Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile FORD Develops Car with X-Ray Vision

Ford has developed a new braking system which alerts drivers to potential rear-end collisions around blind corners or through dense traffic.

In the latest auto application to harness car-to-car communication, the technology warns drivers of a potential collision ahead even if their view is obstructed.

In emergency braking situations, Ford’s experimental “electronic brake light” transmits a wireless signal to illuminate a dashboard light in cars following behind.

A widespread study conducted by Ford found the technology could enable drivers following behind to brake earlier and potentially mitigate or avoid a rear-end collision.
Advertisement

“Car-to-car and car-to-infrastructure communications represent one of the next major advancements in vehicle safety,” Ford innovation and research vice president Paul Mascarenas said.

“Ford is committed to further real-world testing here and around the world with the goal of implementation in the foreseeable future.”

Rear-end collisions currently account for 25 per cent of all accidents involving provisional drivers, according Transport NSW.

The technology is among 20 systems Ford tested for its Safe Intelligent Mobility project, a joint industry research initiative which concluded in December last year.

Ford’s testing took place in Germany and involved 500 test drivers and 120 vehicles. Participants logged 41,000 hours and 1.6m kilometres on public roads and on an enclosed test track.

Ford has also flagged the inclusion of in-car internet access, enabling access to free parking spaces or live traffic updates, in its upcoming fleet of vehicles.

Audi this month unveiled a similar communications system where cars transmit data from traffic lights to ensure a smooth flow of traffic.

Volvo will next week preview an automatic valet parking system that allows drivers to leave the vehicle to park itself.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...624-2os6o.html

Last edited by csv8; 25-06-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: FORD Develops Car with X-Ray Vision

"it's a gimmick, a gadget we don't need, it will cause too many distractions and accidents..we don't need these things..."
Old 25-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
"it's a gimmick, a gadget we don't need, it will cause too many distractions and accidents..we don't need these things..."
Sorry do you actually understand the potential of V2V and V2I?

How many times do you see on TV (admittedly overseas), huge pile-ups in fog. What if the vehicles in front of you broadcast their location and speed. Your vehicle would be able to advise you when the vehicles in front of you are stationary, whilst you are charging forward at 100kph in fog and in imminent danger of a serious crash.......no use to you or anyone else.
Old 25-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Wretched was having a friendly dig about a recent thread which was on "too many gadgets in cars" like bookface, which only serve as distractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pom View Post
Sorry do you actually understand the potential of V2V and V2I?

How many times do you see on TV (admittedly overseas), huge pile-ups in fog. What if the vehicles in front of you broadcast their location and speed. Your vehicle would be able to advise you when the vehicles in front of you are stationary, whilst you are charging forward at 100kph in fog and in imminent danger of a serious crash.......no use to you or anyone else.
Sarcasm not one of your strong points?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

x-ray, like gamma rays eh? cancer causing rays, yup sounds safe enough to me

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
westy73

I have an idea. How about give me a car that "I" can drive rather than have a computer drive. Wouldn't that be an advancement. Won't be long and the art of driving will be lost to all and you will sit in a seat and be driven around like zombies. Technology is going too far.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

My Lawyer: “Your Honour the reason my clients car was involved in the rear-end collision was due to the faulty electronic brake light unit in the car he was following not transmitting.....”

His Honour: “It wasn’t” ?

My Lawyer: “No your Honour, upon inspection by crash investigators it was discovered it had a blown fuse and was inoperable.....”

His Honour: “In that case i find the defendant not guilty of careless driving, case dismissed.....Next....”

Me: “Woohoo”

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Good idea, assuming that the car behind has the capability to receive the signal!

Volvo trucks has a better idea, how quick this thing stops is scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY