Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

Default what a productive day...

hey everyone, today was quite productive but not everything went as planned, the clear indicators are now on, look quite horn if i do say so myself :evilsasmo

with help of derb i also fitted a new fuel pump, that covers a ***** to get off but once it was off it was clear sailing

I was hoping that fitting the new pump would fix up the probs ive been having, ever since attemping to do the bbm conversion and having to put the cfi back on, the electrics have been playing up, every now and again the volts will jump to 16, the battery light will come on, but it will only last a few seconds and then settle back down. If the car happens to be in third (its an auto EA2 Fairmont) when the volts go up, it gets stuck and wont go up to 4th... weird.... occaionally wild driving, it will also just die, i pull over and it starts again no probs at all. again, weird...

Also since playing with the manifold, now when i plant my foot it doesnt kick down straight away, it used to do it quickly but now takes about a second to do it, not cool when im trying to do something quickly...

i thought it may have been a lack of fuel but it still does it with the new pump, do u think i need a new regulator? A stuffed one would explain the the voltage spike...

could all these things be related?

and ideas or explanations as to : is going on would be greatly appreciated

Bender
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

so no one has any ideas at all what may be going on?? ive heard of other ppls falcons cutting out whilst driving, surely someone has an idea...
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Old 24-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
DentEd XR8

How often does the voltage spike up? Like does it happen on a daily basis and when does it happen, idling, accelerating etc?

I would go over all the wiring around the manifold if you've had it off and double check everything is plugged back in right, I'd also swap the the TPS plugs around and see if that helps the auto kickdown situation incase it's a TPS Fault.
Old 24-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Simmo
White Lightning

i reckon a new battery and alternator wouldnt go astray mate.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

ive got a new battery and a new tps modual, when i think about it, it when im accelerating when the voltage spikes, its spiratic, sometimes a couple times a day, then not for a week. ill have to go around the wiring, but im thinking witht eh spikingm it may be the regulator. r they hard to change? or is it an alternator out job?

thanks for the ideas, keep bringing them on =)

Old 24-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

sticking in 3rd is LOS (limp home) because of the voltage... I had this problem at one stage and all I had to do was tighten the battery connectors a bit more... you've probably tried this but yeah, could be your voltage regulator in the alternator is buggered perhaps...
Old 24-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

so it looks like it may be 2 separate problems, one being the voltage spikes, solution may be a new regulator, and one being the tps modual. i can change the tps modual no probs, (its a pain in the **** cause its a new one...) but how easy/hard is it to change the regulator, is it just screwed onto the alternator or would i have to take it completely out to change? does anyone have a pic or tutorial on how to do it?

Old 25-01-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
Sundeep
Banned

I'd be looking at the regulator too. It's a piece of **** to change, just awkwardly positioned. It's held on with 2 screws and a plug, make sure you d/c the battery when you pull it out.

I changed on in my car a while ago because the alternator light would randomly come on and go off, I figured out what it was straight away.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 01:26 AM   #9
DentEd XR8

The Reg's are a piece of **** as Sunny has said, the whole thing isnt hard to get out either and do it on the bench if you're worried. I forget what a new reg cost's these days but back in the day (3 years ago) when I was doin work experience at an auto elec we were charging $90 exchange or $120 fitted for a fully recoed alternator. (stator, armature and rectifier get all tested, new bearings, new reg and the case is all sandblasted).
Old 25-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

I think its time for a new reg, it spiked about 3 times on the drive home from work... not cool, plus side is that the fuel gauge worked for a bit.... i think ill go with the recon alternator idea, then i can definately rule out that prob.

now to the kick down, is it the actual TPS modual that controls kickdown or is there something else that does it? i think a trip to the wreckers is in order to try a differnt one is in order...

thnks everyone

Old 25-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
galapogos01
eec tweaker

voltage fluctuations - id say its your engine block to body earth wire. i doubt its the reg if youre going up to 16v.

no kickdown - id say you have the TPS plugged in wrong/the connector is ****ed/its not on the throttle fitting properly.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #12
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

well well well, guess what happened....

for those in brissy, u know vulture street at south bank, well i stopped there, no, not for the sights, but cause my car F*$ked up!!!!!

One tow truck later, its siting out the front of my place awaiting destruction.. or a new everything, which ever comes first... symptoms were the same as last time, im pretty sure its the TPS modual, that would have blown up because of the high voltage spikes im getting me thinks..

so tomorrow, ill pick up myself up a new tps doova and a recon alternator and have a play over the weekend...

wish me luck...

over and out

bender

Old 26-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
DentEd XR8

Bad Luck Dude

What exactly happened when it stopped and couldn't ya get it restarted?
Old 26-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

was driving round soubank and the voltage went thru the roof, it settled down again, then about 5 minutes later i pulled up up some lights and it just cut out, i tried to turn it over, it cranks but doesnt start, last time it happened, the racq guy said there was no spark, i replaced the tps and it became all good, the exact same thing happened this time.

i really do think its a regulator thing now, tomorrow im going to pick up a new tps and a recon alternator, and friday ill look into replacing it all.

bender

Old 27-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA_Bender
i tried to turn it over, it cranks but doesnt start, last time it happened, the racq guy said there was no spark, i replaced the tps and it became all good, the exact same thing happened this time.
Same sorta thing happened with my Falcon, was cruising up the Bruce on my way home. Put the foot down to get some power up over a hill and past a car carrier when I felt a bang and had no power and was in the right lane too. Did that twice and the second time it needed towing.

Turned out to be a distributor and ignition coil. Lightened my wallet $395. Almost converted me too.
Old 28-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #16
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

well im back on the road but all is still not well, they replaced the tps, but it still didnt go, he had a look at the wiring around that area, and it looked like some of the wires had come apart.... but anyway, the alternator was on the werge of being rooted, all the bushes were stuffed.

But in his efforts to connect the right wires together, the taco now fails to work, i can live without it tho.. he may have accidently pulled somethign apart he shouldnt have, i told him right away and ill have to take it back again for him to look at further.

i gave her a bit of a test on the way home, no weird fluctuations in voltages but it still doesnt kick down like it used to. is kick down a mechanical thing, as in a cable or controlled electronically?

all in all im back in action abeit some small things...

nothing ever really goes to plan now does it :

Old 31-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey bender I'm really sorry that I didn't see this thread earlier. I have a few spare alternators in my garage and I've made a wiring harness to test the regulator with a DC power supply. Still no voltage spikes?
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #18
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

As far as i can tell its all come good, thanks for the thought mate, its still not kicking down tho, thats the next problem...

Old 31-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #19
DentEd XR8

The kickdown is all electronically controlled, there's 2 tps's and 2 plugs on the throttle body, one for the auto and one for the motor. Sounds like they're not setup properly or a wiring fault.

I'd do a search and try and find the voltage you should have at the ECU, also try swapping the plugs around and see if the fault swaps, if your really getting desperate I can have a look at it for ya dude.
Old 31-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

sweet mate, thanks for the offer, ill try to figure it out myself tho, but i may be in touch....

Bender runs off and scratches head...

so the kick down cable was only for the 3 speed auto? is that correct?

Old 31-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #21
DentEd XR8

That is correct
Old 05-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #22
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

righto, ive had a bit of a play this morning, theres 2 plugs off the tps, one going to the MAP, one going i assume the the auto, i swapped these over, there was only one wire that was a different colour. I took it for a quick fang riound the block, it felt like it had come good but it was just me hoping i think, its still not kicking down.

The only area thats been fiddled with lately is just there. Im pretty sure its not a TPS or loom problem cause the car wouldnt have run well when i swapped the leads over. This ones got me stumped... :

Old 05-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #23
Simmo
White Lightning

poor bender. time to sell it and get an ed i think.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #24
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

at least my car doesnt squeek like a bitch simmo :thebirds: