Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Australian Land Speed Record Broken

WITH the Australian land speed record under his belt, Logan City speed demon Trevor Slaughter wants to take on the world.

On a test run at the salt lakes in South Australia last Friday, the 58-year-old surpassed all expectations in his car's maiden voyage by reaching 407km/h.

That was 80.46km/h faster than the previous record.

Mr Slaughter now wants to be the first Australian to crack the world record for a wheel-driven vehicle - as opposed to a jet-powered car - by reaching at least 800km/h this year.

His son, Ben, said: "On all of the runs the car was at full throttle for less then 10 seconds. To get out there and already be half way to our goal is incredible."

But it wasn't all plain sailing as cracks developed in the bodywork and wind gusts on one run damaged the nose, resulting in emergency repairs.

Trevor, a former drag racer, has spent 30 years planning the attempt and more than six years building his vehicle, so far spending about $1.5 million.

The car will fitted with a 4900 horsepower Chinook helicopter engine on the next attempt.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/questn...-1226585464606

Last edited by csv8; 26-02-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian Land Speed Record Broken

i thought the falcon taxi did about that speed the other day??
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
i thought the falcon taxi did about that speed the other day??
yup it did

Norm Bradshaw has broken the 400kph barrier with a Stella run at 408.7kph on the first day of Speed Week held at sunny lake Gairdner in Sth Australia .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh...

30 years planning and 6 years building... To reach a speed possible by some cars right out of the factory?

Also, being excited about being half way to your goal? Are owners of 20 second 1/4mile cars excited theyre only half way to a 10 second pass?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good on Mr Slaughter for this achievement, but I had in my mind (being an old fart) that Donald Campbell did 403.1 MPH in a wheel-driven vehicle (Bluebird - CN7) at Lake Eyre in 1964. I know that was a turbine engine driving through the wheels - maybe the difference between classes relates to piston engines vs turbine engines, or some other factor?

Quote Wiki (Donald Campbell):
"Campbell and his team returned to Lake Eyre in 1964, but the surface never returned to the promise it had held in 1962 and Campbell had to battle with CN7 to reach record speeds (over 400 mph (640 km/h)). After more light rain in June, the lake finally began to dry enough for an attempt to be made. On 17 July 1964, Campbell set a record of 403.10 mph (648.73 km/h) for a four-wheeled vehicle (Class A). Campbell was disappointed with the record as the vehicle had been designed for much higher speeds. CN7 covered the final third of the measured mile at an average of 429 mph (690 km/h), peaking as it left the measured distance at over 440 mph (710 km/h)...............

Campbell's 429 mph (690 km/h) speed on his final Lake Eyre run remained the highest speed achieved by a wheel-driven car until 2001."

Just to put it in perspective.

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The reason why Norm Bradshaw's AU cannot claim the record is because there were not runs made in both directions, a requirement for an "official" record.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thFordWA View Post
Campbell's 429 mph (690 km/h) speed on his final Lake Eyre run remained the highest speed achieved by a wheel-driven car until 2001."
On re-reading the news reports, I think that Slaughter has set the record for the fastest AUSTRALIAN in a wheel-driven vehicle. I don't think the news reporters worry about the difference too much!
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
bartaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
WITH the Australian land speed record under his belt, Logan City speed demon Trevor Slaughter wants to take on the world.

On a test run at the salt lakes in South Australia last Friday, the 58-year-old surpassed all expectations in his car's maiden voyage by reaching 407km/h.

That was 80.46km/h faster than the previous record.

Mr Slaughter now wants to be the first Australian to crack the world record for a wheel-driven vehicle - as opposed to a jet-powered car - by reaching at least 800km/h this year.

His son, Ben, said: "On all of the runs the car was at full throttle for less then 10 seconds. To get out there and already be half way to our goal is incredible."

But it wasn't all plain sailing as cracks developed in the bodywork and wind gusts on one run damaged the nose, resulting in emergency repairs.

Trevor, a former drag racer, has spent 30 years planning the attempt and more than six years building his vehicle, so far spending about $1.5 million.

The car will fitted with a 4900 horsepower Chinook helicopter engine on the next attempt.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/questn...-1226585464606
I have been going to the Salt every year that is has been running since 2001.
It is an awesome event and something everybody should try and get to. I would like to tell a few truths as there seems to a fair bit of speculation out there.

I am sure that Trevor reliases that Sir Donalds speed is the quickest that a wheel driven car has travelled in Australia thus far. I fully exspect Trevor to surpass this, and wish him all the best of luck. His target of 800 KM/h is no small effort and will take some time to achieve.

I don't know where the paper got those fiqures from but there are several cars that have gone faster than 327 km/h, which is what the paper states was the record. Off the top of my head there are:

John Lynchs Bellytank: 301.729 MPH (485 km/hr)
Rod Hadfields Commodore: 259.067 MPH (416 km/hr)
John Noonan Hayabusa: 235.740 MPH (379 km/hr). I know it is a bike but it is still wheel driven. I'm sure there are more but these ones stick in my head.

I happen to be part of John Lynchs crew and fully expect Trevor to surpass our 301 MPH mark. All I am trying to say is please don't believe everything you read in the papers.

This year we had a good run going, running 267 MPH on a short course run and then on our second run we were doing 265 MPH at the first timer and 277 MPH at the second, when the engine failed. Here a few pics of the car:

For all of the results from this year please visit this page:

http://www.dlra.org.au/2013.htm

From there you can acess all of the speeds from years gone by, rules and regulations, no bull.

Yes, that is our Commodore push car.

Last edited by bartaxr8; 26-02-2013 at 10:08 PM.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
bartaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
The reason why Norm Bradshaw's AU cannot claim the record is because there were not runs made in both directions, a requirement for an "official" record.
There is no requirement for a run to have to be done in both directions for that run to be reconised as a record in Australia, that is a U.S thing. We don't have the logistics, or the time for a run in both directions.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartaxr8 View Post
There is no requirement for a run to have to be done in both directions for that run to be reconised as a record in Australia, that is a U.S thing. We don't have the logistics, or the time for a run in both directions.
Its a FIA thing isn't it? So, if someone sets a record as not part of the DLRA, it would be internationally recognised as the fastest?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
XWGT