Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you speedo gaze to maintain a legal speed?
Yes, i can not maintain a legal speed without continually checking my speedo 45 52.33%
No, i am able to judge my speed without speedo gazing 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #61
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Default Re: Speed awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Try driving around without continuously checking your speedo and see how you go, it may just work for you.
Good advice, might get you a ticket too ! hahahahaha! but at least ya didnt crash into something huh !

dont get all twisted ppl , just muckin around ! ;)

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 22-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #62
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

double

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 22-06-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 22-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #63
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
So, with a split poll, your saying that anyone who can drive without continually checking their speedo are special, whilst the rest are ordinary?

Ever consider that perhaps we are ordinary and you are maybe lacking something.

But that couldn't be possible could it.

The fact that this poll is so even underlines my point that the ability to drive to the limits without running up some ones **** is quite normal and something that certain drivers have developed, this doesn't make us special, but you may be in awe of it if its something unnatural to YOU.

I once went target shooting with a mate, for the life of me I couldn't hit the target, my hand was too unsteady.
He told me it was easy, and then reeled off half a dozen hits.
I wasn't in awe of him, he had a steady hand and I don't.
Could I develop the skills to shoot better, probably, as I understand that his precision is more about practice and technique as opposed to some unearthly power of concentration.
It is the same with driving, we automatically think that when we get a license we are all equal on the road, this isn't true as everyone develops at different rates.
What comes natural to me may not to you.

Try driving around without continuously checking your speedo and see how you go, it may just work for you.
Awe

In case anyone is unsure, yes indeed, I am taking the ****

No I said nothing about driving fixated to the speedo, I said that I need to keep my velocity in check with continued monitoring.

I laugh at the experts that can drive by feel. LOL Someone even said that know how fast they were travelling by the wind noise FFS.

WTF has being a good marksman got to do with driving?

I don't fixate on my speedo, but be damned if I'm as good as you tools that reckon you can feel the speed your doing within the tolerance of a speed camera working on +/- 5%.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 22-06-2013 at 12:57 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Awe.

Childish, and supports my theory.

I think were done here now, Flappist, a lock if you may.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #65
mungdungas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot View Post
That will NEVER happen when all the governments actually include fine revenue into their budgets.

The NSW government has just increased their projected fine revenue in the budget by 50% above last years.

So when this is happening there is no hope, as the addiction to it is too strong. A DJ asked the treasurer the other day how they can project a 50% increase in fine revenue and put to him that to do so there must be quotas put in place. Well I have never heard someone bumbling and stumbling over their words more than him trying to weazel his way out of the question.
Quite funny to listen to.

As to the OP question I look at my speedo to check my speed, driving a truck all day you only need the slightest dip in the road and your speed will increase.

Anyone that says they can tell the difference in between 60 and 65kph without checking their speedo is just kidding themselves.
yeah ya right there,all their efforts to increase road safety are based around reaching into your pocket but just imagine one day they say we have a new system,the more your fined the higher your rego/insurance etc gets,the less you get caught the cheaper everything gets.It rewards good driving & encourages good drivers to do better.....the only flaw is the gov makes less money
Old 22-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #66
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Dude this sounds so dangerous!!, do you have a cappacino machine on the passenger seat and classical music on as well while you read your paper?
care to elaborate??

using cruise is dangerous because i'm spending too much time looking out the windscreen??

you do realise the cruise buttons are right there on the wheel (FG) and can be activated and cancelled with a simple press on one button, without even moving my hands. you do also realise that it can also be set in 1km/h increments and that if using cruise, you don't HAVE to set it on the speed limit!!

its in human nature to push boundaries. if the speed sign says 60, how many people drive at a touch over that because they bank on the 'tolerance' of the camera's?? is there any proof that the tolerance that was always given, is not still being given, and that they just tell everyone there is zero (or 3km/h or 1km/h)tolerance just so people don't push the limits.

i drive about 20000km/yr including at least one trip to brisbane and back, and i haven't been done speeding in over 15yrs. just lucky i guess!
6 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #67
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the "speedo Gazing" is borne out of paranoia rather than inability to maintain legal speeds. some people are so scared of getting booked that they allow their attention to be diverted away from the main tasks related to driving. I generally have a quick look at all instruments ( remember we need to keep an eye on oil pressure and engine temperature as well)about once a minute and usually glance at the speedo to fine tune when I change speed zones. once I an at speed I am able to tell if my speed is running away and adjust accordingly

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 22-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #68
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
its in human nature to push boundaries. if the speed sign says 60, how many people drive at a touch over that because they bank on the 'tolerance' of the camera's?? is there any proof that the tolerance that was always given, is not still being given, and that they just tell everyone there is zero (or 3km/h or 1km/h)tolerance just so people don't push the limits.

i drive about 20000km/yr including at least one trip to brisbane and back, and i haven't been done speeding in over 15yrs. just lucky i guess!
And that right there is as honest summation as you will get.

This isn't about the money at all, its about us as humans rebelling against any restriction that is put upon us.
Its not that we cant avoid the trap that is a speed camera, its that we don't want to, or furthermore, don't want that threat placed on us in the first place.
Then when some of us fall victim to them, we get on the pedestal and cry that our rights are being eroded and the same old reasons why paranoia has set in and it is so dangerous and doesn't address the problem.

Well, what if they did away with speed cameras as some suggest and the roads became anarchy, remember, not everyone is as rational thinking as the next person. What about the extra Brockys that would come out of the woodwork then, blasting past the speed limit signs knowing full well there aren't enough cops to go 'round.
I suppose that wouldn't happen as that doesn't fit the argument.
Old 22-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #69
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
care to elaborate??

using cruise is dangerous because i'm spending too much time looking out the windscreen??

you do realise the cruise buttons are right there on the wheel (FG) and can be activated and cancelled with a simple press on one button, without even moving my hands. you do also realise that it can also be set in 1km/h increments and that if using cruise, you don't HAVE to set it on the speed limit!!

Fully concur.

The FG is well equipped for this day and age of speed cameras. When the cruise control is set, my eyes are 100% on the road the whole time.

My speed is prominently placed right in front of me digitally, so with a quick glance I know exactly what speed I'm doing. No guesswork trying to judge where the analogue needle is sitting against the markers on the speedometer.

The cruise control set speed is just below this digital speedo, which is adjusted by the buttons as mentioned by Prydey. And I do use the cruise control whenever travelling at a constant speed, whether it is 60, 70, or 110, provided there is no slower traffic ahead, of course. I feel totally secure against speed cameras when its set, without having to look at the speedo at all.

I must admit because of my speedo accuracy and excellent cruise control, I push the boundaries. Knowing that the speed on the digital readout are within 1 km/h of GPS speeds at 80, 90, 100 and 110 kph, also at 60 the digital speedo reads 62, I can set my cruise control confidently at 1 or 2 kph greater than the speed limit (provided there are no steeper downhill stretches where the car can inadvertently increase in speed). I haven't yet been pinged once with a speed camera since they were introduced many years ago. ButI know if I do get pinged, I only have myself to blame for pushing that boundary.

But I do find myself annoyed with the drivers who just sped past me a minute or two before, suddenly braking and slowing down to more than 10 kph less than the speed limit at a speed camera, and are still in the right lane.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #70
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
But I do find myself annoyed with the drivers who just sped past me a minute or two before, suddenly braking and slowing down to more than 10 kph less than the speed limit at a speed camera, and are still in the right lane.
i'm hearing you on this. very annoying.
Old 22-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #71
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Childish, and supports my theory.

I think were done here now, Flappist, a lock if you may.
As requested
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread