Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
lignum

Question EB 6cyl Auto trans query ?

Hi all , I recently bought a cheapish ($800) 92 EB .
It runs fine on lpg , not so great on petrol , however I have trans probs which , unfortunately , didn't show up when test driving it (only about 15mins in a quiet area with 40 to 60kmh speed limits ) : .
Anyhow , before the trans gets hot it's as smooth as anything on all changes , up or down and seems to shift at the right speeds .
As it gets warmed up it starts to get "clunky" on the gear changes from 1st to second and somewhat on 3rd to 4th .
It also starts to make a long shift from 2nd to 3rd quite often and seems to slip on that change at times .
Now I know very little about these thing but I'm assuming the trans is dying . However my bro said it's possibly contaminated or incorrect fluid in the trans causing it .
Can someone in the know tell me if it's worth getting the trans flushed and or serviced , or would the money be better spent put towards having a replacement trans fitted . Being on a pension I don't really have the doe to throw at a flush if it's probably a waste of time .

thanks for any headsup , Bazz.

lignum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

if your transmission is low on oil, it will make the car a bit clunky through the gears, sometimes not even allowing u to select the gear, ie. u have selected Reverse, but there is no drive!!!! so first check the oil level, or replace it. hope it has helped a bit.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
BABOSS

I had the same problem last month, it ended up being a solinoid inside the transy and was replaced.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
lignum

Question

gthofan:
I checked the trans fluid level straight away but it was spot on . I added a small bottle of Nulon auto trans conditioner which didn't help .

FlasherEF:
same symptoms hey , was that including smooth operation when trans is cold ?
Sounds promising , did you fix it yourself , did a mate do it or a shop ? Just wondering on approximate cost if that does turn out to be the problem .
Do you remember if the solenoid had a particular name ?

thanks guys , Bazz.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I had the same problem about 6 months ago, turned out to be the B1 band, which is a $1000 replacement.

Does the trans do the same things when you manually slect gears?

The solenoid that mainly dies is the S5, which is around $380 from Ford, or you can fit either an AU S5 solenoid (which has adjustable line pressure) or a TH700 Corvette/HSV Solenoid, which will fit straight in. Both are around $250. Then you need to add labour onto this, which was about $150 for mine, including a service.

What area are you in lignum? If its any sort of serious problem, a replacement trans will more than likely be a cheaper option than repairing it.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
lignum

cheers Aaron , I'm actually in Adelaide too .
Can an auto trans shop tell if it's the bands or solenoid without opening it up and charging me a fortune or is that the only way to find out .
The problem is that because I know so little about auto trans problems , apart from the obvious (they suck) I can't tell whether the auto repairers are telling b/s or not
when we talk .
Old 03-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
lignum

Just tried it changing manually and it still does it in reply to Aarons' question .
Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I took mine to a place called AutoTrans, and they were really helpful, they did an ECU test to see what was wrong for free, and gave me a few options on what I can do (I took the cheapest way :P ). They also talked me through replacing the torque convertor over the phone for nothing too.

Any trans shop that does regular work to these boxes will have the tool to do an ECU check, which can tell whats wrong without undoing a single nut or bolt.

AutoTrans - 8 Elm St, Hampstead Gdns. Ph 8369 0445

Good luck with it

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
lignum

Talking

Great stuff Aaron , thanks very much .
It's quite relieving to know they can diagnose it without opening it up .
I obviously don't wan't to spend too much on this trans if I have to get a replacement for it .
I think I'll call Autotrans tomorrow and see what they say .
There is a couple of closer places but I've had family members warn me off them as "shady" !

thanks again Bazz
Old 03-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Cheapie NA 400,000ks was like yours, great when cold, clucky and slipy when warm. I took it to Adelaide Autos on Marion Rd, Netly. Service and a Treatment fixed it up pretty good. Cost was $150 and Keeping it in Power Mode seems to help too.
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like the s5 solanoid,,thats exactly what mine did,,an auto expert tld me it was going to die instantly,,it did another 2500 k's before i got it fixed,,
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
lignum

fair enough , I'll post back when I've had it looked at !

cheers
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kewl,,i'd like to know what it turns out to be..
Old 04-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #14
lignum

Well Autotrans is closed until Monday so I went to see B&L Automatics closer to home .
The guy says it's almost always the S5 solenoid in these 4spd transmissions , especially if it works smooth when cold , quoted me $375 including a service .
He also said the ECU test doesn't always show whether the solenoid is naffed .
I've booked it in for Friday morning so I'll find out then .
I hope this fixes it as I can get a trans supplied and fitted for $700 down at Lonsdale !

I'll get back when it's done !
Old 06-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
lignum

Between the service and the replacement S5 solenoid the trans came up fine .
Thanks to all of you for helping me out , much appreciated !

Barry.