Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Running orange/yellow traffic lights.

The whole problem with yellow lights is it is somewhat open to discretion and unless you have an accident or a patrol car is near you won't have a problem in most cases.

I stop if I can, but my car can pull up very quick so that line can blur somewhat depending on where the person is behind me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #32
Dezza
Parts bin special

My EA got rear ended when I stopped at an amber light that I probably should have gone through. Luckily damage was minor (to the EA, The Hilux that hit me looked pretty sad). Sometimes they can be hard to judge. There are some I've stopped at that I shouldn't have, other times I nearly catch the red.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html

and you should know everything in the code including Regulation 41.

Quote:

41. Stopping for circular yellow signal or yellow arrow
(1) If a traffic control signal facing a driver displays a steady circular yellow signal or a yellow arrow, the driver shall not proceed beyond the stop line associated with the signal or the stop line of the lane associated with the signal or in the absence of a stop line, at a point adjacent to the nearest appropriate traffic control signal, unless the driver is so close to the stop line, or traffic control signal, when the circular yellow signal or yellow arrow first appears, that the driver cannot safely stop the vehicle before passing over the stop line.
(2) If a traffic control signal facing a driver displays a steady circular yellow signal or a yellow arrow and the driver cannot safely stop the vehicle in accordance with subregulation (1), but can stop safely before entering the intersection, the driver shall stop before entering the intersection.
(3) If a traffic control signal facing a driver displays a steady circular yellow signal or a yellow arrow and the driver is not able to stop safely under subregulation (1) or (2), and enters the intersection, the driver shall leave the intersection as soon as the driver can do so safely.
Modified penalty: 2 PU
(4) If there is a bicycle storage area before a traffic control signal referred to in subregulation (1), a reference to the stop line —
(a) in the case of a driver of a motor vehicle, is a reference to the first stop line that the driver comes to, or came to, in approaching the signal;
(b) in the case of a rider of a bicycle, is a reference to the stop line that is nearest to the intersection.
[Regulation 41 amended in Gazette 22 Dec 2006 p. 5819; 13 Nov 2009 p. 4573 4.]
Old 16-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #34
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Get in the habit of stopping otherwise it can be fatal if someone on the cross street rushes the green or the oncoming traffic turns into your staff reasonably expecting you to stop. You are also meant to slow before even the green light so it should always be safe to stop.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #35
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
somewhat open to discretion
No; the only discretion is with how many other offences the officer may decide to ticket you for.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #36
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

in the ACT running a yellow is the same offence as running a red. sadly I know.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #37
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Interesting that 40 years ago when I got my licence, the rules, driving instructors and licence testers were very specific that the light colour was 'AMBER', not 'yellow' or 'orange'. If you mentioned yellow or orange, you were incorrect. I suppose its the multi-cultural society these days that has changed the colour to 'yellow' in the rules.

But back to the topic, here in Victoria it is very unwise to brake heavily when the lights change to amber. Otherwise you are very likely to wear another vehicle in your rear. Quite often I see the vehicle behind following me through the intersection after the lights have changed. I always keep an eye on the rear vision mirror when approaching lights that may change soon.

And when turning right and the lights change, always make sure all oncoming cars are stopping, before continuing the turn. Never assume.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #38
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Get in the habit of stopping otherwise it can be fatal if someone on the cross street rushes the green or the oncoming traffic turns into your staff reasonably expecting you to stop. You are also meant to slow before even the green light so it should always be safe to stop.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
in the ACT running a yellow is the same offence as running a red. sadly I know.
So what happens when your car crosses the line just before the intersection, just as the lights change to yellow?
Old 16-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #39
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

That was my argument with teh copper. the light went to yellow as I was about 10 metres back from the line, doing 60, no way to stop in time. copper wouldn't hear it.

Old 16-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #40
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
That was my argument with teh copper. the light went to yellow as I was about 10 metres back from the line, doing 60, no way to stop in time. copper wouldn't hear it.
That's probably where a dash cam will come in handy, and take it to court.
Old 16-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #41
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I'd lose more money taking one or more days off work. that's why they get away with so much rubbish laws and stupid enforcement.

Old 16-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #42
GTMOND

I tried to stop in a b/double at an orange but I knew after I had slowed to about 40 I wasn't going to stop in time so tried to power out of it only to be flashed by the red light camera. The thing is I knew it was a red light camera intersection so my natural instinct was to stop.
I went to the police station straight away at 1am in the to explain my situation only to talk to one of the police over an intercom as they wouldn't open up. All he said was every one else can pull so you should be able to regardless of 62 ton weight.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #43
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
I'd lose more money taking one or more days off work. that's why they get away with so much rubbish laws and stupid enforcement.
Or maybe tell the copper you are taking it to court, after showing him the camera .
Old 16-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #44
GTMOND

Well the funny thing was I never received a fine or anything. I was told by someone that it may have been out of film or whatever it is in there, but it certainly went off being 1am she lit up pretty well. Or maybe they saw my situation but either way ended well.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

In my defensive driving course they taught us that a good driver always slows down before an intersection, even if it's showing green ahead.

Do that and you can usually stop safely....and allow for idiots who don't stop.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
In my defensive driving course they taught us that a good driver always slows down before an intersection, even if it's showing green ahead.

Do that and you can usually stop safely....and allow for idiots who don't stop.
Its called driving like you're riding a bike
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #47
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Not sure if this fact... But I was told that once your moving through the unbroken lines approaching the traffic lights, you can continue to travel through the intersection on a yellow if safe to do so, something to do with safe braking/speed/distance? so if you haven't hit the unbroken lines and you do choose to proceed through on the yellow you can be given a ticket...

Also remember when stopped at a red light which then changes to Green, always check that nothing is coming towards you from both sides, perhaps through a red light....

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #48
dirtyclevo

i do it all the time. what is even funnier is. i sneak through just before it turns red. and then a few more go through it after me.

and i thought i was bad. the cheeky bastards
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #49
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Italy is the place to drive, no ? they have a system that makes you stop because you know she is going to start coming directly the other way regardless you know.
Something to do with Ben Hur and a chariot i do believe.

But hear we have a lot of dopey drongos at the wheel every where, they don't have that problem on the road in Italy, they have the spikes in the wheels for people like that you know.

Last edited by castellan; 17-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #50
ljf12

Unless the rules have changed , in WA if you enter the intersection under amber, changes to red while you are in the intersection, you can still be done by a red light camera . Was told it depends on how long it takes you to clear the intersection after the light turns red.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #51
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in NSW running the amber is the same fine and points as running the red. It's not that hard, the amber is there to give the intersection time to clear before the light goes red and the other goes green. So if you are approaching the intersection and the light goes amber and you are almost there you keep travelling at your constant speed and go through no problems. if you have to floor it or accelerate to 'make it' you should have probably stopped, and are probably breaking the law/road rules. It's pretty easy to judge if you apply common sense, which should really be called 'rare sense' as it is anything but common these days.

Every time I approach a set of lights I will take note how long it has been green to give me some idea if it will change, I will also be watching traffic behind me, to make sure I do not have a B double or older style 4x4 with bad stopping power hanging off my back bumper, as this will affect how hard I can stop without causing a collision, even though the collision would NOT be my fault, but this still does not make the damage to my vehicle or my injuries and less, so I am proactive in that regard.

In short if stopping on amber requires harsh braking or would likely cause a collision then travel on through, if you need to floor it to try and 'make the amber' then do not complain of you get a ticket.

I remember years ago getting stopped by an unmarked Police car, after running through the amber, I checked the rear view mirror and there was a car sitting right on my back bumper as the lights turned amber, I could have probably stopped but felt it unsafe due to the car behind me being so close. as we went through the car sitting on my back bumper activated the hidden lights and pulled me over asking me why I had not stopped. I simply replied that 'someone' was sitting right up my ****, and I deemed it unsafe.

He went away checked my license and wished me a good day before driving off into the distance

This explains it:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...08104/s57.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Recently seen a dashcam video of a truck stopping at a amber light only to have someone run into the back of him.
Cops apparently said it was the trucks fault for stopping. Even though he had plenty of time to stop. It was just the vehicle behind him not paying proper attention.
So it depends on the cop. There is no consistency with a rule like this.
Unlikely, any vehicle that hits a vehicle from behind is deemed at fault, even any vehicle hitting any stationary vehicle is also deemed at fault no matter where the stationary vehicle may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzF6
Also remember when stopped at a red light which then changes to Green, always check that nothing is coming towards you from both sides, perhaps through a red light....
^^^ this is probably the most important thing to do, just because you have a green light it's not a good idea to just blindly drive through the intersection, as the guy going the other way might just be ignoring the red light, and just because you are in the right does not make you any less dead.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #52
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Anyone remember these?... Last one I remember was on Nepean Highway Carrum?
At least you knew when they were going to change

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #53
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post

I remember those when I was a kid. I also seem to remember everyone speeding up to beat the arrow reaching the amber .

Ah the good old days.
Old 18-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #54
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post

Never seen one, seems like a good idea, but may cause other issues I guess with people racing to beat the timer.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #55
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria I have been fined for this.

The offence was the same as running a red light. In Vic you get fined for disobeying traffic signals.

At the time, I said to the officer that I thought it was not safe to stop, he said you could have stopped and as we were traveling up a hill.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #56
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
In Victoria I have been fined for this.

The offence was the same as running a red light. In Vic you get fined for disobeying traffic signals.

At the time, I said to the officer that I thought it was not safe to stop, he said you could have stopped and as we were traveling up a hill.
He was probably trying to get his quota up. Wouldn't be surprised if he was tail gating you to get you to go through.