Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why do Aussies know past criminals and not of those like Francis Birtles

Chatting at work during the week and we were discussing adventuring around OZ. I bought up Francis Birtles and no one had heard of him! WTF! It amazes me as a country we have come to know and some even admire criminals like Ned Kelly, Squizzy Taylor, Chopper Reid etc. but no one has heard of the real heroes of our past. Makes me sad.
Do a Google search, get some books, either way it will inspire.

mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why do Aussies know past criminals and not of those like Francis Birtles

Human nature ............
Many remember the bad things that people do morso than the good things they do ....
Think of past friends,and why we no longer speak,its the bad things they done,we remember always over all the good times had ....
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Tickford Rebel
Youngling

Default Re: Why do Aussies know past criminals and not of those like Francis Birtles

Also Tv shows and movies totally glorify these scum crims and gangsters. Would be nice for networks to start airing some stories about our genuine hero's for a change.
Old 18-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Francis Birtles story would make an excellent doco or even a recreation mini series!
Old 18-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Never heard of him

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

never heard of him.. glad I now have.. thanks.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To answer the OPs question, we know all the "baddies" because that is our history.
We are founded on thieves, rascals, scoundrels and other kindred criminals.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

and secretly we all wish we were badasses haha....
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
To answer the OPs question, we know all the "baddies" because that is our history.
We are founded on thieves, rascals, scoundrels and other kindred criminals.
Oh yes, the "Australia was a Penal colony" myth.
Old 19-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Matty4
Banana

Warren Brown, the cartoonist from the Daily Telegraph and from the 1st season of Top Gear Australia has written a book about him.
I also remember him presenting a documentary about Francis Birtles on one of the Foxtel channels quite a few months ago, was a fascinating story.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Len Beadell..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dunno about you peeps but about the only history i recall being taught about in school was ned kellly, i believe the reason we know bugger all about our own country's history is a lack of decent school education.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I went we learned about all the explorers who helped open up this land, bushrangers, Governors, the States and Territories, major milestones, the early settlement story including the near misses, the river systems, artesian bores, deserts, climate...
Should I keep going?
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I had heard a little of him and his drive from Darwin to Melbourne but that was all.

The reason we have little history is I think manifold, 1. We have only been here since 1788, 2. The Pommies ran the place and only their history got taught, 3. Today it isn't politically correct because whites are invaders and learning Aussie history may upset someone?

A lot of kids today know more about Yank history than about our own.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always wondered why we idolise and have TV shows about and put tattoos on our bodies and such about criminals, instead of the true heroes and explorers of our past.

Look at Ned Kelly...to be blunt, he was a savage cop killing horse thief who got what he deserved, and the only reason he's remembered is because he tried to (unsuccessfully) cover himself in old bits of metal to stop police bullets. Why is he a "hero"...?

Look at the TV series...Underbelly, the upcoming Squizzy Taylor one...why do we idolise criminals and ignore the true leading lights that made our country what it is today?

How about a TV mini series about Gelegnite Jack...? Now that would be a "blast"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post

A lot of kids today know more about Yank history than about our own.
You mean like when Nixon got elected the 30th President of earth and defeated the space Nazi's? EVERYBODY knows that!

Honesty, we got Burke and Wills, our forefathers who settled the colonies and how they raped, pillaged and plundered, as well as jolly ol' ned... that was it.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
dunno about you peeps but about the only history i recall being taught about in school was ned kellly, i believe the reason we know bugger all about our own country's history is a lack of decent school education.
This is very true. The problem is many schools have 'fixed' programs with little scope for individualism.

I taught year 6 last year and one of the first things they asked was about my Africa trip in the holidays. It was soon obvious they had little knowledge of countries / continents etc so I integrated a weekly homework task where they fish out a country / independant state out of a box (some 220 of them!) and they needed to fill in a 2 page report.

Took them almost 3 tearms to finish the box but they very much enjoyed it.

I now teach at the high school and the teacher who teaches geography commented that they have the most general knowledge of countries and continents of any year 7 class she has ever had.

Couldn't wipe the smile off my face ;)

If I have another upper primary class I know what my next homework research task will be ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
This is very true. The problem is many schools have 'fixed' programs with little scope for individualism.

I taught year 6 last year and one of the first things they asked was about my Africa trip in the holidays. It was soon obvious they had little knowledge of countries / continents etc so I integrated a weekly homework task where they fish out a country / independant state out of a box (some 220 of them!) and they needed to fill in a 2 page report.

Took them almost 3 tearms to finish the box but they very much enjoyed it.
I wish we had a school with relaxed policies like this.

Our teacher for social history got scowled for engaging us to the point we got interested and asked our parents and teachers questions.

She openly told the class a week later she was not allowed to teach outside of the curriculum, that she will NEVER tell us her opinion or point of view on a subject as this was deemed 'misleading' and 'coercive'.

So to get around it, she would direct us to material outside of the curriculum, but it would never see the classroom. She just suggested places it might be found.

A very engaged and happy class went back to being quite mundane.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just finished reading Darcy Dugan's book (only released last year), very intereting bloke and times
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
we got Burke and Wills

Quality media personalities those ones.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
RJ94
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riksta View Post

quality media personalities those ones.
lmfao!
RJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post