Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Default Tailshaft Vibration

Is it true that EF/EL were speed limited because of the tail shaft vibration at high speeds?

anyway that that can be sorted out for track days and soforth?

Old 20-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Fryday

My EF XR8 feels like the gearbox is going to come thru the floor at 192!!! Wasn't prepared to push it any harder and "drive" through it. If there's a speed limiter on it, it's higher than that.

Mates EL manual is limited to 185.

Yep, the problem can be fixed with an aftermarket tail shaft. Not sure where to buy from tho.
Fryday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

the tail shafts 'skipping rope'
install a tail shaft loop, tail shafts can be cheap, just ensure if it does let go, and do damage to the other parts of the car.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

My EL II XR8 gets a rather violent vibration in the range of 170-175km/h, only happens in that narrow band, does not happen at the same revs in any other gear(5sp), and disappears once over that speed. I have sat it on 200km/h for about 20mins with no problems. Weird that it only happens in that 5km/h range-maybe i have a wheel balance issue...
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
MADED-6
MADED.6

they speed limit them because they had problems with police cars that had to do really high speeds. the tail shaft actually expands and shortens and can fall out the back of the gearbox if u hit a decent sized bump at high speeds. i no this because i a guy at my work worked for ford and they had to wrap the police tail shafts in kevlar or somethin to stop them from doing this. this the reason being that i dont like to do to high speeds.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Tiga_EL
Banned

My car vibrates at 80km/h but after 100 its kool, dunno after 150km/h though. Im planing on bashing the ИИИИ out of the chassis where its rubbing
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #7
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I’m sure normal falcons had steel tail shafts and the police used aluminum ones, can anyone confirm this? Should I get it rebalanced before trying the back straight at Queensland Raceway?
Old 21-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #8
gtfpv
GT

the xr8s were not speed limited but had the same driveline. dumb hey . i had the el xr8 and over 180kms an hour mad vibration dangerous . the el gt had a better tailshaft to stop this happening.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EDGhia
they speed limit them because they had problems with police cars that had to do really high speeds. the tail shaft actually expands and shortens and can fall out the back of the gearbox if u hit a decent sized bump at high speeds. i no this because i a guy at my work worked for ford and they had to wrap the police tail shafts in kevlar or somethin to stop them from doing this. this the reason being that i dont like to do to high speeds.
so the output shaft goes into the tranny about 4 inches, you meant to say it can move that much.
sorry mate i find it hard to believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

the ELGT had the same 3 1/2 inch thick ally tailshaft but was carbon fibre wrapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #11
ETH02
Force Fed Fun

Default Mal Wood Automotive

Mal wood did a 2 piece shaft for falcons that was suitable for high speeds ( think 250 + km/h :sm_headba ) He was ( is ) a supplier to the XR6 & XR8 Club of Qld, someone may have his no or he has a web site too ( can't remember it :nutsycuck ). He also did gearbox conversions and diff center changes too.

Hope it helps, Cheers Steve

Shockwave BA MKII Typhoon :sm_headba
ETH02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If you have any dents of any sort get it replaced..The alloy shafts are better at high speed due to being lighter and less whip...That's why they are used on h.p vehicles and most commercial esp utes...Rebalancing your drive shaft is a very safe way of preventing any damage..Btw the lower the final drive the worse this whip situation gets..Yep Mall Woods two piece looks like its factory made...
Lowered cars should beat the floor up under rear seat, there's a seam / join there that cuts into the drive shaft..Lowering that snub rubber where the nose of diff hits it helps also..Better that hitting than d/shaft..
Also check that pinion angle on diff is almost straight, same with front uni..You may need to space gear box up or down a few mm... Mine is spaced up approx 8mm ...
Any vibrations also check universal joints and rear gear box mount...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #13
ETH02
Force Fed Fun

Post Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETH02
Mal wood did a 2 piece shaft for falcons that was suitable for high speeds ( think 250 + km/h :sm_headba ) He was ( is ) a supplier to the XR6 & XR8 Club of Qld, someone may have his no or he has a web site too ( can't remember it :nutsycuck ). He also did gearbox conversions and diff center changes too.

Hope it helps, Cheers Steve
Found it www.malwoodauto.com.au

Wouldn't like to see a another car get tumbled at willowbank ( you should be fine as long as Paul Morris isn't there ) :

Shockwave BA MKII Typhoon :sm_headba
ETH02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 02:26 AM   #14
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

You won't feel tailshaft vibration until at least 100Km/h.

Dana/Spicer are the only company in Australia that make tailshafts, have you given them a call? They did sell a Graphite tailshaft, the same as on the Predator, which doesn't have the balance issues of the originals, and if the tailshaft ever does come out, it will simply explode into small shards, instead of catapaulting the car end over end.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah i'm sayin that the tailshaft can move 4 inches coz it expands and shortens and then i decent bump if the tail lifts to much it can drop out i no this because of my mate at work thats had to fix them for cops coz they fell out of the back of the gearbox.
Old 21-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
MADED-6
MADED.6

and the output shaft is part of the gearbox it goes in alot more than 4 inchs i think u mean the tailshaft goes on to the output shaft and in the back of the box about 4 inchs.
Old 22-02-2006, 05:24 AM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

This thread explains a lot. My EA wagon (s#$tbox), MPFI 5 spd had a vibe. Got underneath to check the unis and diagnosed a r$%ted g/b output shaft. I was gonna rebuild the box, now Ill just buy some matches and a litre of petty.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post