Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Default Dealling with dodgy used car yard in QLD

I am trying to find out if people have had to deal with dodgy car dealers in QLD and what process they had to go threw to see any out come. I have spoken to QLD fair trading and MTAQ (Motor Trades Association QLD) which the dealler is not a member of and have also sort legal advice but wondering if there are any other avenues that I might be able to try.

Basically the car came with torn seat belt and something in the 4x4 system would cause the front end to lock up when the 4x4 was engaged and due to recent road works and weather we needed the the 4x4 system to be functional. The car came with a rwc which with a torn seat belt it should not have got. The dealer original said it would be fixed and after I drove the car over 200km's to return the car to them they are now refusing to fix it.

Now I am stuck with no car big enough to move all my family around in and the mechanical work shop where the car is at wants the car out of there shop

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealling with dodgy used car yard in QLD

How long since you bought the vehicle and how many k's have you done?
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

How old is the vehicle? If it's 10 years or older your most probably out of luck bud. Save the hassle and get it fixed yourself.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

It has been approx 7 and a bit weeks since we bought the car but we took the car back to the dealer 4 weeks ago. When we informed the dealer of the issues the car had travelled less then 1000km's but they are saying as of last week travelled over 2000km's.

I know that due to the distance I had to travel to get the car to them that they are to cover the costs of that but they are saying they don't but its on the fair trading website. basically I went over my allowed km's by returning the car to them so they could inspect and repair it but from what I am being told it basically doesn't count as they wanted the car to come back to them.

The vehicle in question is a 2005 suzuki grand vitara xl7 2.7L v6 5spd manual

This is just a pain in the butt as it took a long time to save the cash to get the car and we need this vehicle due to the size of my family.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
Old 19-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The business who did the RWC are liable as they've been negligent on the terms of their licence.
This is like the old days, car dealers in bed with garages doing RWC. I was under the impression that it had been cleaned up, obviously not.
Go to another RWC provider and ask some questions.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually both of the items you mention are safety related issues and I'd be pursuing this along those lines.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah mate don't worry about wasting anymore time with the car yard, ring the bloke that did the roadworthy and ask how the car got through. Then say if he can't help you, you'll take it further and put his licence in jeopardy. Then hang up and see who rings back first him or the car yard.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Yeah mate don't worry about wasting anymore time with the car yard, ring the bloke that did the roadworthy and ask how the car got through. Then say if he can't help you, you'll take it further and put his licence in jeopardy. Then hang up and see who rings back first him or the car yard.
Very good advice
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria a car sold by a dealer now has to be fit for purpose regardless of age or mileage which means it must do what a car is supposed to do and dealers here are running scared.If Qld has similar wording in their legislation,you should be OK as a 4wd that doesn't 4wd is clearly not fit for purpose.
Old 20-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend had issues years ago with a car with RWC. They went to main roads about it. Was sorted pretty quickly by the dealer then.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I need to go back to qld transport to get the copy of the rwc as they kept it when we transferred the rego into our name. The whole thing is just making my wife and I sick.

With autistic twins and 2 other kids 3 and under we desperately needed this car and the generally speaking the car has a great reputation for being a very good car going by mechanic and journalist reviews as well as speaking to owners of the same model car.

I really need to get the car out of the mechanics shop and store it where the dealer cant get it and do it asap which is hard when I am not near the car and technically in another state.

Old 20-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contact ACA, they loves things like this.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/contacts/
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #13
P5Graeme

A quick call to your state Dept of Consumer Protection should tell you who is responsible for repairs. It generally gets things sorted out fairly well.
P5Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post