Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
coolozzieguy

Default Great Dirt Road Drives: Victoria

Hi All,

Was chatting with a mate the other day about how sad it is that Pikes Peak is now sealed from start to finish.

But this got us thinking: What are the great dirt road drives in Victoria?

I have driven the Grand Ridge Road once or twice, (once during\after heavy rain, was heaps of fun...) and would love to again soon. But we couldn't think of any other than that. I remember as a 8-9 y/o (now almost 31) going from Traralgon to Benalla where my grandparents still live, and dad taking us on a fantastic dirt road. He can't remember what it was or where it went.

Said grandparents are in their 80's and remember the Great Alpine Rd as a dirt road and how hairy it was to drive in a car like a Zephyr or Cortina.

The good thing about dirt roads these days like the Grand Ridge Road is that they are usually fairly deserted, save for a lost tourist or logging truck.

So, does anyone have a twisty\scenic dirt road they love to go for a drive on, just for the sake of going for a drive? Would love to hear some ideas, preferably from Victoria.

Thanks.
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!

Last edited by coolozzieguy; 25-01-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Formatting
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Great Dirt Road Drives: Victoria

Theres some good dirt roads around Mt Macedon and the whole region if you're into it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Theres some good dirt roads around Mt Macedon and the whole region if you're into it.
Around the Lerderderg State Park use to be good many years ago, don't know what it is like these days but you might know.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yeah anything into the state forrests are good, you can get into the Wombat State Forest from Bullengarook.

Also if you go to Gisborne, keep heading out of town on station street past the train station and turn right at Baringo and it'll take you up and over one of the mountains which forms the Ranges all on dirt roads.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wild dog road, just above the great ocean road.......plenty of good little logging roads up there we used to peruse in our Toyota Hi-Ace camper.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Around the Lerderderg State Park use to be good many years ago, don't know what it is like these days but you might know.
indeed , obriens crossing was a favorite haunt of mine, and some very very serious 4wd tracks should you be game enough to venture off the main rd and find some of the more difficult ones, with some good walking tracks too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Woods Point to Kevington is choice.
Old 26-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
coolozzieguy

Thanks for all the ideas people.

Gonna start looking them up now.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 26-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Woods Point to Kevington is choice.
Just looked that one up on Google Earth, looks like most of it is still dirt which is nice. The road that is 'C511' looks to be the goods. Probably not a snow-time road but that's fine.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 26-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

If coming from Seaford I would come up from Warburton on the Reefton Spur, at the top turn right towards Woods Point instead of left to Marysville / Lake Mountain. So from the top of the Reefton turn right, go right through Woods Point all the way to Kevington for a nice lunch on the river, then through to Jamieson, then from Jamieson take Eildon-Jamieson Rd to Eildon which is perhaps the best sealed drivers road in the country, then from Eildon go up Skyline Rd back towards Alexandra then from Alexandra head back towards Healesville via the Black Spur. In amongst that you have some of the best sealed roads in Australia and one of the nicest unsealed but still good enough for any car road in the run from Woods Point to Kevington.
Old 26-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If coming from Seaford I would come up from Warburton on the Reefton Spur, at the top turn right towards Woods Point instead of left to Marysville / Lake Mountain. So from the top of the Reefton turn right, go right through Woods Point all the way to Kevington for a nice lunch on the river, then through to Jamieson, then from Jamieson take Eildon-Jamieson Rd to Eildon which is perhaps the best sealed drivers road in the country, then from Eildon go up Skyline Rd back towards Alexandra then from Alexandra head back towards Healesville via the Black Spur. In amongst that you have some of the best sealed roads in Australia and one of the nicest unsealed but still good enough for any car road in the run from Woods Point to Kevington.
I was thinking of that area and Woods Point. Also, I really like Acheron Way between Mt Donna Buang and Narbethong I think it is.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Yes another great Dirt drive! So better still take that through to Marysville then climb up over Lake Mountain before continuing on towards Woods Point and the rest of the drive. I should have thought of tieing that stretch of dirt into my recommended route above.
Old 26-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
wild dog road, just above the great ocean road.......plenty of good little logging roads up there we used to peruse in our Toyota Hi-Ace camper.
agreed, plenty of good tracks to just drive around on and try get lost,
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maintongoon Rd between Eildon and Bonnie Doon gives some breathtaking views of Lake Eildon
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #15
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Briagalong to Dargo via the Freestone Creek Road is pretty interesting...

I remember once we were at our favourite waterhole about 10kms up the road form the Blue Pools, walking back to the car when we heard a motorbike approaching. Next thing we knew, all we heard was a scraping sound, the engine of the bike rev, engine cut out and the sliding continue. Then everything went dead quite.

We hightailed it to the road expecting to see the poor motorcyclist off the road and in the bush somewhere, but as we came onto the road we saw him slowly getting up and then pick up his bike. Thankfully, apart from a battered ego and a couple of bruises he was ok. It could have ended up much worse, especially if hadn't been there and he'd come a croppa.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Freestone Creek Road is indeed a great run, as long as nothing is coming the other way :-)
Old 28-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #17
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Maintongoon Rd between Eildon and Bonnie Doon gives some breathtaking views of Lake Eildon
My backyard! Yes that is pretty cool and has some nice views, but I still favour Kevington to Woods Point, particularly after big rains when the rivers are going well.
Old 28-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Freestone Creek Road is indeed a great run, as long as nothing is coming the other way :-)
As you can tell, I've been up there a time or two now, and never had a 4wd to do so. The worst for coming around the blind corners at speed and in the middle of the road are 4wds.

Even met a few towing horse floats on numerous occasions!! Now that was interesting (for both of us!). Thankfully never met them at points where there was not enough room for us to pass each other. I couldn't imagine the 4wd and horse float reversing too far, so it would have to be me that did so.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My backyard! Yes that is pretty cool and has some nice views, but I still favour Kevington to Woods Point, particularly after big rains when the rivers are going well.
I'll give that a go, we have a place in Goughs Bay but I've hardly done any trips.
Old 28-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Even met a few towing horse floats on numerous occasions!! Now that was interesting (for both of us!). Thankfully never met them at points where there was not enough room for us to pass each other. I couldn't imagine the 4wd and horse float reversing too far, so it would have to be me that did so.

Craig H
I've done the Yungas rd in Boliva (in a bus) which involved quite a bit of reversing around corners!
22 hours! the first hour was awesome after that it got scary! if we had read up about it beforehand we wouldn't have done it.
Old 28-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #21
Lewy950
Starter Motor

The Barry Way is good road. Goes from Buchan to Jindabyne. If you come from Buchan you can also turn left and head to Omeo.

Corryong to Omeo is another good one. Omeo to Dargo is also good but gets a rough and steep coming into Dargo.

Licola to Jamieson then onto Woods Point is another great run. The sealed run into Licola is fun too. Plus the uphill out of Licola.
Lewy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 02:12 AM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I never knew the name of that road, and haven't driven in in 15 or so years, but that's a great road!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 03:03 AM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off the top of my head. The back road to Mt Baw Baw from Rawson. Go through Erica and pass the Rawson turn off. The road is on the left a few clicks down. Great views. Another near there is the road from Walhalla to Matlock. Then another again out that way is the roads around the caringal scout camp just before you come into Erica. Careful though. Soft edges. We went over once and had to walk miles for help.

Another I can think of is the rose river road up near Myrtleford. From Myrtleford head out to lake buffalo. Drive over the dam wall and keep going until you get to a t intersection and go right onto the dirt. That will take you through to cheshunt and whitfield. Lots of back roads around there. One of them will take you back to lake buffalo.

I remember a place from when I was a kid. Not too sure of the name of the road but it ran alongside big river.

You've probably already done this one if you've done the grand ridge road as it comes off that. Take the road to tne tara bulga national park then head towards Yarram. Pretty good road albeit skinny with some nice waterfalls and camping.

Plenty of others, just can't quite place where they are.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #24
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Benwerrin - Mt Sabine Rd in the Otways. I haven't driven it for years but I always enjoyed it when I was younger.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post