Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Power war is on

there should be no super car scare anyway, we are not in the 70`s now, any of these powerful cars have so many safety aids in 99% of cases you would have to be driving like an utter tool head and be hugely on the wrong side of the law to get them out of shape, bugger me the way some cars handled back in the 70`s and 80`s you did`nt need any power to get them out of shape, a perfect example was my mums old s3 blue bird, the thing was frighteningly easy to get crossed up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Yes, 0-100 times and quarter mile runs are vitally important, because everyone only uses their car on a dragstrip...

The last time I actually saw someone get into a $200,000-plus exotic supercar was in Brisbane...and I reckon inside that expensive tailored suit he was wearing, if he wasn't close to 80 years old I'll eat my hat.

AMG stuff might be popular in Europe...but it's half the damn price there or less than what we pay...look at the many comparisons of, for one make, Porsche and what they pay in the USA and what we pay here for the exact same car.

People...ordinary people with a good wage...might actually consider one of these AMG's or whatever as a family car. Here, they're expensive scarecely-used toys for investment bankers and doddering old millionaires to gently cruise down to the coffee shop on a sunny sunday morning...

I would lay lefty on the chopping block and predict that no potential FPV or HSV driver will even test drive an AMG, much less seriously consider buying one as an "alternative" to an FPV or HSV...

In Australia, they're an interesting technical exercise, but so far into the stratosphere costwise that you will never see one driven in anger by a talented younger driver as intended.
Well "squeeky", I test drove a BMW M3, BMW 335i Msport, BMW 135i Msport, Lexus ISF and Merc C63 AMG as well as FPV and HSV back when I was looking to replace my datto in 2010.

If you want to see newish Ms, AMGs, Porsches, AUDIs and even Ferraris etc. on full song wander down to Lakeside or QR on a play day.

I raced, I mean practiced advanced driver training, against many at Lakeside in my F6 a while back and while I never had a problem with Falcons or Holdens and could mix it up with some of the Ms etc. the "real" go fast cars like GTRs, Porsches and exotics just disappeared after the first corner in fact most were so fast that I and all the other FPV/HSVs was not even allowed to be on the track at the same time as them as we were just a rolling roadblock. Most of the exotic drivers were younger than me and I was in my 40s.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV View Post
From my experiences FPV, SRT8 and HSV are the first step then when they have improved their wealth they get into the AMG and the other germans. Or go straight for AMG.
Yep ..... same as those who start off with an XT and eventually work their way up to an FPV .... then some start with an FPV and work their way up to AMG, M or whatever.

When I bought my GT of course I test drove everything I thought was a contender ..... admit some were a couple of years older based on the $$$ I was spending at the time, but some of those were worth $200,000 when new. AND still bought the GT335. Wrote a long thread on the cars that were available in the price range and when you start to seriously look, with money in your pocket, as nice as an AMG might be, the age, K's and condition of the 80k plus models, many were looking very second hand ..... especially at that price and hard to justify. The FPV was easily justifiable

...... I think ol' Lefty has left the building

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
Angeldust

its funny, that 30-40 years ago, the performance of a porsche wasn't that far off a holden torana (or any of the local v8 offerings). AS time went on, that gap has just gotten wider and wider to the point where it will never be close again...

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
supercar scare round 2 we soon will all drive zee prius
forget the prius...the one at my wifes had to be forced down people throats...NOONE would drive it....they even had to arrange special drive leasons so they would drive the thing
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV View Post
Any car that has been built to handle that type of power levels and comes with factory backing is refined.
The falcon is refined and is not too far behind what the germans have.
Got to keep in mind the R & D done on the cars and their R & D budgets allocated. Also the price point the car is positioned at.
I am sure if the consumer paid 200k for a falcon then they would get their moneys worth of refinement and development.
I think we should be proud of falcon in terms of refinement as it has come along way since 30 years ago.
Can't wait for the next update of the falcon. I am sure it will be a cracker of a car in terms of development and refinement.
And if you still don't think the falcon is refined then go and spend some time with a german car and then go and compare it to the falcon.
and do it with the badges covered and eyes closed...actually maybe eyes open would be better
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post