Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
tiger99
Starter Motor

Default Gear Selector light

anyone know how to change the bulb in the gear selector on au 99 auto. also looking for info on why my fuel gauge is always showing empty along with DTE (0) thanks :

tiger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

G'day. To change the gear selector bulb, you have to remove the centre console - the WHOLE thing. There are six (6) bolts for this - remove the rubber mould in the space under the ash tray to expose 2 bolts, the other rubber mould in the cup holder - another 2 bolts, and at the very back of the centre console between the side of it and each front seat. There is a bolt (on each side) of the console going into the floor - remove these two, then your whole console should slide/lift out - btw - no need to take off the t-bar from the shifter. Now if you look near the shifter, you will be able to twist out the globe from the little plastic holder and replace it - this is a very easy job and you should be able to jump right into it without any knowledge of removing parts - also this will be a good chance to Armorall and polish your centre console especially in those hard to reach places. Also, if you want to be cool you can change your shifter globe to a different colour - or get a normal globe and colour it in with a permenant marker - blue is kool - don't use red - it's anoying out the corner of your eye. Green is also kool.

With you fuel gauge and DTE, it's probably your fuel sender (level gauge) in the tank that has died. The computer in the ECU calculates the DTE from the fuel remaining and fuel usage - if your tank is empty, or saying it is, DTE will say 0. I doubt it would be you gauge, as DTE doesn't read from the gauge.

Good Luck!
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad you asked cause mine has died too, may be a job for the weekend.

Also good tip for the clean up while its out.. Are you offering?
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
tiger99
Starter Motor

Hey thanks. great info. i like the sound of a different colour. assuming i went with blue, would that cause the couloured letters (P, R & N i think) to be a purpley colour or do they remain red?. also were do i buy these globes from and how much. I heard you can also change the instrument cluster to a different colour. do u know if this is as easy. and with the fuel sender, is that a quick easy job. I am fairly mechanically minded. thanks again
Old 13-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instrument cluster there was a workshop article on AUFalcon.com that was written by JC (long time poster, first time caller) He may have a copy of it still, or Casper may also be able to help...
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Uh... What?
Old 13-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
tiger99
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Uh... What?
Au3 Chaser. to clarify... as the lettering on the slector is orange for park and reverse, and the gear numbers are white or clear, if you put in a blue globe, could i assume that the orange lettering would then appear as purple and the numbers as blue?
Old 13-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I'll first state that i haven't done this myself... yet... I belive that N, D,1,2,3 being clear will come up as the colour of the globe, P & R however i belive won't because the orange is because of orange plastic under the letter, not opaque lettering. Try colouring the globe with a marker, if you don't like it, just wipe off the colour.
Old 13-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I just jumped in my car during my break - The orange is actaully whats selected which is orange plastic, all the letters and numbers are clear.
Old 13-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #10
tiger99
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I just jumped in my car during my break - The orange is actaully whats selected which is orange plastic, all the letters and numbers are clear.
thanks au chaser. makes sense. i still reckon the selected gear would appear purple when illuminated. at the end of the day, it would look pretty decent.... now to work out those instrument lights...