Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default LHD parts into RHD

Anyone toyed with the idea of installing all the parts from a USDM vehicle into the equivalent Australian vehicle? The vehicle in question is a BMW E90/E91 3 Series. A full M3 wreck from the US can be had for ridiculously cheap price < $10k, while a repmobile local 3 series could be had for low teens. Could I put 2 and 2 together and create a pretty cool cruiser for not much money at all? An obvious problem would be LHD vs RHD, but being the same vehicle, there could be enough between the two cars to almost have a working RHD vehicle?

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: LHD parts into RHD

Can you import a wreck from overseas and still be able to get around the vehicle import restrictions here?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK, you can't bring in a car here that was sold here brand new.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
AFAIK, you can't bring in a car here that was sold here brand new.
Wouldn't that only apply to cars that you intend to register for road use?

Plenty of people bring in half cuts and 'track only' cars. Surely a wreck would be fine?

I'd ask on a reputable BMW forum regarding the conversion. As it's a complete car, I imagine you could swap over the entire wiring harness etc. The only problems I can imagine you'd encounter would be location of ancillaries as it may vary between LHD/RHD models. You'd have everything you need (diff, bigger brakes) to get the car all roadworthy and engineered. check the rules for your state, though.

Edit: E90 sedans are ugly. Get an E46 and put everything into that

Last edited by Motorbreath310; 12-05-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Australian M3

American M3

Old 12-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would've thought the majority of the problems with LHD to RHD would be with any of the things that link back to stuff in the cabin rather than what's visible under the hood.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
I would've thought the majority of the problems with LHD to RHD would be with any of the things that link back to stuff in the cabin rather than what's visible under the hood.
Heater box, steering rack, pedal box, most of which I could just retain the original RHD items? I guess the V8 loom could be a problem if its not long enough to reach the Left or Right side of dash.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to cut a car into pieces to bring a vehicle in for parts. often automotive business get away with it as they have customs clearances to dismantle the vehicles and you see near complete cars in wreckers.

Race body often have to be exported of destroyed depending on how the import taxes was payed.

Is a ser3 body shell the same for a small engine V big engine. often well engineered cars have different thickness of steel depending on models.
There has been history of rebirthing occurring in OZ and a history of some getting into strife for misrepresentation.

Some euro cars are built to be assembled in countries in small numbers and share LHD/RHD bodies. cars often are the same car with only a few bits different. electrical bits can be a worry the heater normally mounted in the center/steering rack is simple-exhaust should be available.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
I had to cut a car into pieces to bring a vehicle in for parts. often automotive business get away with it as they have customs clearances to dismantle the vehicles and you see near complete cars in wreckers.

Race body often have to be exported of destroyed depending on how the import taxes was payed.

Is a ser3 body shell the same for a small engine V big engine. often well engineered cars have different thickness of steel depending on models.
There has been history of rebirthing occurring in OZ and a history of some getting into strife for misrepresentation.

Some euro cars are built to be assembled in countries in small numbers and share LHD/RHD bodies. cars often are the same car with only a few bits different. electrical bits can be a worry the heater normally mounted in the center/steering rack is simple-exhaust should be available.
Similar conversion was done to a 318i wagon in the UK. Chassis was same between m3 and 318i apparently.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
snowcone

Something that a lot of people don't think of is that the wipers are on the opposite sides too, and these are near impossible to change over.
You could live with them the way they are but you won't have good vision in front of the driver.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should be looking to only modifying a Australian complied body shell with factory optioned mechanicals. easy as--look at Asian parts imports like new Zealand.

some of the older BMW of the same age use older body shells with later external trim upgrades, Like falcon utes.

I had a lot of customers with 316-318, very common lease vehicles given to local workers to comute to work.1990-2010 ages.
lot of customers had European magazines showing Nissan SR20 and RD28 conversion Kits.
in europe cheep supplies of jap import catalyst engines and diesels for tax reasons and not very hard to get cars complied.

my experience is mostly with E30-E36 vintage. my boss and mates purchased lease vehicles .and lost interest with E46. The dealer was across the street.

I often repaired interstate/sydney cars for dealers and an engine repairer because its cheeper in country areas to work on these.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post