Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Hell Cat

Default Car dealership has damaged my paint.

I took my 12month old black Citroen van into the dealer to get some warranty work done on it late last week. (Keep blowing headlight bulbs & the window regulator came loose in the door & was rattling)

The person working on it must not have seen the screws on the door card to remove it because you can see where they originally tried levering the door card with a screw driver, it has damaged the door card & scratched the door pretty bad, it's only noticeable when you lean down to look. They managed to round out the torques key screws also.

They washed it (I didnt ask them too) & have ruined the paint, there is swirls/ light scratches all over the car & two big scratches on the back doors.

I picked it up after hours so I couldn't speak to them in person. I called them this weekend & have told them I'm bringing it in this Monday to show them what they've done & that I want them to sort it out/pay to get it properly polished out.

I'm pretty sure they just used a rag & plain water, its so rough.
I only wash the car every 3-4weeks but when I wash it I use two buckets, microfiber spongues & McGuires soap.

Has this happened to any of you? Did they agree to fix it?
Any advice.

Last edited by flappist; 17-02-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: swear filter
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Car dealership has damaged my paint.

I am not disputing your claims, but the trouble is, how can you prove it was the dealership?

Last edited by flappist; 17-02-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: fixing header
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
I am not disputing your claims, but the trouble is, how can you prove it was the dealership?
That's the problem you'll face unfortunately.
And the fact you took the car away from the yard makes it even harder to dispute.
I've learned the hard way too... Now whenever I take my car for a service, I always make them write 'do not wash' on the job sheet.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread

Last edited by flappist; 17-02-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: fixing header
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, some dealerships...even quite large ones which should know better...do a craphouse job washing cars. When we owned a 100 series Landcruiser in a pleasant dark metallic blue, we took it in for a warranty service, and when we walked back to pick it up, I was sitting in the waiting area and saw it drive up to a bay near the workshop, and someone start to wash it. It was pretty dusty and grimy from roadworks on the way in to Rocky, and the guy was using a plain old Warehouse-brand sponge and a hose, with the odd slop of mildly soapy water from a bucket...no hosing it down first to get rid of or loosen up the dirt first, just on with the wet sponge and scrub away!

I immediately got onto the service guy and told him I wanted it washed properly (if they washed it at all)...his amazing response was "It's only a four wheel drive, they aren't show quality you know". I told him I washed it with a good microfiber "noodle" mitt and Maguires wash, and he actually said "That's a bit of a waste of money on a fourbie"...what, even a four year old one, you idiot?
Thankfully the actual manager saw things differently when I told him what was going on, and said it wasn't "normal policy" to wash cars like that, and when I pointed out swirls in the paint and kicked up enough of a stink, I managed to get a full detail out of them to fix it all up again.

If I'd have left the dealership however my chances would have been slim to none...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
peterljohnson55

What did you SIGN when you picked-up the car?
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I used to on a XR6 in blueprint and after a service, there was a big bird poop sitting on the roof. They must of parked it under a tree. When I open the door the floor mat was all screwed up. As I had just clean the car inside and out before the service, I went off. I think because my missus dropped it off they thought a female owned it, probably thought she wouldn't notice. Anyway after I spat the dummy they gave me a full detail, but the manager wouldn't tell me which service guy worked on it. As I wanted to give him a piece of my mind.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

Be happy with the detail. The manager must of realised one of his guys has stuffed up and it sorted out a resolution.

I have a team of guys working for me and if I were a service manager, I would have done the same, provided you with a resolution in your favour, and dealt with the employee myself. Never should a manager single out one of his team to a customer as the one who stuffed up.

It's not only poor form, but that employee is less likely to improve the way he does things than if you sit him down privately, or at least within the team away from the public eye.
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

Oops, thought post #6 was post one, my bad, still getting use to tapatalk
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Matt5933

I picked my car up from a mechanic once after a service and the boot (wagon) was completely covered in pastry (the kind that falls off a sausage roll or pie when you eat it). after i complained i learnt that it was used as the lunch run vehicle. Wasn't impressed they used my car and my fuel as there errand car as well as leaving their crap all through it without cleaning it up.
Matt5933 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Hell Cat

Went & saw them today.

Taking it in next week & they're going to arrange for it to get fixed, theyre also give me a loaner car for a few days.

Just have to be firm with them but not aggressive. (Plus I have purchased two new cars from them in the past two years)

If anyone is wondering why I have a Citroen & am on a ford forum it's because I also have had an xm & xp for the past 7 years.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
satria
FOXWHO

My local mitsu dealer scratched the bejeebuz out of my lancer recently. It's full of swirls now that i'll have to fix myself but to be honest I felt like I couldn't be mad at them for trying to do something nice (by washing my car), after all 90% of people probably would be happy.

I'll just fix it up and remember to ask them not to wash my car next time

If it was any more than swirls though I would be bringing the car back!
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

After seeing may threads like this on AFF, I wonder why people go to dealers for servicing.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

A service department is there to service your car. You should always specify not to have the car washed, because this is an all-too-common occurrence unfortunately.

Want your car washed/cleaned/detailed - take it to a detailer (not a carwash cafe as they will also ruin your paint...if you don't believe me try it yourself and see the results).

I don't give my customers cars an oil change when they're here for a detail...

Satria, let me know if you want the Lancer fixed up properly.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
g4orce

usually talking firm but not aggressive works the best with complaints/ returns.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I used to on a XR6 in blueprint and after a service, there was a big bird poop sitting on the roof. They must of parked it under a tree. When I open the door the floor mat was all screwed up. As I had just clean the car inside and out before the service, I went off. I think because my missus dropped it off they thought a female owned it, probably thought she wouldn't notice. Anyway after I spat the dummy they gave me a full detail, but the manager wouldn't tell me which service guy worked on it. As I wanted to give him a piece of my mind.
Was the mechanic supposed to sense the incoming bird and then jump in front of the falling bird **** to prevent it hitting your car?
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

No but he didn't have to jump in the car with his boots on and screw my mat up. And any idiot knows that birds sit in trees, so don't park your car under them. You take your car into be serviced not ****** up. And it wasn't just a little patch of poo, it was a fair bit.
Old 19-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
After seeing may threads like this on AFF, I wonder why people go to dealers for servicing.
Most of the time is to keep their warranty, as some state must be serviced at a dealership.
Old 19-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Long time ago I previously had a VX SS, anyway it was time for the 1500K first service and a girl was anxious to drive it round to me to collect. She wasnt familiar with manuals and rolled it into the back of a statesman. Anyway couple of people came out said hardly any damage no need to do anything I wasn't in the best mood so took the car and said I would be in contact with the manager. One of the guys said it just like stone chips it happens, I replied I get stone chips thats my problem, you crash my car thats your problem. Next day called the manager who was apologetic and had the front bar re sprayed. As g4orce said be firm, but courteous, no point ripping into people it doesn't help.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
No but he didn't have to jump in the car with his boots on and screw my mat up. And any idiot knows that birds sit in trees, so don't park your car under them. You take your car into be serviced not ****** up. And it wasn't just a little patch of poo, it was a fair bit.
But would you have complained if they'd left it sitting in the sun?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Hell Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post

I took it in for warranty work.

In the past 3years ive been taking the two cars that I purchased from them and they have never washed them before.
Old 20-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

So hellcat, after taking up your concern with the dealer what has happened?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #22
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
So hellcat, after taking up your concern with the dealer what has happened?
Read post #10:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...0&postcount=10

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
But would you have complained if they'd left it sitting in the sun?
No I would rather it in the sun, then bird poo stuffing my paint.
This user likes this post: