Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Mercedes s-class coupe

Quote:

Geneva debuts don't come much bigger than the new Mercedes S-Class Coupe. Well, physically at least. At over five metres long the new uber coupe - leaked yesterday - is excessive in size as well as technology and luxury, while adopting a decidedly more dynamic appearance than the three generations of CL it replaces. Bristling with high tech, rippling with textured design Mercedes describes as - bluergh - 'sensual purity' and even available with optional Swarovski crystal encrusted headlights it's a very different vision of luxury to the bruising Bentley GT V8 S also featured on the PH homepage today. What, you thought that was a coincidence or something?

As it stands the Audi-engined Bentley and its 528hp twin-turbo V8 have the horsepower to leave the currently entry level S500 Coupe gasping, the Merc's 5.0-litre twin-turbo V8 boasting 455hp but retaliating with a Conti-crushing 516lb ft of torque. In terms of technology though the S-Class Coupe makes the Continental - and pretty much everything else on the road - look somewhat dinosaur like.

New S-Class Coupe, cornering on rails yesterday
New S-Class Coupe, cornering on rails yesterday
As per the new S-Class, Mercedes acronym overload has gone beyond the world of 'Assist' this and 'Plus' that and is now nothing short of 'Magic'. The panoramic roof is magic (switches between clear and opaque in the blink of an eye), the suspension is magic (reads the road ahead and adjusts accordingly) and the new coupe follows in the tradition of its forebears by rolling out a brand new gizmo called active tilting function. Yes, the S-Class Coupe actually leans into the bends, turning every corner into a version of the Karussell, minus the thumping concrete expansion joints of course.

Let's hope it's more successful than the famous leaning Advanced Passenger Train, Britain's great rail-based technological tour de force that never quite made the translation from novelty prototype to production reality.

Active tilting function is an extension of the ABC Active Body Control that was originally launched on the C140-shape CL, the car that before its facelift was the last to bear the S-Class Coupe name. From cylinder cut-off to xenon lights and ESP, the flagship Mercedes coupe has long been the early adopter of technology then filtered down through the Mercedes range and, indeed, adopted by rivals too. As such they'll be taking a keen interest in the car, which sales and marketing boss Ola Kallenius - formerly head of AMG - describes as "as exclusive as it gets - the ultimate in aesthetic sportiness."

If you're interested in the full story on the new S-Class Coupe you can read the official press release here. Pricing hasn't been mentioned yet but with the current car starting at £94,630 it's safe to assume the base figure will contain six digits. You could knock a couple of zeroes off that with a dive into the PH classifieds of course, research for our story yesterday revealing early C215 CLs starting at the five-grand mark and even the outgoing version available from a smidge under £20K - check out this £19,450 CL600 if you were in any doubt.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Mercedes s-class coupe

That pattern on the seat looks like a 1920s couch.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Seems to be the style at the moment- had a look at the new Audi RS4 and it's the same quilted style stitched trim
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well why the hell not.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Bentley have been doing seats like this for years.
I think it suits the style of the car.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Bentley have been doing seats like this for years.
I think it suits the style of the car.
My only complaint would be that the speedo/binnacle thing shuld be old school.

I know you have more functionality with a digital display but for me it cheapens the look; id prefer a more bespoke/crafted display if spending that $$$. Those seats are awesome.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
My only complaint would be that the speedo/binnacle thing shuld be old school.

I know you have more functionality with a digital display but for me it cheapens the look; id prefer a more bespoke/crafted display if spending that $$$. Those seats are awesome.
I agree about the screen where the speedo gauges should be. It's the only gripe I have with an otherwise beautiful piece of engineering. A proper gauge cluster adds depth to the gauges and a little design flair, this strikes me as the cheaper option with less moving parts.. Keep the screen in the middle, but I'd rather a proper set of gauges which are beautifully designed and assembled.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
MercuryT
Banned

Really like the look of this, awesome - interior in particular.

Only part that doesn't impress is the back, albeit it might just be a bad angle in the pic. (plus those squarish surrounds on so many new cars just look terrible/tacky, but that might just be me)

ps: still have one in a heartbeat though of course!
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Yeah the back is a bit meh. Tail lights are a bit plain. Would have to see it in the metal to make a final call on it though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front looks nice and the interior is OK, but the back is terrible.
Isn't there an E class coupe? I think S class should stay true to the Luxury LWB Sedan.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
In that it isn't bland and grey/beige like every other car seat on the planet?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #12
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a beautiful car no matter which way you look at it I reckon. The seats look fantastic to me - just something a bit different but classy at the same time!

Russ
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Isn't there an E class coupe? I think S class should stay true to the Luxury LWB Sedan.
Coupes have been part of the S class range before, not always a sedan....
Old 13-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

This is the first time it's actually an S Class coupe, previously it was called the CL class.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
This is the first time it's actually an S Class coupe, previously it was called the CL class.
It was the SEC before that.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Rodge
Banned

I don't like it at all. The current CL and CLS are a nice looking bit of kit but this latest design is bloody awful. The quilted seat thing is also another distasteful aspect. Epic fail as far as I'm concerned.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
There was a CL class true, but I believe there were S model coupe's before then.

There was actually about a 1994 S500 coupe that was recently for sale down my way.
Old 14-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I don't like it at all. The current CL and CLS are a nice looking bit of kit but this latest design is bloody awful. The quilted seat thing is also another distasteful aspect. Epic fail as far as I'm concerned.
Really? I have to admit I really like it and a nice touch.

Still, we all like different things!
Old 14-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's one of the best looking cars I've seen in a long long time. I don't think there's anything about it I'd say I don't like.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
VICFPV

I will have one in V12 thanks.
S65.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Love the quilted seats!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

That is one hot bit of kit, I'd take one in a heartbeat.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
KAM120

God cars are getting ugly, that rear end is horrid and the dials look like they're going to be digitized. The front end looks alright but its too similar to everything else.
KAM120 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #24
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Here is the S63 AMG Coupe...god it looks good in white, in black it would look even better.

Quote:

Mercedes-Benz’s AMG performance car division has turned the heat up on the recently unveiled S-Class coupe, endowing the aluminium-bodied two door with a stout 430kW in the creation of its rapid new S63 AMG Coupe.

Revealed here in a series of official photographs ahead of a planned public debut at next month’s New York motor show, the plush four-seater replaces the CL63 AMG at the upper end of the Mercedes-Benz line-up, where it aims to provide stiff competition to the Bentley Continental GT.

Power for the S63 AMG hails from AMG’s twin-turbocharged 5.5-litre V8 engine. With 430kW, the direct injection petrol unit kicks out 30kW more than the similarly configured engine used by the older CL63 AMG and 10kW more than the CL63 AMG with the earlier performance package option, which is no longer offered on its replacement. Torque remains the same as before, swelling to a peak of 900Nm at 2250rpm.

By comparison, the S500 Coupe’s twin-turbocharged 4.6-litre V8 direct injection petrol engine produces 335kW and 700Nm ft of torque.
Advertisement

The heady reserves are channeled through a standard seven-speed AMG Speedshift automatic gearbox offering three driving modes as well as a stop/start function for added fuel savings in urban driving conditions. As with the recently introduced S63 AMG saloon, buyers can now choose between either standard rear wheel drive and optional 4Matic four-wheel-drive.

Mercedes-Benz claims a 65kg reduction in weight over the old CL63 AMG both for the rear-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive S63 AMG Coupe, which are claimed to weight the same 1995kg for a power-to-weight ratio of 3.41kW per kg.

The common weight figure is down to differing underpinnings; the former receives a standard AirMatic air suspension with optional corner tilt function, while the latter receives a more conventional and lighter steel sprung suspension.

The rear-wheel-drive S63 AMG Coupe is claimed to hit 100km/h from standstill in 4.3 seconds – a scant 0.1 seconds faster than the CL63 AMG.

But it is the four-wheel drive S63 AMG Coupe 4Matic that takes the performance honours thanks to its superior off-the-line traction with an official time that is 0.4sec faster than the performance packaged equipped CL63 AMG at just 3.9sec.

Both models boast the same limited 250km/h top speed. Combined cycle fuel consumption is put at 10.1L/100km and 10.3L/100km respectively, leading to average CO2 outputs of 237g/km and 242g/km.

Underpinning the S63 AMG is a reworked version of the standard S-Class Coupe’s hi-tech chassis. It receives unique front axle kinematics, including greater camber and a larger diameter anti-roll bar. The rear axle receives a stiffer sub-frame member for the suspension. The adoption of standard 19-inch forged aluminium wheels with 255/45 front and 285/40 rear profile tyres is claimed to bring a reduction in unsprung masses in comparison to the older CL63 AMG.

Together with a standard AirMatic adjustable air suspension, the rear-wheel-drive S63 AMG Coupe also comes with Mercedes-Benz’s so-called Magic Body Control system. It is comprised of a number of different functions, including the road surface scanner and active body control system already available on the S63 AMG saloon.

In a first for the S63 AMG Coupe, buyers can also add the German car maker’s new cornering tilt function, which automatically inclines the body by up to 2.5 degrees at speeds between 30 and 180km/h. Further options include carbon-ceramic brakes and 20-inch forged aluminium wheels shod with 255/40 front and 285/35 rear tyres.

The S63 AMG Coupe is differentiated from the standard S-Class Coupe by a series of customary AMG styling elements. Included is a heavily structured front bumper with sizeable air ducts for additional engine cooling performance, twin blade grille, “V8 BiTurbo” badges within the front wings, deeper rear bumper with high gloss diffuser, twinned chromed tail pipes either side and new S63 AMG model designation below the tail lamps.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...320-353qg.html
Old 20-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #25
Rodge
Banned

Expect late model stocks of the previous model to appreciate in value, as it was a far more beautiful design IMHO.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I've tried to let it grow on me. Can't. It's horrific looking at just about every angle inside and out to me. That dash. Oooof. AMG usually hit the mark for me, the C63 will be the first thing I'd buy after I win the lottery. Can't win them all.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post