Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

Default Au falcon Thermo fan problem ! Help !

Hi all, my thermo fan just stays on constantly when in driving ad it takes my car forever to heat up, I was thinking it was either the thermostat itself or the thermo temp sensor.

Any ideas hint or tips on how to fix this problem ?

lucasgentle1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Au falcon Thermo fan problem ! Help !

Hi & welcome to AFF, are the fans coming on as soon as you start the car? Or do they come on when the temp needle hits the last line below the c on temp gauge? Check your fan relays first located in the engine compartment fuse box- you can swap over the headlight relay's (black, under bonnet fuse box) & ac relay (green, located in the interior fuse box) with the fan relays in the under bonnet fuse box, observe any changes & get back to us.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Check to see if both fans are on or only 1. If its one fan the other is stcuk or dead nad you will need to get a new fan. Goood nes is they are easy to get and cheap.
tech guide is here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...articleid=1292

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you have the aircon switched on when you start it up?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

How stupid do you think I am ?
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi & welcome to AFF, are the fans coming on as soon as you start the car? Or do they come on when the temp needle hits the last line below the c on temp gauge? Check your fan relays first located in the engine compartment fuse box- you can swap over the headlight relay's (black, under bonnet fuse box) & ac relay (green, located in the interior fuse box) with the fan relays in the under bonnet fuse box, observe any changes & get back to us.

cheers, Maka
They come on as soon as I start the car, it took 45 minutes for my car just to reach the normal temp !
I'll check my relays as soon as I get home from work (:
Old 13-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Good luck, hopefully that's the prob! Mik's suggestion was genuine, when troubleshooting we like to start from free / cheap stuff first then go from there. Let us know how things went.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgentle1994 View Post
How stupid do you think I am ?
No need for agro bloke, a simple question, no one knows you or how acquainted with the model you are.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Good luck, hopefully that's the prob! Mik's suggestion was genuine, when troubleshooting we like to start from free / cheap stuff first then go from there. Let us know how things went.

cheers, Maka
Hey mate !
Yeah it is still running constantly, but it had a slight change when I put it all back , the fan would go off for 2 seconds every 3 minutes and come straight back on.
Old 13-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Check to see if both fans are on or only 1. If its one fan the other is stcuk or dead nad you will need to get a new fan. Goood nes is they are easy to get and cheap.
tech guide is here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...articleid=1292

UK
Hey mate , both fans are running !
Old 13-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
No need for agro bloke, a simple question, no one knows you or how acquainted with the model you are.
Sorry mate , not meaning to be rude !
Had a tough day yesterday !
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
BHDOGS
Banned

hmmm id say check your thermo temp sensor
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
lucasgentle1994
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
hmmm id say check your thermo temp sensor
Yeah that's what a couple guys have said to me , where is it on the Au engine ?
Old 13-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgentle1994 View Post
Hey mate , both fans are running !
OK that means my fix is not for your problem. Sorry can't think of anything that hasn't already be mentioned.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
BHDOGS
Banned

I think they are controlled by the ECU which has a temp sensor at the back of the engine block ... and since yours are blasting away like the engine is over heating I would have a look at the sensor.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

I'd say check & or replace the thermo temp sender on the back of the cylinder head (left hand side) too, pretty likely for sure. If you don't like guessing what the problem is get a ecu scan from your local mechanic to confirm what the problem is then rectify from there.

cheers, Maka

Old 14-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
gra

if only 1 fan is running it may just be a fan relay for the second fan that was the cause for mine

cheers
gra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Probably a cheap way to diagnose this one is to purchase one of those Elm connectors and download forscan. I finally picked one up for about $15. Repco, will want about $140 for a new temp sensor.
Select data pids for the temp sensor and the T-MAP sensors. On start up the temperatures outputs for both sensors should be fairly close - you will know which one is lying to you once you have this info.

If the fans are running consistently, the relays could be stuck closed. Just pull them out and check for continuity on the load side. There will be numbers/diagram on the side of the relay - load side will be represented by a picture of a gate.

Other alternative if you dont have access to a scanner is to read the voltage directly on the temp sensor. Two wire design, signal and ground. The ground is shared, so you can read it from another sensor that is a little bit easier to get to. Needs to be <100mv.

The signal is monitored by the PCM and it is a pain to get to. Either unplug the sensor to set up a lead to backprobe it, or backprobe at the next connector or the computer. When the car is cold it should read close to 5v. As it approaches operating temp it should read between .5v to 1.5v. You temp guage in the car works off this, so if it is stuck on cold for ages, there could be low resistance in the circuit.

Is the car actually cold when it say it is? The computer will switch the fans on as a pre-caution once it detects an open circuit in reagrds to the temp sensor.

Last edited by Evgeni; 16-03-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post