Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Most common driving offences of 2014 NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Which is ridiculous as I always indicate in and out and never have a problem with it being impractical to do so.
I'm guessing that your 'indicating in' is when you turn right, not going straight ahead. ?
Old 27-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #32
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I'm guessing that your 'indicating in' is when you turn right, not going straight ahead. ?
Yes, as per set out in the NSW road rules.

Because of my age I have to have produce a Doctor’s Certificate to renew my licence, I make an effort to understand and drive within the rules to ensure no-one finds any other excuse to take my freedom away from me.

I don’t expect everyone to be as cautious as me, it was just an observation that most don’t understand the road rules for roundabouts or at least don’t try to adhere to them.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
What I don't get is the number of people I see in late model, high end, luxury cars, that don't utilise the bluetooth that you KNOW is in these cars...
The oldies who can afford those cars still have Nokia 3315s
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Yes, as per set out in the NSW road rules.

I don’t expect everyone to be as cautious as me, it was just an observation that most don’t understand the road rules for roundabouts or at least don’t try to adhere to them.
You don't "turn right", "turn left" or "go straight ahead" in a roundabout. This is just confusing language that the authorities have bamboozled the public with. A roundabout is a circular road, not a conventional intersection. You enter and exit it. You left signal when you want to exit (optional in Australia, compulsory in Europe) and you right signal (compulsory in Australia, illegal in Europe) when you want to continue around the roundabout until you reach the road at which you want to exit. (Which continent understands the principles of roundabouts better?)

Hope that clarifies it - for Australia!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
You don't "turn right", "turn left" or "go straight ahead" in a roundabout. This is just confusing language that the authorities have bamboozled the public with. A roundabout is a circular road, not a conventional intersection. You enter and exit it. You left signal when you want to exit (optional in Australia, compulsory in Europe) and you right signal (compulsory in Australia, illegal in Europe) when you want to continue around the roundabout until you reach the road at which you want to exit. (Which continent understands the principles of roundabouts better?)

The point I was getting at is that the amount of people that put their Right hand indicator on when entering a roundabout, but not actually turning right, is annoying.
Old 27-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The point I was getting at is that the amount of people that put their Right hand indicator on when entering a roundabout, but not actually turning right, is annoying.
Yes I understand. Many of them still have the right indicator on while exiting!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #37
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

Who has the best road rules is another completely different argument.

This is a matter of who drives to the rules.

Across the board Australians are very relaxed about road rules unless there is a camera involved.

As far as indicating goes, how about lane changers?

First off how many do you see that don’t bother to indicate at all.

Secondly of those that do, how many indicate and then wait until it’s safe to change as opposed to indicator on and change lanes all in one motion.

They expect you to instanly get out of the way, no courtesy, just aggressive driving.

Now I’m at an age where a licence is the difference between freedom for my wife and I or being homebound, I’ve become acutely aware of its importance.

A few years ago when we moved back to live in Australia one of the first things I did was to go to a learn to drive school and refresh myself with the road rules.

Sorry to say it but Australian’s as a whole are poor road users, no if or buts.

And yes you can come up with many places where driving is a shambles but two wrongs don't make a right.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #38
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't drinking a can of coke distracting??? Why isn't that illegal????????
Old 28-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #39
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t know if it was ever true or not and I have a feeling it’s nothing more than an urban myth but years ago I read about a fellow who was driving along while drinking from a bottle and he had a minor rear ender when the car in front of him stopped suddenly.

The ambulance fellows lifted him out of the car with the neck of the bottle sticking out the back of his own neck.

As I pointed out earlier there are many things done while driving that could be seen as a distraction but imposing new laws to stop it all would always end up in the too hard basket.

That’s not to say just because there is no law against it doesn’t mean it’s safe.
Old 28-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #40
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
seems to me the correlation is not the most common committed offense but rather the most focused on detection.

most committed I would guess to be failing to keep left unless overtaking on a road over 80kph speed limit
I wrote some software that logs driving offences. In testing the two most common offences by far were inappropriate use of foglights and failing to indicate. There was daylight between these two and the rest.

Thing is with the speeding stats, when you commit the most time and resources on one or two offences and only one or two offences, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that they will be the most detected.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #41
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Here's a gray area CBs/Two ways, can you use these while driving?
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #42
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While mobile phones are a strong focus in this thread I wouldn't mind betting the myriad of distractions that involve removing of one's hand from the wheel would be covered under existing legislation,
ie Failure to have proper control of a vehicle (Victoria)

Bill.
Old 28-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #43
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Here's a gray area CBs/Two ways, can you use these while driving?
From experience if you're just chatting to mates, no problem.

If you're talking about Mr Plod or giving up where he is. Problems