Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
fordman302

Default XR8 Fuel Pick up

Hi all, after recently changing my fuel pump as the old one was getting a little sad i have struck a apparent common problem that i never previously had. When accelaerating hard under 1/4 tank after turning the car is cutting out, after checking out some threads from years ago i found that this wasnt an uncommon issue and some mentioned a swirl pot relocation change/modification and some mentioned a different fuel pump, does anyone happen to know what the actual fix is for these? I find it hard to beleive it would be a problem with the pump itself as it only does it after cornering and has no problems in a straight line, any help will be appreciated thanks

fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: XR8 Fuel Pick up

from what i understand taking it out and rotating the fuel pump 180 degrees solved the problem.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

I have had the exact problem you describe. New fuel pump fixed the problem. My existing pump was deteriorating so bad it filled the filter with bits of rubber. Might be worth checking the fuel filter as well.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Turn the sock or pump 180 and it should be rite as stated

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
fordman302

thanks for the info guys, just one thing on rotating the sock is it will then sit up on the edge of the swirl pot, does this need to be picked up and turned as well, it looks like it also can be rotated 180 degrees
Old 19-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
AUFanboy

On mine the sock points to the rear and sits at the bottom of the swirl pot. I had the same problem and fixed it by cleaning the gunk off the sock. I'm assuming you got a new sock with the pump though? Could be a faulty new pump?
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Daniel B

I'm still chasing the exact same problem with mine mate so if you find anything let us know please.
I have pulled it out and checked and the sock is facing the rear and the swirlpot. I doubt this is the issue.
As for gunk on the sock, mine did it since changing the pump, and if it was gunk wouldn't it do it all the time?
Someone else mentioned that it could also be the sock sucking down onto the face of the pump inlet, but I would have also thought this would cause it to do it all of the time.
I am starting to wonder if there are different length pumps and so the shorter ones are sitting too high in the tank.
I haven't even bothered to silicon on the access hole in the boot as I want to try some other stuff. I will def be trying a different type of sock first and see if this fixes it.

Just out of curiosity did you buy your pump from Repco?
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
I'm still chasing the exact same problem with mine mate so if you find anything let us know please.
I have pulled it out and checked and the sock is facing the rear and the swirlpot. I doubt this is the issue.
As for gunk on the sock, mine did it since changing the pump, and if it was gunk wouldn't it do it all the time?
Someone else mentioned that it could also be the sock sucking down onto the face of the pump inlet, but I would have also thought this would cause it to do it all of the time.
I am starting to wonder if there are different length pumps and so the shorter ones are sitting too high in the tank.
I haven't even bothered to silicon on the access hole in the boot as I want to try some other stuff. I will def be trying a different type of sock first and see if this fixes it.

Just out of curiosity did you buy your pump from Repco?
Go and grab a Walbro High Volume GSS-342. Should eliminate these issues for around $130. Easy to adapt to the stock cage.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 19-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
fordman302

I bought a VDO branded pump off ebay, the bit that makes me wonder that its not the pumps fault is that it only does it when i load it up around corners and then take off, if i just put the foot down in a straight line its not a problem. I went for a visit to a ford dealer yesterday and they apparently never made any different pumps for the t3 or any other AU which makes me think when they found their fix they didnt do it by puting in a different pump. The most frustrating thing about it is that i didnt have any issues with the old pump doing it and now the brand new one does, oh it was a new assembly to so its got a new sock on it to, i cant pull it apart yet to have a play as it will have to much fuel in the tank until after christmas
Old 19-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Understand that logic does not dictate it being a fuel pump, but I had the exact same symptoms and it was definitely was the pump. The fuel pump was swapped (nothing else) and the problem was resolved.

I have since moved on to a Walbro unit as even my 2yo stock unit was showing signs of not keeping fuel pressure up.

Good luck.
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 19-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
fordman302

I can't argue with results, whilst looking around the net i have come across this

http://www.fordforums.com/f538/tsb-1...rvation-65745/

TSB 11/04 - AU 250kw Fuel Starvation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject/Concern: Fuel starvation on AU T3 sedan

Models: AU Sedans with 220 kw and 250 kw engines

Description:
Some vehicles experience fuel starvation under hard acceleration or when accelerating out of comers. The symptoms usually manifest as a momentary, severe loss of power. A high flow fuel pump is now available for these vehicles.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual.

Concern Description:
Some vehicles experience fuel starvation under hard acceleration or when accelerating out of sharp corners or roundabouts. The symptoms usually manifest as a momentary, severe loss of power. A high flow fuel pump is now available for these vehicles through FCSD (Ford Customer Service Division) and is supplied on a change-over basis only, as fuel pump and sender unit. The change-over pump should be used only on those vehicles tha experience a genuine fuel pump failure. Dealers intending to make a warranty claim against the fuel pump must first obtain prior approval.

Service Action:
When a vehicle in the model range detailed above, is presented with a suspected fuel starvation problem, please cant' out all necessary inspections to confirm that the problem is due to fuel pump failure and not some other caus (please also ensure that the pick-up strainer is not clogged). If fuel pump failure is confirmed, obtain prior approval and replace pump and sender with change over unit.

Service Procedure:
Road test the vehicle and confirm that the symptoms described in the precis are present. During road test, the fuel level should be below half tank as the symptoms are more prevalent with low fuel condition. If the symptoms are
present, check the integrity of electrical connections at the fuel pump and the integrity of the fuel pump relay activating circuit. A fault in the fuel pump relay activating circuit will be indicated by Code P0230 displayed during the PCM Self Test. If the integrity of power supply to the pump has been confirmed, remove the fuel pump as described in Section 10-2 of the AU workshop manual, and inspect the pick-up strainer. If the pick-up strainer is clogged, replace strainer and inline fuel filter and road test vehicle to ensure that the symptoms have been eliminated. If the pick up strainer is clear, replace fuel pump assembly with high flow pump (refer to Section 10-2 of the AU Workshop

My car was originally a 200kw but didnt have this problem, wondering if it had also been changed at some stage, kicking myself now for throwing the old one out, thought it had issues and was getting old and would make sense to change, now it turns out that i would have been better off with it
Old 22-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Daniel B

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Understand that logic does not dictate it being a fuel pump, but I had the exact same symptoms and it was definitely was the pump. The fuel pump was swapped (nothing else) and the problem was resolved.

I have since moved on to a Walbro unit as even my 2yo stock unit was showing signs of not keeping fuel pressure up.

Good luck.
Stu
Logic hey......lol. The strange thing is mine shouldn't have problems keeping up as far as i'm aware its stock apart form the exhaust.....

Thanks heaps for your help and to everyone else, looks like i'll get a new pump for it.
Old 22-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Daniel B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman302 View Post
I can't argue with results, whilst looking around the net i have come across this

http://www.fordforums.com/f538/tsb-1...rvation-65745/

TSB 11/04 - AU 250kw Fuel Starvation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject/Concern: Fuel starvation on AU T3 sedan

Models: AU Sedans with 220 kw and 250 kw engines
Wow, thanks for that. Well mines not a 220 or 250 but has the exact symptoms.
Do you think ford will do it under warranty......?
Old 22-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Daniel B

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Go and grab a Walbro High Volume GSS-342. Should eliminate these issues for around $130. Easy to adapt to the stock cage.

Stu
Where's the best place to buy one? I see them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_s...pos=3073&gbr=1
for quite cheap. Wonder if they are genuine.
Also will this effect fuel pressure at the injectors ie. using more fuel. Or will the standard regulator be able to deal with the increase in pressure ok?
Old 22-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
Where's the best place to buy one? I see them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_s...pos=3073&gbr=1
for quite cheap. Wonder if they are genuine.
Also will this effect fuel pressure at the injectors ie. using more fuel. Or will the standard regulator be able to deal with the increase in pressure ok?
I have always used Justin at Tuff Car Parts - forum sponsor. Fantastic service and usually next day delivery (depending on where you are of course).

Send a PM to forum user Private9 or sales@tuffcarparts.com

Install pics of mine here.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...postcount=1463

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 22-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

And while your at it don't forget to change the filter if you haven't already, one less cause as well

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

AFF saves the day again!

My AU 2 XR8 has this issue.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: