there for years ,finished up in 2013 , i'm interested what it was.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #37
rijruna

Blackwasp, my original idea was for glass & sheet steel edge protection against chips & cutting actions. Beoing bought them to use in their carbon-firbe composites area. They were throwing out a lot of very expensive pieces because of a slight nick on the edge & my product fitted the purpose.
Thanks for the question
cheers
Old 04-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #38
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

A mate has an idea for a product that would be huge. It would literally replace the current market version of the item in question. He's in talks with a major auto-electrical manufacturer about licensing it.

I too have an idea for a product for the 4wd market, but which could potentially also make its way into the automotive world at large because it would be useful for many applications (mostly motorsport related). I just need to get off my butt and make a prototype.

You don't have to invent something radical, like a laser that can read music off a plastic disc. It simply has to be something that a large audience finds useful, or desirable. Stick family stickers may not qualify as an invention, but they made someone an awful lot of money.

A good example is the little plastic cross that tilers use to accurately set each tile. Simple, stupidly cheap to manufacture, and sells zillions every year. Someone invented that... and never worked a day again.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #39
blackwasp

Quote:
Blackwasp, my original idea was for glass & sheet steel edge protection against chips & cutting actions. Beoing bought them to use in their carbon-firbe composites area. They were throwing out a lot of very expensive pieces because of a slight nick on the edge & my product fitted the purpose.
Thanks for the question
cheers
interesting ! must've been at the port melbourne plant because i didn't see anything like that bankstown in sydney.
cheers
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #40
rijruna

Yes Blackwasp, it was Port Melb plant, sold them a quite a few, but certainly not enough to retire on by any means.
Update time.
I had my important meeting & came away with a very strong feeling that they cant get it happening fast enough.. A CNC will make a die of this size in pretty quick time, so multiple cavity dies are the way it has to be. The majority of $$ they have told me is their input will be mostly for die making & consumables for the first run with legals not-so much, registration for patent isnt all that much. Its the scope of cover that costs. The wider the coverage of countries, with each country having a min of $1750+/yr for the first few years, it gets expensive; fast, but the first registration fee also covers you for a certain time legally. except for europe which gives you 17 countries for a single cost of under $2000. But it adds up. Do you cover countries that who have a national aim of stealing any idea, good, bad, or indifferent to the merits the idea may have? Or do you target the end-user countries? Because not all countries will ever hear of it. So, careful selection is needed.
There are only slight changes needed for it to be a perfect design compared to my original hand-made proto-types. One which is fast & simple to do.
The hardest thing to do is to keep the info/files safe & should be the first rule you follow.
ATM, there are only 2 places this data exists.
The kicker, they tried to get me to agree to something that wont happen, until there is a legally binding document which involves me posting up the files to a dropbox account, noway at all is that going to happen. I take my security seriously, with a 9character password with 3 attempts before a long break to try again. So, me even considering no paperwork is ludicrous for something they would like to have in-use right now, wouldnt you think?
There-in gives you an idea of what can be a mine-field; but lucky I am aware of a lot [but not all I`m sure] of the pit-falls that can show their ugly face.
Cheers
Rij
Old 06-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i dont want to rub you the wrong way mate ....... but i think others may have tried that before you .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #42
Jess1992

Quote:

Do you need a hand? ;)
Jess1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #43
rijruna

Update time.
The legal agreement is being written as of yesterdays start. The next thing is to finalise the design to the satisfaction of everyone, then I chose the material used. I`m leaning towards something called 'nylon 12' or 'nylon 13'. One being slightly more rigid than the other.
Between us, we have maybe 10 factories to split up quotes. No One place will get all the job. I have insisted that [it being a multi-piece job] splitting it up with one place getting one part only is the only way I will sign. Once signed I then give them C.A.D. files with NDA to be signed as well.
Again, it comes back to security.
I look at it this way. This is my chance to make some real $$$ from inside the grey matter under the hairline. To even consider someone not under the umbrella of legal stuff taking it away isnt nice, therefore, prudence is needed. Too many of my ideas have been used by companies I`ve worked for, have taken the credit for a new idea of mine. You work for them, the idea is legally theirs. Not this.
Not crossed the bridge yet, but a fair way across & looking good.
Cheers
Rij
Old 18-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx View Post
Being a hungry kid at school I invented the sausage roll in a Vietnamese bread roll with mustard.

Or if I was short on money - it'd be dim sims in a roll with soy sauce.

Sausage roll in a roll still works! Still eat it to this day and it brings back memories of being a pimply 14 year old.
Try a wagon wheel in a buttered bun, or sandwich if you prefer......that's my contribution to the 20th century....(yep, I'm oldish)
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #45
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Try a wagon wheel in a buttered bun, or sandwich if you prefer......that's my contribution to the 20th century....(yep, I'm oldish)
or go the maccers stacker up grade and go two wagon wheels in the bun or sandwich !!!

besides the way the size the wagon wheel ended up you'd need to go two these days just to get the satisfaction that you would easily get from one originally

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #46
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Company I consult for tell me they'll pay me a wage whilst I develop a prototype and will support me through the VC process. They have this crazy belief in me, like I'll invent the next Facebook. Their words not mine. I'm sitting here watching a mate go through the process and it's all a bit too much like hard work. Jetting off all over the world to meet VC guys, having to deal with all these middle men who promise to connect him with the guys with $$$ to gamble, shopping his prototype around at trade shows, endless pre-sales meetings and demos. Its been a 2yr hard slog and they have so many $$$ tied up in it. His biggest challenge was getting the capital to support a new idea without any existing sales and a proven market for his idea. It was hard work finding the people to take the risk. As of last thursday though he has scored a big gov sale and getting the investment to take things to the next level might be a bit easier now. I'm too lazy/comfotable to do all that I guess. Having the idea is the easy part.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #47
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Most work boots these days come with a side zipper as well as laces for ease of removal. I have this idea to use a zipper on thongs to make them easier to remove. Anyone want to invest a few million??
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #48
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I am quite the ideas man actually. Have plenty of "fully sick" inventions.
- I have marshmallow holders( snapped off twig)
- Back scratchers ( unsnapped twig)
Obviously I can not divulge too many of my inventions. Good day.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #49
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

I invented getting out of bed in the morning then laying on the lounge all day watching F1. But dont tell anyone.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #50
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
I invented getting out of bed in the morning then laying on the lounge all day watching F1. But dont tell anyone.
I have used your invention. It is a privelege to meet you.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #51
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
I have used your invention. It is a privelege to meet you.
Have you signed my non disclosure form
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #52
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
I have used your invention. It is a privilege to meet you.
I really gotta get my invention patented, so that I can start collecting royalties every time someone uses my intention.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post