Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU XR8 220 hard engine/rev cut. no fault codes, ideas??

Hi everyone.

I have an au xr8 220 manual with a custom tune and exhaust. All of a sudden it developed a fault. On occassion (although quite regregular) under full acceleration, at around 3500 to 4000 the car has a power cut. It looses all or most power for a split secondnthen seems to kick back in more ornless.

I ran the fault codes and it had a cam semsor fault. I replaced the whole cam sync and although the fault is gone the problem is not. The car now has no fault codes so the car does Not recognise the issue. I also reloaded the tune and changed the pkugs. No change.

Any educated ideas as i am stuck!
XF_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU XR8 220 hard engine/rev cut. no fault codes, ideas??

This is definitely the fuel swirl / surge problem, the car does not do it with a full tank. What are the solutions other than a surge tank??
XF_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Have you turned the pump around 180 degrees?
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=44585
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

If it started with the existing pump that was previously working ok, I can't see how turning it 180 degrees can fix something that's seemingly developed as the pump wears out? A blocked pickup filter or inline filter on the other hand would make sense.

I just put a Walbro 255lph (GS342) pump into mine and after years of putting up with fuel surge - it's now been good as gold for a couple of years now. Do not put a standard Ford pump into a 220kw or 250kw car, Ford was replacing these with high-flow units under warranty any time they exhibited fuel surge. I figure they didn't want to advertise that they had sold thousands of cars with under-specced pumps so they were just quietly replacing them on a case by case basis. I guess they didn't care what happened to us when they wore out outside of the warranty period and Ford spares sold us a standard pump that wasn't going to do the job.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Ive just found out my xr6 vct is doing the cut out thing accelerating hard out of a right hand corner, has anyone done the above fix & did it resolve the issue? Thanks for the link superroo!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I'm just trying to fathom the issue - under hard acceleration in the twisty's with a lowish fuel tank, g forces can push fuel to the back of the swirl pot causing fuel starvation because the fuel pickup in some AU's is at the front & not at the back of the swirl pot? The issue will be further exacerbated by a worn fuel pump too obviously.

Fact is a number of T's & Au XR6/8's suffered this malady from new (& repaired under warranty), the position of the pickup is the constant from what ive read. It seems some fuel pumps where installed from the factory the wrong way around unfortunately & if your fuel pump is wearing out but the pickup is in the correct position your AU will still suffer some starvation up top perhaps XF Pilot?

I'm just glad its nothing too serious or too hard to fix!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 06-06-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Mama, 'the pickup' is simply a sock on the end of the fuel pump and it can be fitted on any angle, so long as it fits within the swirl pot.

If the existing pump starts playing up when it was fine before - seems a no-brainier to get a walbro rather than a genuine pump as it's the same price and proven to be a fix.

If you are reading this because you have just fitted a new genuine pump and are now having trouble, then it's worth taking the pump out of the sender assembly that it came in, turning it 180 and refitting it. Seems that this has worked for some so it's definitely worth a try. (I didn't try it as I'd only read to turn the pickup 180 and for the life of me couldn't see how that could be done. Given my time again, I'd try taking the pump out and turning it 180 before resorting to spending more money on a Walbro)

Also, the factory pumps I tried were exhibiting the sever power loss on take off as well as around r/h bends. Even worse was that it would also do it when overtaking 😱
TE2 #116
Old 21-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi guy's, XF pilot, can i please ask how did you go, did you sort this issue out eventually?

The fuel cut out issue is giving me grief now & i'm wondering if anyone knows for a xr6 vct (with the usual bolt on's) if a new stock or aftermarket non hi flow fuel pump will have enough fuel flow?

Ive got a new stock aftermarket pump ready to go in but just need some confirmation it will be fine. I think yes but not sure? I know the fix for the v8's was a hi flow unit just not sure for the i6.

Any advice would be really nice, tia!

cheer's, Maka

Old 21-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Default AU XR8 220 hard engine/rev cut. no fault codes, ideas??

Just spotted my typo in the last response - sorry maka/mama!

I'm not very familiar with the VCT, but if some of the 220 engines are fine with the standard pump then I'd expect it to be fine in a mild VCT.

Edit: to answer your question, fitting the Walbro pump fixed the issue for me - 100%
TE2 #116
Old 21-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks heaps for the rapid response Silver, np on the typo mate, we all do it some times hey!

I'll install the new pump some time early this week & test it, will report back with the outcome.

I did take out my original pump for a quick gander a little while ago & the sock was clean & to the back. I'm thinking its just starting to show signs of wear & hoping that's case only!

cheer's, Maka

Old 22-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

The new pump is in & so far so good, i haven't given it full welly yet on low speed right handers but it seems good in a straight line (was doing it taking off too). Fuel level atm is just under a 1/4, so should know very soon whether we have a proper fix. Throttle definitely feels fatter though!

cheer's, Maka

Old 22-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

After some more "thorough" testing tonight, i reckon its all good now but time will tell. I'm happy for now, thanks Silver for your help!

cheer's, Maka

Old 22-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Glad to hear it!
TE2 #116