Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #31
stevz
Banned

Default Re: Holden needs your cash to keep going

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
My how Holden's tune has changed in six months from a company commiting to stay
as a local producer for another ten years to now saying that it's all up in the air.

I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways and taking cash only to reneg later will put Holden in the firing line.

Maybe that's part of the reason why Ford is opting out, is government funding evaporating?
The way I see it, they are protesting against the flawed policies and unlevel playing fields for local manufacturers and are trying to get some much needed changes brought about. What do you want them to do? Sit on their hands like Ford did?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #32
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The Great Wall Dealership in Essendon Airport closed down
That's great (pun intended). Now hopefully they close the rest of their dealerships and take their cheap and nasty pieces of crap and bugger off out of this country.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Throwing cash at them won't make one iota of difference if they keep our markets so open that we are absolutely flooded with cheap imports.

Its policy changes to protect our industries that will keep them alive, not cash handouts.
And that there is the cut and thrust. Everyone loves to get angry with RARR MY TAX DOLERS HOW DARE U but the reality is without policy to support our own industries, they will never get ahead. Same with these stupid free trade agreements that are lop sided.

Cutting tariffs to 0% and 5% was the final nail in the coffin. The cars that are being imported into Australia are coming from countries whose auto industries are subsidised/protected/whatever you want to call it, well over and above what Australia does for it's own. Contrary to the original intent of the Button Plan to create a level playing field, the playing field is horribly lop sided in favour of offshore manufacturers who get three free kicks: 1) is the strength of our dollar (up until recently) 2) they come from heavily protected markets and 3) low or no tariff barriers in the way.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #34
GT2

We as enthusiasts want an auto industry. The reality is that most Australians don't want what our car makers make (and neither does the rest of the world for that matter) and we just aren't competitive enough anyway.
Government subsidies should be directed towards industries where other nations can't compete. Industries such as farming and food production is where money should be directed.
As the world population continues to grow, so will demand. This will bring in export revenue and and the competition from other nations i think is limited, particularly with the quality who h we can offer.
These are the industries that i would prefer to see supported.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #35
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
We as enthusiasts want an auto industry. The reality is that most Australians don't want what our car makers make (and neither does the rest of the world for that matter) and we just aren't competitive enough anyway.
Government subsidies should be directed towards industries where other nations can't compete. Industries such as farming and food production is where money should be directed.
As the world population continues to grow, so will demand. This will bring in export revenue and and the competition from other nations i think is limited, particularly with the quality who h we can offer.
Yeah to the farmers who would rather bury what they cant sell thand reduce their prices or give it to charity or the meat trade where the better quality stuff is sold overseas at a cheaper price and the less quality stuff is sold here a dearer price.
Old 13-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
As the world population continues to grow, so will demand. This will bring in export revenue and and the competition from other nations i think is limited, particularly with the quality which we can offer.
perhaps the reason we are not competitive enough is we can't afford to be, obviously some companies either have the right sort of business that can just kick on, or they are just lucky.
A lot of companies , particularly those that are labor and energy intensive are feeling the pinch hard, its not just carmakers, again on the news tonight the news of target in geelong giving 250 workers their marching orders, one of the women mentioned how tough it will be with mortgage, etc, and her bloke works at one of the alloy metal smelters that is also on borrowed time, no amount of clever politicians telling them they need to be clever will stop rising fixed costs as well as flooding cheap imports killing the business.
on the other hand for some life is pretty easy if you can vote yourself an 8 percent pay rise every so often with the biggest risk from your job being choking on a chicken wing at a 2 hour lunch break, fair dinkum the scales of fairness need a good calibration..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #37
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

always taken Devereux as a straight up guy, unlike the Ford muppet...

pure speculation if we had a Devereux we would have a HO....

as Boss and others have said, tariffs and our open markets need looking at...

that will take some balls with who evers running the show.. we can only hope they put in the yards....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its all too much effort for the pollies, why do that when you can spend the majority of your time trying to keep yourself in office, who cares about actually making this country better.

Its all about them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

By what most seem to be saying, it is better to have a good and proper policy to promote healthy manufacturing in this country which would be a better scenario than a company just having their hand out asking for benefits? This I agree with totally.

I own a business, I would be laughed at if I asked for a cash handout and wouldn't even bother of course asking, but I will plead for some basic structure, together with some protection for Australian produced products which is absolutely not existent. I only help to support 10 families and also our suppliers but what you need to go through to survive these days does border on criminal. It is that bad.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #40
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
My how Holden's tune has changed in six months from a company commiting to stay
as a local producer for another ten years to now saying that it's all up in the air.

I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways and taking cash only to reneg later will put Holden in the firing line.

Maybe that's part of the reason why Ford is opting out, is government funding evaporating?
renege on what?
holden hasn't got any of that money for jobs dribble.
their still at 10 paces pistol drawn.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The time has come to get of our asses and get onto local members (or even have a go) to get Australia back to a position where you can have a chance of a running good business on a level playing field.
I have no doubt current policy is driven by the elite few who will be setting the agenda and will make massive profits out of the change in our economy. I believe the future will be made up of two classes of citizens and unlike our past it will be virtually impossible to climb up the ladder. Manufacturing, especially the big internationals offer a chance for all to have a decent standard of living. My greatest fear is this will soon be gone.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its quite simple the "free trade agreements" have only killed off our local manufacturing. Its not free trade where the overseas wages are a tenth of ours and the price of the majority of imports reflect that with a ****y up to 5% import tarrif. The main stream consumer buys with their wallet and want gadgets that cost very little. Ford was the last manufacturer that the MAJORITY of components made locally and it was to be the death of them. With Ford closing its the building of a Tsunami on all manufacturing in Australia.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post